BFR question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
My BFR is "officially" due in November. But I need to do some "knock the rust off" flying since I have done anything since late April. Is it permitted to get this out of the way this month?

If it is, then I'll get with the CFI and log 2 items on the same lesson.

Nothing says you can't get a flight review before the old one runs out, but remember the new 24 month clock will start ticking as soon as it's done.

You can pay an instructor for a flight review every time you fly if you desire to. You just can't act as PIC after your flight review has expired until you get the sign off. Getting the FR two months early just means you pay sooner rather than later. I suppose it would be an excellent way to "knock off the rust."

Some of my clients want a flight review sign-off every year....they show it to their insurance agent as on-going recurrent training. Whether it helps or not, I have no idea, but certainly can't hurt. The airlines require recurrent training every six months and that's for pilots that fly much more frequently than most GA pilots.

I do a bFR every spring and an IPC every fall. I see it as nothing more than a structured way to get some dual.....a good thing. Plus I don't have to do silly FAA math to see if I'm current.

Or, you can participate in the FAA's WINGS program. Never have to do a BFR again :).

My club's insurance requires a BFR (or equivalent) every year.

John

It is not uncommon for clubs (and FBO's) to require a check with a club/FBO instructor every so often regardless of any training received elsewhere. This allays concerns over the possibility of an outside flight review having been done with an "Endorsements For Sale" instructor. Not an FAA issue, but their planes, their rules.

Our club requires a full FAA flight review annually. My next one is scheduled for later this month. Probably combine it with an IPC. Somehow the FAA's requirement for one every two years just isn't an issue. :D

Has it been that long since they dropped the word "biennial" from the flight review reg? My, how time does fly...

I was just talking about this yesterday. Wasn't there also a reg for a year or two requiring an annual review if you had less than 400 hours? (or some other hour minimum)

It is not uncommon for clubs (and FBO's) to require a check with a club/FBO instructor every so often regardless of any training received elsewhere. This allays concerns over the possibility of an outside flight review having been done with an "Endorsements For Sale" instructor. Not an FAA issue, but their planes, their rules.

And some of those checkouts are just as bad, since the club doesn't benefit -- today -- from a high failure rate.

I've seen "Club CFIs" who's obvious primary goal was to increase club membership. Secondarily, they checked people out. (There's a club here in town that acts like that. I won't go into details here.)

Then someone prangs a club airplane and they "crack down" for a while, and the cycle repeats.

If clubs really wanted to make it hard, they'd send you up with the competing club's CFIs. Now that would be some entertainment! ;)

Where the Club CFI rule really works is when the Club CFI has significant skin in the game: They also own an aircraft in the club or significant equity in same.

Then you see some tough checkouts! :)

So anything that "counts" as a BFR would count for this too, like wings or a new rating?

As I understand it a rating would suffice, but WINGS does not. But it's their insurance.

And referencing another post, this club's CFI owns 1/2 of the fleet (1 airplane). His checkouts are quite thorough.

John

never heard of the annual under 400

I was just talking about this yesterday. Wasn't there also a reg for a year or two requiring an annual review if you had less than 400 hours? (or some other hour minimum)
I remember that was the original NPRM proposal (AFR's for anyone under two years licensed/400 hours total time, BFR's for everyone else) but I don't remember if that was ever implemented or if it was changed to BFR's for everyone in the Final Rule.

My BFR is "officially" due in November. But I need to do some "knock the rust off" flying since I have done anything since late April. Is it permitted to get this out of the way this month?

If it is, then I'll get with the CFI and log 2 items on the same lesson.

AggieMike

You can do the flying with CFI now and wait until the due date to get the Flight Review Date up dated using the Wings program.

Select 3 flight activities from the Wings Program, get a CFI to fly with you to validate the 3 flight activities. Do this anytime before your Flight Review date.

Complete 3 FREE online courses. Wait until the month your Flight Review is due to complete the 3rd. Your Flight Review Date will be automatically updated on the Wings site on the date you complete your 3rd course.

You can fly now to get the rust off and not change your Flight Review date.

How do I locate one of these guys?

Back