BFI Today

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted.

Time for my BFI this afternoon at 4 p.m.

Will give everyone an update later. The CFI is the instructor that taught me to fly. I relate to him well and enjoy flying with him.

I am going to ask for some "slow flight" training as I would like to go into slow flight and then make too sharp of a turn and stall in the turn. (At 8,000')

I have never experienced a stalled turn on flying my traffic pattern and thought it would be educational to "actually" do this.

Will report back tonight. Wish me well!

Terry :D

Sounds like fun to test out the airplane when you're high enough to fix anything that goes wrong! Awaiting how it went....

BFI??
That's a new one.... Just what would that be?

Good luck! Now, it's time to burn some AvGas!
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Hi All,

OK, OK, BFR! BFR! :D

All went well as we spent a full 2 hours trying out different maneuvers.

Slow flight went well. I entered slow flight and then proceeded to make a sharp turn to the left. To my surprise, the plane didn't stall and fall out of the sky like I thought it would. Instead we made a steep left descending turn losing better than 1,000' a turn.

That is when it finally dawned on me that unless I cross control the plane I won't stall. As long as I stayed coordinated in flight I was fine, except for losing a lot of altitude.

We then did steep turns, several at a time and then switching back to the other rotation. I had always done one, one way, then reversed. This time I did 2 and then reversed.

I did several power on stalls with 15* turn to the left. This is easy as you let go of the yoke and just apply right rudder and Wa-LA, your straight without losing altitude.

I did several slow flight stalls and one time slowed as low as I could and got the airspeed under 40 knots.

Then under the hood, & did emergency landing, hit nearest on GPS and set up best glide speed and made it to LaCrosse, Ks. runway and landed. CFI was impressed. I was impressed myself.:cheerswine:

Before everyone starts criticizing hood procedures and stuff. This CFI & I are good friends and he covered everything necessary in the BFR. I had the privileged of "trying" new things that I would not do by myself.

Then to oral part of the BFR. All went well and I am itching to go flying again.

Terry

That is when it finally dawned on me that unless I cross control the plane I won't stall. As long as I stayed coordinated in flight I was fine, except for losing a lot of altitude.

What did you mean by this? Cross controlling should only increase the stalling speed, not if you will stall. However, Stall+ uncoordinated flight = spin.

How were you expecting to get into the turning (accelerated) stall?

I did several power on stalls with 15* turn to the left. This is easy as you let go of the yoke and just apply right rudder and Wa-LA, your straight without losing altitude.

Wouldn't that be a stalled skid? Am I misunderstanding you?

BFI? I thought you flew to KBFI, Boeing Field International. One of my two home fields. Dave

Yes, but why do people keep calling it a BFR?

It's a Flight Review (FR) :thumbsup:
:idea:

Perhaps for the same reason we call the inspection we need to have done on our planes every 12 months an annual?

Last edited:
:idea:

Perhaps for the same reason we call the inspection we need to have done on our planes every 12 months an annual?

And technically, since it's by calendar month if you put the plane in right at the end of the month it's due, and the sign off is in the next month, your "annual" keeps moving forward one month per year, effectively making it a "annual plus a month minus a week of downtime", if you're lucky and parts don't have to be shipped in, etc... ;)

I call it a BFR because of the requirement to have it done every 24 months.

Just as I would call it a DFR if it was required once every ten years.

At one time, the regs included the B word, but it was removed.

And technically, since it's by calendar month if you put the plane in right at the end of the month it's due, and the sign off is in the next month, your "annual" keeps moving forward one month per year, effectively making it a "annual plus a month minus a week of downtime", if you're lucky and parts don't have to be shipped in, etc... ;)

A Bakers' annual. I used it a few years to adjust my annual month to June.

What did you mean by this? Cross controlling should only increase the stalling speed, not if you will stall. However, Stall+ uncoordinated flight = spin.

How were you expecting to get into the turning (accelerated) stall?

Wouldn't that be a stalled skid? Am I misunderstanding you?

Not always. You can fly a to and through an uncoordinated stall without it spinning in quite a few airplanes. It depends. In fact it's almost impossible in most GA planes to spin it if you are slipping it while stalling.

Stall during slip = probably going to be OK.
Stall during a skid = wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Slow flight went well. I entered slow flight and then proceeded to make a sharp turn to the left. To my surprise, the plane didn't stall and fall out of the sky like I thought it would. Instead we made a steep left descending turn losing better than 1,000' a turn.

Did you have full aft yoke when attempting to maintain constant altitude?

BFI? I thought you flew to KBFI, Boeing Field International. One of my two home fields. Dave

That was my first thought, too. Had an interesting flight to BFI a couple weeks ago. IR training is so fun. :eek:

Hadn't posted in a while, Terry??? Wonder why...

Back