Bi-lingual?

If memory serves me correctly the OP's girlfriend's native language is Spanish. One option is to have her speak ONLY Spanish when they are together.
My wife's primary language is Southern dialect and I understand it well enough to serve as a translator. She's not gonna let me get a Spanish speaking girlfriend just to learn another language. So what's the next best thing?

My wife's primary language is Southern dialect and I understand it well enough to serve as a translator. She's not gonna let me get a Spanish speaking girlfriend just to learn another language. So what's the next best thing?

Remember Mark Sanford?

I'm in Boca nearly every weekend (Tampa area during the week). We should fly sometime.

Sounds great. I like to make it up to KPMP for the monthly food and seminar at America Flyers. Also flew safety pilot for another POA'er two weeks ago and we ate at KFXE. Maybe do something like that again and we can meet up. Henning can join us, I still have yet to meet him. PM me.

Spanish is easy. It could be worse, you could be in to Asian chicks.

Learned Spanish for my Central American adventures. Audited a couple courses, started watching Mexican TV, was pretty fluent when I got done. You know you have it when you start dreaming in it.

Of course, now its all gone, just like my Latin and Hebrew. It will come back though, some day. I'm not done heading south and doubt I will be until I hit Tierra del Fuego.

Spanish speaking boyfriend? :rofl:

Learned Spanish for my Central American adventures. Audited a couple courses, started watching Mexican TV, was pretty fluent when I got done. You know you have it when you start dreaming in it.

Of course, now its all gone, just like my Latin and Hebrew. It will come back though, some day. I'm not done heading south and doubt I will be until I hit Tierra del Fuego.

Wait a minute….you learned Latin for your adventures in ancient Rome?

Are you a Time Lord? Or just really really really old?

The OP is lucky in that the can get quasi Emerson via his girl friend. I was trying to learn Hebrew and was using a program called Mango languages. It was pretty helpful. I took French in HS and was sort of self taught in Spanish. No where near fluent but can just about order in a restaurants or give directions to a taxi.

I'm always impressed by bilingual folks. It's a great skill to have.

According to the CIA World Facts Spanish is the most spoken language after Mandarin. But on my travellings around the world I found English to be the business and technical language. Knowing English opens your possibilities to a worldwide exchange of ideas with others.

However in Latin America Spanish and Portuguese are the dominant languages for everything including ATC. Some of the ATC phrases in Spanish are of maritime origins. Like "Apunte proa hacia San Fernando" = "Direct to San Fernando VOR". It makes you think you are sailing instead of flying.

CIA Language Facts
Mandarin Chinese 12.44%, Spanish 4.85%, English 4.83%, Arabic 3.25%, Hindi 2.68%, Bengali 2.66%, Portuguese 2.62%, Russian 2.12%, Japanese 1.8%, Standard German 1.33%, Javanese 1.25% (2009 est.)

José

Jose, you just touched on something I have often thought about. I'm fluent in Spanish (first language), but I have lived most of my life in the states including learning to fly. I've thought about taking my Mooney on trips to Central America but I don't know ANY of the ATC lingo in Spanish. I can carry out a lengthy conversation in Spanish, but would be embarrassed if I can't figure out what ATC is saying. My way out, would be to talk to ATC in English only until I pick up the correct Spanish phraseology (would that work?). I guess I could also try to listen to recorded ATC in Spanish, or pick up a basic PP course in Spanish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took French in HS and was sort of self taught in Spanish. No where near fluent but can just about order in a restaurants or give directions to a taxi.

That's farther than a lot of people get. I've been to France a few times, and I notice a HUGE difference in treatment of folks there if they speak French. But it doesn't really matter how well you speak it. If you start out in French--really give it an effort--I've found that people will be very happy to help. But if you speak to them straight away in English without so much as an "Excusez-moi, je ne parle pas francais. Parlez-vous anglais?" you won't get very far.

Back