"Big Fart in a Tiny Airplane"

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Foul language warning.

Does anybody here fess up to being one of these two???

Why don't those passengers have at least ear plugs?

Why don't those passengers have at least ear plugs?

I was thinking the same thing, looking at the little ones in the back.

PIC looks like a winner, all the way around.

211v5fr.jpg

Yet the PIC will be mad at little Johnny when school calls after he tells the kid next to him to stop farking chitting his pants...

the little boy holding his ears is heartbreaking... what a freak'n idiot!

if you can't even afford to provide ear protection for all passengers...sell the dam plane!

What am I missing, why y'all spouting about earplugs for? Looks like it was a SBD to me?

What’s the big deal? So the kid is plugging his ears. Oh, I get it- he should be plugging his NOSE!

the little boy holding his ears is heartbreaking... what a freak'n idiot!

if you can't even afford to provide ear protection for all passengers...sell the dam plane!
And to think ear plugs at the bare minimum cost like .89c at the hardware store.

Dumb.

And to think ear plugs at the bare minimum cost like .89c at the hardware store.

Dumb.

WTF is the concern about ear plugs? Not following...just because the dude farted. I
What if it were a SBD, he'd need more than earplugs, nose plug!

WTF is the concern about ear plugs? Not following...just because the dude farted. I
What if it were a SBD, he'd need more than earplugs, nose plug!

The nose and ear are connected. You actually have very sensitive olfactory receptors located just inside your middle ear, located around the aural spastic ganglion. This is specifically addressed in the FARs and further explained in the PHOAK.

So, when did headphones become a "thing"? Back in the 70's they were pretty rare. Nowdays, it seems that everyone uses them, but I missed the transition. When did it happen?

So, when did headphones become a "thing"? Back in the 70's they were pretty rare. Nowdays, it seems that everyone uses them, but I missed the transition. When did it happen?

I got my private in 1985 without ever wearing headsets. It wasn't until maybe 87 or 88 when my instrument instructor said "do yourself a favor and buy a pair of headsets ". I never even knew such things existed until then. :)

Yep I was surprised a few years ago to see almost everyone using headsets. Hell the flight school planes don't even have a mic in them. I was GA full bore thru the end of '89 and still using mic and speaker. So somewhere in that span headsets and magenta lines appeared. Much better w/ students now with headsets though.

Man some of you guys would have a coronary if you saw what kind of hearing protection people brought on the 207s (that is, nothing at all)

I get it but I have severe tinnitus. Once its gone, there is no getting it back.
I don't let my kids wear ear buds. These kids in the plane don't have choice. Pilot is causing potential perm. damage to them.

If I knew when I was 17 the damage I was doing to my hearing, I would have taken it far more serious.

Don’t forget you need to have Bose or other high end headsets, otherwise you will go dead. Says POA posters.

I'm guessing the late 80s for most flight instruction. I suspect you'd see some fair variation around the country depending on how much the radio was used. Rural areas probably proceeded without headsets for a number of years longer. The old instructors that never used them weren't about to start.

Yeah. You can fly around in a piston single without a headset. Do it enough and there is a strong chance you're going to take on some permanent hearing damage. As to the old instructors that always operated without a headset - yeah it worked - and yeah their hearing was shot. They yelled for a reason.

Db levels in a piston single trainer will definitely be hitting above OSHA guidelines. You're looking at periods above 100db in a 172. I consider it a pretty dick move to expose someone to that and not give them the option of hearing protection. If they don't want to wear it, so be it.

<edited for relevance>These kids in the plane don't have choice. Pilot is causing potential permanent damage to them.

True story right there. Sat up front in a J-3 when I was 5 and I still feel it every time I see an airplane, hear an airplane, think about airplanes, fly an airplane, walk by an airplane, read about an airplane... that Cub pilot definitely caused some permanent damage that I’ll never recover from. ;)

As to the old instructors that always operated without a headset - yeah it worked - and yeah their hearing was shot. They yelled for a reason.

Ha.

Had a rental checkout about 15 years ago. Old and crusty CFI insisted that we did all our flying and ATC communication with the hand held mike and crappy 1970’s ceiling speaker.
Said that the new crop of pilots these days would panic and forget how to fly the airplane if their headset died, so he did his instruction without them to keep them tough.

By then, the cockpit environment was probably pretty darn quiet for him anyway. As was everywhere else he went.

And yes, he yelled.

Back