Big Bear Air Fair on August 26th

Aw man, yeah- I meant air fair. :confused:
I can pull off about 7GPH in the 172. My fuel prices are 4.90 gallon...just need the NM from DVT to the Bear. Then triple the price so I can gouge the passengers!

Are you spending the night? I don't think that 172 will get you off the ground at Big Bear in August in the afternoon. 6,700 feet and a standard air temp of 36 F. Anything above 36 degrees will have a higher DA than 6700 feet.

Are you spending the night? I don't think that 172 will get you off the ground at Big Bear in August in the afternoon. 6,700 feet and a standard air temp of 36 F. Anything above 36 degrees will have a higher DA than 6700 feet.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not very concerned here, that 172 is a beast @ 180 HP. I've flown her the last three summers (in AZ) against 8500 density altitude at gross. This trip will be 350lbs below gross.

Just FYI, 10,000'+ DA is very common at Big Bear in the summer. They have a big digital "Current Density Altitude" sign at the departure end of the runway.

Just FYI, 10,000'+ DA is very common at Big Bear in the summer. They have a big digital "Current Density Altitude" sign at the departure end of the runway.

Yeah, that's why I'm keeping the weight down. Also I'm planning on leaving with enough fuel to get me to Roy Williams down at 2'500 MSL Then I'll fuel up for the rest of the flight.
Sedona can get pretty crazy on density altitude as well, great practice.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not very concerned here, that 172 is a beast @ 180 HP. I've flown her the last three summers (in AZ) against 8500 density altitude at gross. This trip will be 350lbs below gross.
That's good, but 8500 DA is what you get in spring while there is still snow on the ground.

There is a power line before you reach the lake.

A 180 HP 172 can handle DA over 10,000 as long as you don't find any sinking air or high winds. That means east winds will be a problem. Even with west winds, you will need a lot of help from orographic lift for an eastbound departure.

Don't worry guys I get it, high DA flying requires planning. :eek: I'll be departing with about 12 gallons of fuel and 1 px @ 155 lbs. and myself @ 200lbs (maybe 25lbs of luggage). My DA limit will be 9000' since this location is new to me.

So then- has anyone actually attended this event?

My dad lives a few miles from the airport there, so I have flown in there a few times (in the winter), but I have never been to the event.

I've gone in years past, it is a good show, have a lot of old war birds as they offer free fuel to the old iron.... no acrobatics as there is not enough air up there to perform much... that whole DA thing... you should not have a problem as long as it is not too hot... I have not landed there yet this year, but have flown over several times.. taking friends sight seeing... My 140 with 180 hp has no problem working at those conditions. There have been a few that get a few hundred feet over the lake and slide out over the dam into the canyon to the west... not fun.

I will be going if I get back in town from going to Idaho to see the eclipse.

Yeah, that's why I'm keeping the weight down. Also I'm planning on leaving with enough fuel to get me to Roy Williams down at 2'500 MSL Then I'll fuel up for the rest of the flight.
Sedona can get pretty crazy on density altitude as well, great practice.

I don't think Roy Williams airport has had fuel for several years now. Last time I landed there, the runway was in terrible shape as well. Last I knew, Twenty Nine Palms still had fuel, but a phone call to be sure would be in order.

Edit: I used to occasionally land at Roy Williams as my Mother lived close by. Airnav now shows that the airport is closed.

L35 density altitude in August can easily exceed 10k ft until almost sunset. There's a reason local clubs and FBO's require a Big Bear checkout before solo flight to L35. That being said, it's a wonderful airport that is supported well by the community. Have fun.

Last edited:
Ah yes, looks like Twenty Nine Palms it is. I'll double check fuel before the time comes.
I'll likely leave early AM when the DA is still down.

The nice thing is headed east you don't need much climb before the terrain starts to drop. Also as a backup fuel stop KTRM has a wide selection of expensive fuel, although I guess it doesn't look like the Self Serve price is that bad.

The nice thing is headed east you don't need much climb before the terrain starts to drop. Also as a backup fuel stop KTRM has a wide selection of expensive fuel, although I guess it doesn't look like the Self Serve price is that bad.

And, as a bonus "just to say you did" KTRM elevation is -115' so you can say you landed below sea level.

And, as a bonus "just to say you did" KTRM elevation is -115' so you can say you landed below sea level.
Yea, and often the elevation below sea level is the same as the temperature above 0F... They don't call it Thermal for nothing. Although if you're looking for the lowest in that area without going out to Furnace Creek, that would be Hatfield Memorial/Calipatria (KCLR) at -182' which has no fuel, or anything else as I recall.

Yea, and often the elevation below sea level is the same as the temperature above 0F... They don't call it Thermal for nothing. Although if you're looking for the lowest in that area without going out to Furnace Creek, that would be Hatfield Memorial/Calipatria (KCLR) at -182' which has no fuel, or anything else as I recall.

Very true. I flew to Thermal for my night XC when getting my PPL last August. Landed there around 9:30-10pm and it was still 105°F.

http://intothesky.us/2016/08/03/night-xc-tailwind-to-and-a-race-home/

So then- has anyone actually attended this event?

Its one of the best events to check out static warbirds, you can get much closer than most shows. A bunch of warbirds are flown up from the museum in Chino. Last show the P-38 was there, on the flight line, totally unattended and not roped off. Very cool to check out so close.

OK, I've decided to make it a solid plan. I've updated the thread title and added my departure time to my first comment.

Departing KGYR on the 26th @ 0645 hrs.
Cruising @ ~105 kts.

LETS GO!!
fly by.jpeg

Back