Big grin @ FL430

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
What can I say? I just love flying. Enough said.

Attachments

• P1020852.JPG
    P1020852.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 172
Dear Lance,

We hate you.

All the best,
The rest of us at PoA.

:D

Lance:

Lick me.

Yours very truly,

Spike

Uh, got a shot of the altimeter? :D

Until Ipad /Aircell came out.
We looked into the Aircell internet setup. The quote was $90,000 to install and $2,000/month for unlimited service. They decided they didn't need internet so much.

I can tell by the armburner light and the pax O2 controls that he's in a Lear. :D

Yeah, but it's not too hard to sit in a Lear on the ground. ;) ;)

Lance, I'm still jealous! I wish my one-time jet gig was a recurring one like yours, I really liked the Hawker.

Uh, got a shot of the altimeter? :D
Funny you should ask. Here's the next picture in the camera. ( I know I'm 60' low, but don't write me up. We're above RVSM airspace, and the brilliant 70's technology FS200 autopilot was doing the best it can :rolleyes2:) BTW, we're over the Caribbean talking to Havana.

Attachments

• P1020853.JPG
    P1020853.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 118
Lance, can you charge on up to the 40s, heavy?
How does it fly high and heavy?

Funny you should ask. Here's the next picture in the camera. ( I know I'm 60' low, but don't write me up. We're above RVSM airspace, and the brilliant 70's technology FS200 autopilot was doing the best it can :rolleyes2:) BTW, we're over the Caribbean talking to Havana.

Lance:

You suck even more.

If you were a jerk, I'd hate you. But you aren't, so envy going to have to do for now.

That's a pretty lousy photoshop. One of the screens isn't even on. :D

Lance, can you charge on up to the 40s, heavy?
How does it fly high and heavy?
Depends a lot on OAT. When it's warmer, the last few thousand feet can be pretty slow, maybe only 300 fpm. We're only doing about 205KIAS in this part of the climb. We pretty much manually tweak the pitch trim to maintain the climb but not lose too much airspeed. I am assuming newer autopilots would not need so much pilot attention :D.

The plane hand flies ok up high but is quite pitch sensitive with the thin air. Pitch corrections need to be less than 1/2 a degree, so it's a pretty high pilot workload. Mmo with operative autopilot is 0.83, but drops to 0.74 without.

That's a pretty lousy photoshop. One of the screens isn't even on. :D
Ah, we leave our 70's technology radar on standby as long as possible so it is well rested for when we really need it. :D

We pretty much manually tweak the pitch trim to maintain the climb but not lose too much airspeed.

I have been selecting ias mode (200kts or so, depending on initial altitude - gives good climb and acceptable deck angle), then when vs drops below 1000 (20's?) switching to vs mode and working it all the way so that we stay above 500fpm nearing toc but not below 150kts.
I'm sure your performance is greatly superior (but is your fuel flow 300/side at 410? :D )

I have been selecting ias mode (200kts or so, depending on initial altitude - gives good climb and acceptable deck angle), then when vs drops below 1000 (20's?) switching to vs mode and working it all the way so that we stay above 500fpm nearing toc but not below 150kts.
I'm sure your performance is greatly superior (but is your fuel flow 300/side at 410? :D )
I use what you call IAS but what we call FLC up to about FL300 but after that it has a tendency to chase the airspeed, especially in turbulence or wave, so I sometimes switch to VS. I remember using the pitch barrel all the time in the Lears, though.

I tried VS but above 30k it hunts +-2 or 300fpm. Going from losing the climb entirely to watching the airspeed slowly dial down is not comforting. So playing with the pitch manually seems like the right thing to do.

and at 430 we're burning 550 per side @ 0.77. I don't think that's too bad, but then again I'm not paying for it.

Heavy, above 350, the CJ wallows in pitch, obviously very high aoa - its not happy at all. Autopilot will only hold it within 100' sometimes in cruise, without wave or turb...at 410. But our range really gets up there and you can miss 99% of the weather. Have gone over tornado areas, way on top of it all.

BTW, we're over the Caribbean talking to Havana.

On a side note, I've found Havana Center to be very easy to work with and helpful. This past weekend they gave us some good shortcuts heading to and from Cozumel, plus very friendly.

A few more tenths (or even hundredths) on the Mach meter and that grin would be even wider! Great pictures. :)

A few more tenths and I'd have an overspeed warning & stick puller. Grin gone:hairraise:

A few more tenths and I'd have an overspeed warning & stick puller. Grin gone:hairraise:

Haha ok maybe a few more hundrendths would work. B)

Going through Phenom 100 ground...Mmo in the Phenom is M.70, talk about slow!! Not as bad as the Mustang though. The Lear moves pretty good though, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Back