BFR

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hi. I was in training a few months ago for an ATP and quickly exhausted my training $$. Why can't the CFI who gave me the training sign me off for a BFR (I completed the "ground" portion c/o an on-line CFI renewal course) even though the training was a few months ago? Back-date the endorsement? I can't see anything in Part 61 or in the ACs to prohibit this method. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I can see a lot of CFIs being concerned with the ramifications of "backdating" any endorsement.

I have made, and personally have no problem with, endorsements in lost logbook situations saying, in effect, that on a date several years ago, a pilot satisfied the requirements and that I gave him or her, say, a complex endorsement and dating my certification today, but would have personal concerns with effectively saying, "oh yeah, I should have given an endorsement a few moths ago but didn't so I'm doing it now."

Seeing nothing specifically precluding it, I =might= be willing in the right circumstances but would never argue with a CFI who did not feel comfortable at all.

IOW, it's only partially your issue; it's also the CFI's. You and I might be happy with you and I taking the risk of being wrong; someone else might not.

A CFI cannot sign your logbook for a flight review s/he did not give you.
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.
If the flight training you received for the ATP met the requirements for a flight review per 61.56(a)(2), that can certainly fill the bill, but the only person who can sign a flight review endorsement based on that training is the instructor who gave you that training. So, you'll have to go back to whoever gave you that training, and s/he can certainly sign an endorsement for the flight portion of a flight review IAW 61.56(a)(2) identifying the date when the flight review flight training was completed, and your flight review will be good for 24 months from that date.

Therefore, if I were the instructor who gave you that ATP training back then, and I felt it met the standard for the flight portion of a flight review (which is not a given), and you came to me months later, I would have no trouble putting the following endorsement in your logbook:

I certify that [you], holder of Commercial Pilot certificate [xxxxxxx], completed the flight portion of a flight review IAW 14 CFR 61.57(a)(2) on [that date several months ago].
/s/ Ronald B. Levy, 2013531CFI, exp 5/31/17

Last edited:
Back