Biggest Surprise Ever?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Wow... This is truly amazing:

We've all heard of surprise parties, but to pull off a surprise WEDDING is just pure awesome!

Last edited:
Whatever was supposed to have been linked to this seems to have gotten away from you. The degree of amazement depends on exactly who was being surprised.

Given the title of the thread and the fact that Kent posted it, I opened the thread with great expectation that Apple had announced that they were supporting Flash on the iOS platforms...

Whatever was supposed to have been linked to this seems to have gotten away from you.

Fixed. Oddly, there was an extra character on the video ID on the site I picked it up from. :dunno:

The degree of amazement depends on exactly who was being surprised.

The bride. Weddings surprise other people all the time. ;)

She thought she was going to a retirement party for someone, and when she arrived, he asked her to marry him... Right now, right here.

Umm......

Maybe I'm old, but don't most women sorta like having some input on the whole wedding thing.... ??

She did - He asked her all kinds of little questions over the course of a year about what she wanted at her wedding, right down to table decorations. Then he made it happen, right down to the last detail.

The video's well worth a watch... The dude did an AWESOME job of putting it together. I'm impressed. Props.

Uh, what about the marriage license?! What they'll go to the court house to get it and say "We got married yesterday?"

Uh, what about the marriage license?! What they'll go to the court house to get it and say "We got married yesterday?"

Wet blanket that I am, I wondered the same thing.

There may be jurisdictions in which marriage license is not required; absent that, I figure they could go down, get the paper, and back-track with a simple civil ceremony.

Even absent any paperwork, or even the presence of a properly-qualified person officiating, in Texas, if the participants consider themselves married, it's pretty much a done deal.

Especially their mother... doing a wedding without MIL's input could be a lifetime pain event.

I saw her Dad in the video, but Mom was conspicuously absent... maybe she's deceased or otherwise not involved in the girl's life? In any case, with the level of detail this gentleman covered in his bride's wedding, if MIL was around, I'm betting she was involved, like her girlfriends were.

I had the same thought, then my wife noted that she specifically said "I thought we were going to have a fake BBQ for the family, and we were planning to run away to Vegas to get married," or something to that general effect. In other words, I bet he used the 'let's go to Vegas' excuse to have her go with him to get a wedding license. Oh, but wait... this was in Ontario. :idea:

There may be jurisdictions in which marriage license is not required; absent that, I figure they could go down, get the paper, and back-track with a simple civil ceremony.

Even absent any paperwork, or even the presence of a properly-qualified person officiating, in Texas, if the participants consider themselves married, it's pretty much a done deal.
I wondered that too, but there was something in there where she said she thought they were going to elope or something like that. That could explain the license, but then there seem to be inconsistencies with asking her to marry him on the day and asking her questions about what she would like at the wedding. Anyway, props.

Generally, that amount of shock and surprise is saved for the divorce.

(Dark humor aside, I might have wiped away some stupid tiny damp thing by my eye.)

Especially their mother... doing a wedding without MIL's input could be a lifetime pain event.

I suspect Mom was involved. There were actually quite a few people in the know, surprised it remained a secret.

I'm an even wetter blanket and was wondering the same thing as the guy who said, "What if she says no?"

Obviously they had discussed marriage in some detail before, though.

If our daughter had gotten married without my wife's input, you wouldn't have wanted to be on the same continent. Oh, the planning that went into that day...

Call me a wet blanket, too. I wondered the same thing.

One of my wife's tenants gave birth without even knowing she was pregnant. Seriously. Apparently morbidly obese women can miss menstrual cycles. And if sufficiently obese, one might not notice...

Severe loss of man card. He could have put that time, and money into:

A. Learning to fly. (in a Grumman)
B. Bird hunting with a loyal dog.
C. Off roading in the mountains.
D. Gold mining.
E. Hosting Barbarian Feasts complete with ale and wenches.
F. ALL OF THE ABOVE!

:D

One of my wife's tenants gave birth without even knowing she was pregnant. Seriously. Apparently morbidly obese women can miss menstrual cycles. And if sufficiently obese, one might not notice...

Uhhh... Does food kick? :dunno:

Ask any country doctor about girls coming in and giving birth and not knowing they were pregnant... it definitely happens.

I clearly remember a mom bringing her daughter into the ER for abdominal pain (western KY in the mid '80s). I do the initial workup as a paramedic student, and take the normal samples. No tenderness or other symptoms of a hot appendix or other serious problem. So the tests come back, yep she's pregnant. Doc goes out to talk to mom.

Mom: She cain't be pregnant, she ain't got no boyfriend, ain't been with nobody!
Doc: Hang on, be right back.
<doc walks out of the ER doors into the dark night, turns right 90 degrees, and stares for a few seconds. Then comes back>
Doc: Sorry, no big star in the east. I think we've got to rule out virgin birth.
Mom: <blank stare>
<staff scurries elsewhere to giggle>

Sad part - she DIDN'T have a boyfriend. She DID have a stepdad.

<doc walks out of the ER doors into the dark night, turns right 90 degrees, and stares for a few seconds. Then comes back>
Doc: Sorry, no big star in the east. I think we've got to rule out virgin birth.
Mom: <blank stare>
<staff scurries elsewhere to giggle>

:rofl: :rofl:

Sad part - she DIDN'T have a boyfriend. She DID have a stepdad.

:mad: Hopefully only til that very moment. Hopefully Mom left stepdad!

Back