BFR question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Will the IFR training and checkride satisfy the requirements of the BFR? (subject to the CFII and DPE being willing to sign off in that)

A (passed) checkride resets the BFR clock. As does (I believe) a tailwheel/complex/HP endorsement.

Is separate documentation beyond the temp airman certificate a good idea? I need to check if club or our insurer want to know about BFR, but if they do, what would suffice to show I have met the requirement.

Not sure about your specific insurance situation but a temp airmen certificate is a legal document, so I can't imagine it wouldn't suffice.

Not sure about your specific insurance situation but a temp airmen certificate is a legal document, so I can't imagine it wouldn't suffice.

Cool. Got an FAR I can quote if there is any pushback?

A (passed) checkride resets the BFR clock. As does (I believe) a tailwheel/complex/HP endorsement.
Sure, passing it does, but remember, you need to be current to carry passengers in order to take a ride in an aircraft, so if you don't have a BFR you'll need one prior to the ride.

I don't believe endorsements reset the flight review clock automatically. There has to be a FAA checkride involved to reset it automatically. Of course an endorsement could include most of the elements of a regular flight review and be signed off as one provided the CFI fills all the squares and makes the proper FR log entry in addition to the endorsement wording.

I don't believe endorsements reset the flight review clock automatically. There has to be a FAA checkride involved to reset it automatically. Of course an endorsement could include most of the elements of a regular flight review and be signed off as one provided the CFI fills all the squares and makes the proper FR log entry in addition to the endorsement wording.

I was mistaken and you, sir, are correct. I thought the endorsements reset the clock automatically... turns out they don't (but can usually include a BFR as part of it).

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2011/April/Cover_review.html

Will the IFR training and checkride satisfy the requirements of the BFR? (subject to the CFII and DPE being willing to sign off in that)
Yes. Another rating or certificate counts as a BFR.

The first poster to correctly refer to it as a Flight Review and not a BFR :yesnod:.

repped

That's right, it's now a Flight Review done every 24 calendar months instead of a Biannual Flight Review. :rolleyes2:

Whoop.

Except it's not necessarily done every 24 calendar months like a BFR would imply.
You have not been in a plane in 19 years? That's ok, get a BFR. You mean that you can fly a plane with one BFR in 20 years ? Then why is it a BFR if it's not required every 24 calendar months?

That's why it's just a Flight Review. It's all in the wording and when lawyers get involved, the wording counts.

It's still a BFR to many of us and always will be. As we used to say in college, "it doesn't matter, and what if it did?"

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sure, passing it does, but remember, you need to be current to carry passengers in order to take a ride in an aircraft, so if you don't have a BFR you'll need one prior to the ride.

Not true.

61.47(c)-Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.

As long as the DPE agrees to act as PIC for the flight, the applicant doesn't need a current flight review to take a checkride. Similarly, someone's whose flight review has lapsed needs a CFI who's capable of acting as PIC for the flight review flight

Not true.

61.47(c)-Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.
Interesting. In school, we were just always told that you're required to meet the usual PIC requirements. Thanks for the correction.

Passing a checkride or completing a phase of WINGS would reset the clock for your flight review. Tailwheel/Complex/High Performance/High Altitude endorsements and IPCs do not, however you can get the instructor to sign off your flight review as well if they agree to it.

Flight reviews are essentially up to the CFI in regards to their content, but they must at least have one hour of ground instruction reviewing current Part 91 stuff, especially what has changed since the last flight review, and one hour of flight. The flight portion is up to what the CFI thinks would show you know how to fly an airplane. If the CFI/examiner/inspector finds that you passing the IPC or endorsement training also shows that you can safely operate an aircraft on your own, and the one hour of ground also covered current Part 91 regs, they can count it as a flight review and sign that endorsement as well.

A (passed) checkride resets the BFR clock.
Correct, for any pilot or flight instructor practical test.
As does (I believe) a tailwheel/complex/HP endorsement.
Not by itself. It's not hard to combine a flight review with a 61.31 additional training endorsement, but you still have to log 1 hour of ground training including a review of Part 91 operating rules (not required for any of those endorsements) and include the flight review language in the logbook endorsement. And while I can't imagine completing the flight training for a 61.31 endorsement in less than an hour, if it's going to count for a flight review, the flight must be at least 1.0.

Last edited:
Is separate documentation beyond the temp airman certificate a good idea? I need to check if club or our insurer want to know about BFR, but if they do, what would suffice to show I have met the requirement.
One option is to have the examiner sign the practical test flight entry in your logbook. Another is to keep a copy of the TAC. The date on your pilot/FI certificate is not sufficient, since that is the date of issuance of that card, not the date of the test, and there are ways you could get a new card without having taken a test (e.g., lost and replaced card).

Was it ever an official BFR?
Yes, a long time ago, to distinguish it from the Annual Flight Review that was going to be required for Private Pilots with less than 400 hours or some number of years as a rated pilot. Idea died, but the BFR name stuck for a while before they dropped the B, probably because they don't want folks to think they can't get it more often than every 24 calendar months.

One option is to have the examiner sign the practical test flight entry in your logbook. Another is to keep a copy of the TAC. The date on your pilot/FI certificate is not sufficient, since that is the date of issuance of that card, not the date of the test, and there are ways you could get a new card without having taken a test (e.g., lost and replaced card).

Thanks for this. I figured logbook signature was good, but wasn't aware of the details between TAC & card issuance

It's still a BFR to many if us and always will be. As we used to say in college, "it doesn't matter, and what if it did?"

Like the "written tests", which have officially been "knowledge tests" for nearly 20 years now, but everyone still calls it "the written".
And I still position and hold... :)

Like the "written tests", which have officially been "knowledge tests" for nearly 20 years now, but everyone still calls it "the written".

Hard to take it without writing.

Wow. I wrote that in ignorance, maybe. Last "written" I took was probably that long ago.

Someone else may have already answerd.
But no, a tail wheel, complex, or HP endorsement does not satisfy a Flight Review requirement by themselves.
However, if the instructor feels additional material has been covered to meet he FR requirements, he may add that additional endorsement.

Someone else may have already answerd.
But no, a tail wheel, complex, or HP endorsement does not satisfy a Flight Review requirement by themselves.
However, if the instructor feels additional material has been covered to meet he FR requirements, he may add that additional endorsement.
And don't forget to log the hour or more of ground training including the Part 91 rules review, too!

Hard to take it without writing.

Wow. I wrote that in ignorance, maybe. Last "written" I took was probably that long ago.

Multiple choice and on a computer. Instant grading and results.
Paper and pencil not really required. Even the electronic E6B is on the computer.

The endorsements do not reset things by default. A flight review can be done in conjunction with them, but a flight review is not a byproduct of receiving said endorsements.

Back