BFR

Bride

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bride
Hello friends !
I have an FAA single engine private pilot based on my foreign license EASA Single Private Pilot. I have also a Full FAA commercial pilot Multi engine and Instrument. I would like to know if I can made my BFR on a single engine or mandatory on multi please ?

Thank you so much

You can do your flight review in any aircraft for which you are rated. If you have a lighter-than-air category rating, you can do all your reviews in that and it would cover you in airplanes.

Last edited:
You can do your flight rule in any aircraft for which you are rated. If you have a lighter-than-air category rating, you can do all your reviews in that and it would cover you in airplanes.
Thank you so much :)

You can do your flight review in any aircraft for which you are rated. If you have a lighter-than-air category rating, you can do all your reviews in that and it would cover you in airplanes.
I know that’s normally the correct answer, but I think we’re in a corner of the envelope here that should be identified…

@Bride , do you have one certificate for both, or is your Commercial Multi a separate card from your Private Single?

I know that’s normally the correct answer, but I think we’re in a corner of the envelope here that should be identified…

@Bride , do you have one certificate for both, or is your Commercial Multi a separate card from your Private Single?
I have my commercial instrument multi engine only on one card and my private pilot instrument single engine on the other card.
This is 2 separated card

Last edited:
I ran across an FAA inspector today, and his thought was it’s still a “normal” situation, and you can do the flight review in anything for which you are rated.

I’m not going to argue against that, but I would ensure that the instructor you choose for the flight review is aware of the distinction so that he can get any further guidance he needs to be comfortable with the situation.

I ran across an FAA inspector today, and his thought was it’s still a “normal” situation, and you can do the flight review in anything for which you are rated.

I’m not going to argue against that, but I would ensure that the instructor you choose for the flight review is aware of the distinction so that he can get any further guidance he needs to be comfortable with the situation.
Thank you for your answere MauleSkinner :)

Can you explain? Isn't the typical set up a single pilot certificate with multiple ratings and an appropriate limitation?

Commercial AMEL, IA, ASEL with a limitation saying ASEL is limited to private privileges?

I really have never heard of two physically separate pilot certificates.

Can you explain? Isn't the typical set up a single pilot certificate with multiple ratings and an appropriate limitation?

Commercial AMEL, IA, ASEL with a limitation saying ASEL is limited to private privileges?

I really have never heard of two physically separate pilot certificates.
The OP’s Private certificate with ASEL rating is based on holding a foreign certificate with those qualifications rather than the completion of U.S. testing. It has a limitation requiring possession of a valid foreign pilot certificate to be valid. See 61.75.

His Commercial with AMEL rating was acquired normally, via written and flight tests.

But now that I look at 61.75, it raises another question…
(3) Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate;
Does the unrestricted Commercial invalidate the Private certificate?

The OP’s Private certificate with ASEL rating is based on holding a foreign certificate with those qualifications rather than the completion of U.S. testing. It has a limitation requiring possession of a valid foreign pilot certificate to be valid. See 61.75.

His Commercial with AMEL rating was acquired normally, via written and flight tests.

Good question

There ought to be a new 61.1 (a) and all the rest of the ( ) letters shifted down one notch.
61.1 (a). Do not take any sentence or paragraph in this part as conclusive until after reading the entire part.

Ah. Thank you. I didn't catch

On your 61.75(b)(3) question, I think FSIMS provides the answer in this note. Appears the reg saying you can't already have a YS certificate only applies to the time of application for the foreign certificate (Para 5-595)

NOTE: A person who applies for a U.S. pilot certificate by accomplishing the appropriate pilot certification requirements of part 61 and holds a pilot certificate issued under § 61.75 need not surrender that § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate. There have been isolated incidences where examiners have mistakenly required a person to surrender their § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate when applying for the standard U.S. pilot certificate. In this instance, it is permissible for a person to hold both their § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate and standard U.S. pilot certificate.​

There ought to be a new 61.1 (a) and all the rest of the ( ) letters shifted down one notch.
61.1 (a). Do not take any sentence or paragraph in this part as conclusive until after reading the entire part.
That’s why it was a question, not a statement. ;)

Thanks for the réponse. So the answere To the first question is Yes ?
It appears that you can do your flight review in either a single or multi engine airplane, but again, I’d sure that your instructor is aware of both certificates so that he can do whatever due diligence he feels necessary.

As a practical matter, since you have the U.S. Commercial certificate, it seems like adding Private ASEL privileges to that would be fairly simple, and would resolve potential questions or misunderstandings in the future. :)
(c) Additional aircraft class rating. A person who applies for an additional class rating on a pilot certificate:

(1) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.

(2) Must pass the practical test.

(3) Need not meet the specified training time requirements prescribed by this part that apply to the pilot certificate for the aircraft class rating sought; unless, the person only holds a lighter-than-air category rating with a balloon class rating and is seeking an airship class rating, then that person must receive the specified training time requirements and possess the appropriate aeronautical experience.

(4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

Thanks for the réponse. So the answere To the first question is Yes ?
I am going to say "yes." The regulation says

1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated​
not
1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated, however, if the pilot has more than one certificate the pilot needs a flight review for each.
But I agree with @MauleSkinner's comment about telling your CFI about the dual certificates. If I were the CFI you used, would want to know so I could mention both certificates in the standard flight review endorsement.

Last edited:
I am going to say "yes." The regulation says

1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated​
not
1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated, however, if the pilot has more than one certificate the pilot needs a flight review for each.
But I agree with @MauleSkinner's comment about telling your CFI about the dual certificates. If I were the CFI you used, would want to know so I could mention both certificates in the standard flight review endorsement.
Thank you so much for your answere friends
So my CFI have juste the single engine not multi

A flight review is a flight review. Any flight review (or new certificate) renews all of your ratings for 24 months.

There are enough exceptions to that that it’s probably good that the OP asked.
If there are so many exceptions, why not list one or two? Instead of 'renews' I probably should have said 'applies to'.

If there are so many exceptions, why not list one or two? Instead of 'renews' I probably should have said 'applies to'.
Ok…there are six ratings on my certificate that I can’t currently exercise privileges for even though I’m current under 61.56. DA-10, DA-20, DA-200, HS-125, CE-500, RA-4000.

But when you consider that the OP was asking about accomplishing a flight review in an aircraft on one certificate and applying it to privileges from a different certificate, it’s closer to accomplishing a flight review in a single-engine airplane that allows me to exercise privileges on my drone certificate. Just that in his case, it appears that it can be done.

One "flight review" applies to everything for 24 months. There are additional requirements to keep your Instrument and Type ratings current.

Ooh…I didn’t think about that one! :D
I think part of the issue is that we generically think of a flight review as a "renewal." But the regulation doesn't talk in those terms. It says, "no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has..."

We don't have renewals. Our certificates and ratings don't disappear or become invalid (unless we surrender or are subject to a suspension or revocation). What we do have is a number of currency requirements which apply to our ability to exercise certain privileges associated with out certificates and ratings. For example, we do not need a current flight review to serve as the non-PIC safety pilot in a Cessna 172. And having one is not sufficient to act as PIC with passengers unless we are also 90-day landing current. Your examples of aircraft where there are additional type-related currency requirements is more of the same.

I think it's best to think of a flight review as just one of a series of currency requirements (albeit arguably the umbrella one)

One "flight review" applies to everything for 24 months. There are additional requirements to keep your Instrument and Type ratings current.
No, “everything” is wronger. Especially when you have to list exceptions.

as Mark indicated, a flight review is simply a step in the currency process.

…Fortunately a step I haven’t needed since 1985.

Back