Big week coming up!

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Well, this will be a significant week for me. I'm going into the hospital on Thursday morning for a little neurosurgery to reduce the size of a tumor that is once again threatening my optic nerves. This will be the second time I've had this surgery. The first time was in '01, and when I was first diagnosed in April of that year the tumor was 3 cm in size, and had already done some damage to my vision. In fact, it was an optometrist that discovered it from the results of a vision field test. At that time, it was nearly an emergency procedure because it had surrounded the carotid arteries as well. I've been having annual MRI's since then, and in '05 it was showing renewed growth. But that was during a period of serious upheaval in my life, and frankly, I didn't much care whether I got treatment or not. Things are different now, and I have a new doctor (several actually) and I like this guy a lot! He has been extremely forthcoming with information and he has been answering all of my questions even before I ask them. As I said, this surgery is to reduce the tumor, not remove it. Currently it is 1 millimeter from the optic nerves. The curative procedure will actually be a gamma knife treatment. That will happen 1-3 months following surgery.

So, I'm kinda excited about it really. My doctor is very positive about at least beating it back far enough so that I don't have to worry about it for many, many years. I'm also excited at the prospect of a few weeks off work! The last time I had 2 weeks in a row off was the last time I had this surgery! So, beginning Thursday morning, I'll be off the forums for a few days. Sleeping in every day...what a concept!

Well, this will be a significant week for me. I'm going into the hospital on Thursday morning for a little neurosurgery to reduce the size of a tumor that is once again threatening my optic nerves. This will be the second time I've had this surgery. The first time was in '01, and when I was first diagnosed in April of that year the tumor was 3 cm in size, and had already done some damage to my vision. In fact, it was an optometrist that discovered it from the results of a vision field test. At that time, it was nearly an emergency procedure because it had surrounded the carotid arteries as well. I've been having annual MRI's since then, and in '05 it was showing renewed growth. But that was during a period of serious upheaval in my life, and frankly, I didn't much care whether I got treatment or not. Things are different now, and I have a new doctor (several actually) and I like this guy a lot! He has been extremely forthcoming with information and he has been answering all of my questions even before I ask them. As I said, this surgery is to reduce the tumor, not remove it. Currently it is 1 millimeter from the optic nerves. The curative procedure will actually be a gamma knife treatment. That will happen 1-3 months following surgery.

So, I'm kinda excited about it really. My doctor is very positive about at least beating it back far enough so that I don't have to worry about it for many, many years. I'm also excited at the prospect of a few weeks off work! The last time I had 2 weeks in a row off was the last time I had this surgery! So, beginning Thursday morning, I'll be off the forums for a few days. Sleeping in every day...what a concept!

Good luck Frank -- I hope the surgery goes smoothly!! Is the tumor "benign" or malignant?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Good luck Frank -- I hope the surgery goes smoothly!! Is the tumor "benign" or malignant?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thankfully it's benign. It's the potential for damage to nearby important stuff where the danger is. Doc said that if I were to have a brain tumor, this is the kind to have. I should be in the hospital no more than 5 days barring complications...the most common for this type of surgery being spinal fluid leakage. Especially on repeat performances.

I will send my positive thoughts your way, to add to your own, Frank!
My receptionist is now about 10 yrs post-chiasma tumor surgery btw.

Wow, Frank, best of luck, and way to keep an incredibly positive attitude!

Frank. I'll be sending positive thoughts, prayers, and karma your way. You used the word curative and it sounds like the advances in medical science that weren't around 8 years ago are really going to help you. have a full and speedy recovery. We'll keep your seat at the board warm for ya.

Here's wishes for a speedy recovery!

Frank, My prayers are with you and your doctors. What a great positive attitude you have! I'm anxious to hear the report on your successful surgery and recovery.

Frank, I'm VERY glad things have improved in your life such that you "care enough" to get it fixed now... We're rooting for you! Let us know how it goes, when you're able to get back online. And ENJOY SLEEPING IN! ;-)

P.S.--Has this impacted your ability to fly??

Frank, I'm VERY glad things have improved in your life such that you "care enough" to get it fixed now... We're rooting for you! Let us know how it goes, when you're able to get back online. And ENJOY SLEEPING IN! ;-)

P.S.--Has this impacted your ability to fly??
Unfortunately, it has. I was up for a 3rd class renewal just after I was diagnosed in '01, so I let my medical lapse. Subsequent to that, I went through a divorce and now due to the economy the company I work for has been laying people off at an alarming rate, so I'm not in a position to be spending the money on recurrency training, and I have no idea yet if this will be a disqualifying deal. I did get to fly the day after New Year's with a fellow board member. That's been the only time I've been in a GA aircraft since April '01 when I flew to Cedar Key. Hopefully again someday though!

Sorry Frank I have missed this post. I know you will pull through this just fine.. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Bob

Everything seemed to go pretty well overall. They accomplished what they wanted to do. I was discharged yesterday afternoon but I haven't felt up to posting until today. My head hurts some and my face is kinda puffy and sore, but otherwise I feel pretty good. I have a new list of meds I'll have to take for the rest of my life, but I can deal with that. I still have the gamma knife thing coming up in 2-3 months, but I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it. Right now, I just want to heal up from the surgery.

Everything seemed to go pretty well overall. They accomplished what they wanted to do. I was discharged yesterday afternoon but I haven't felt up to posting until today. My head hurts some and my face is kinda puffy and sore, but otherwise I feel pretty good. I have a new list of meds I'll have to take for the rest of my life, but I can deal with that. I still have the gamma knife thing coming up in 2-3 months, but I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it. Right now, I just want to heal up from the surgery.
That is good to hear my friend! Take some time and get well!

Like Scott said, take care of yourself! You only get one body in this life. Glad it went well!

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take care of yourself!

Trapper John

Great to hear, Frank! Hope the mending goes quickly and smoothly!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks everyone! I'm still feeling groggy, and I'm trying to avoid the pain medication, but there comes a point when the discomfort becomes such that it's pointless to refrain from it. I can't really say I've been in pain, but the combination of headache, sore nose and face and general yuckiness and well, why suffer ya know. But I do feel better now then I did even just this morning, so I'm hopeful that in a couple of days I'll feel much more normal. But I do have to say this. God bless health care providers! The nurses and doctors at the hospital treated me very well and took excellent care of me during my stay. I'm truly grateful there are people willing to do that difficult task. I sure couldn't do it.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. Take care of yourself and heal up.

Back