BFRs for life, $75

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
At the FAA seminar last night the host FBO mentioned an offer they have for a limited time. For those who can supply their own aircraft, you can buy BFR training "for life" for a total cost of $75. That is an hour of ground and an hour of air work every two years.

I think it's an interesting offer.

With the recent suit where the CFI and 30 hour primary student did a CFIT in IMC I might be more worried about their lifetime than mine.

My cynical side leads me to think that every time you show up they'll tell you need to buy a few more hours at full price to complete the BFR.

I'll stick with earning Wings phases. I'll have my next phase shortly the regular way, by buying dual, which I'm never shy about anyway. Wings Weekends are a better (free!..for the CFI part anyway) deal.

Last edited:
I pay more than that for the CFI for each BFR. Nevermind the airplane. Sounds like quite a deal. I'd be money ahead after the first one.

For the life of the company ?
There's always new CFIs wanting to build their airline hours or whatever that will fly for nearly free.

mikea said:
At the FAA seminar last night the host FBO mentioned an offer they have for a limited time. For those who can supply their own aircraft, you can buy BFR training "for life' for a total cost of $75. That is an hour of ground and an hour of air work every two years.

I think it's an interesting offer.

With the recent suit where the CFI and 30 hour primary student did a CFIT in IMC I might be more worried about their lifetime than mine.

My cynical side leads me to think that every time you show up they'll tell you need to buy a few more hours at full price to complete the BFR.

I'll stick with earning Wings phases. I'll have my next phase shortly the regular way, by buying dual, which I'm never shy about anyway. Wings Weekends are a better (free!..for the CFI part anyway) deal.

Ron Levy said:
As John Arbuckle said in 1905, "You get what you pay for."

I just finished paying for my Phase IV Wings. I'm cool until 2007, although I'll probably get Phase V this time next year.

I am with you Mike on the Wings program. I do a phase every year, VI this fall. A great way not only to stay currant, but to stay proficient.

ladyaviator said:
I am with you Mike on the Wings program. I do a phase every year, VI this fall. A great way not only to stay currant, but to stay proficient.

I have always done 2-4 hours of dual at the start of every year, even before I go for Wings. I can't understand the idea that getting dual is some sort of expensive burden. Dick Collins and the ASF say whether the pilot dual is the best differentiator of those who have accidents and those who don't.

This year I wondered why every time I flew I had such bad turbulence due to thermals from surface heating. I had to recover from one wing dropping out from under me a few times.

This last time it was 90 degrees when we took off with gusty winds and cumulus clouds at ~4000 feet AGL. In spite of knowing it could be really bad, I was due for hood work so under I went. At first I thought I should be able to hold on as long as I have to...it'll be over soon.

I did pretty well. I did VOR intercepts and tracked radials all the way back home. I didn't even glance at the GPS in front of me, although I mostly guessed where I was. Time passed and I didn't feel terribly uncomfortable.

The bounces weren't so bad even when I couldn't see what was happening.

At the end besides saying I did well under the hood (IR here I come!), Joe said the smooth ride was all me. I stopped fighting the bumps so the ride smoothed out.

That's what I need at the start of every year.

Back