BFR Question

Xscaliber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Big Al
My BFR is due this month, this will be my first one, the actual 24 month calender date is October 12th, do I need to schedule a CFI by this date or am I ok as long as I take the ride before month end ?

Thanks guys

End of the month.

"...no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command..."

Though that is more confusing than I remember!

End of the month.

"...no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command..."

Though that is more confusing than I remember!

Thanks Eddie, and yes reading the wording of the rule kind of confused me too...

There used to be one time limit that was to the day. I can't remember which one it was. But now, everything is to the end of the month.

My BFR is due this month, this will be my first one, the actual 24 month calender date is October 12th, do I need to schedule a CFI by this date or am I ok as long as I take the ride before month end ?

Thanks guys

No mal-intent here, just good ol' ribbing. You should know this stuff before you go in for the BFR. ;)
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Yes, yes, I am a siwwy wascaw.

Have a great weekend, it is supposed to be gorgeous!! Let's go fly!

No mal-intent here, just good ol' ribbing. You should know this stuff before you go in for the BFR. ;)

No mal-intent here, just good ol' ribbing. You should know that it is a Flight Review and not a BFR. ;)

They couldn't just say "within the last two years" and be done with it!

So, right now, would that mean you would need to have had a FR after 1-January-2013 (2014 and 2013 being the last 2 years)?

The language is the way it is for a reason.

They couldn't just say "within the last two years" and be done with it!

Well, the rule is different from that. It's more than 730 days in most cases.

Just about everything the FAA does on a calendar basis is in terms of calendar months and expires at the end of that month. You have the exact same rule for your medical.

Just about everything the FAA does on a calendar basis is in terms of calendar months and expires at the end of that month. You have the exact same rule for your medical.

It's not like I don't know that - I was the first to respond to the question poised in the OP.

But when I confirmed the language in the FAR, it struck me as unnecessarily obtuse.

There used to be one time limit that was to the day. I can't remember which one it was. But now, everything is to the end of the month.
61.57 landings currency (90 days) are "to the day". Practical test endorsements and completion of a discontinued or failed practical test used to be, but were changed to two calendar months -- see 61.39 for details.

It's not like I don't know that - I was the first to respond to the question poised in the OP.

But when I confirmed the language in the FAR, it struck me as unnecessarily obtuse.
My guess is that a lot of the more convoluted language in the FAR is the result of questions raised when simpler language was used. The number of people with trouble comprehending the fairly simple "calendar month" concept still amazes me. (I think it obvious that the "first day" language in the current reg is a response to that)

Best example is instrument currency. Enough people were apparently confused enough by the old language on when an IPC is required that the reg was "clarified," after which it was re-clarified and eventually needed a chief counsel interpretation to tell us nothing changed at all.

BFR currency has always been to the end of the month in my memory. Many of us "gain" an additional month by scheduling it the first week past the expiration.

Back