Beyond The Wx Brief on October 22 - 23, 2011 in Dallas, Texas

Scott, I'll be registering soon--waiting to hear from a couple of pilot friends so I can register them at the discount. If I sign up now, can I add them later?

Also, I've sent this out to my contacts at a couple of FBOs and flight clubs, hoping to help fill some seats. Will also try to get this posted on DFWPilots.com

If you haven't already done so, don't forget to post something on the DFW board.

And I'll go post your PDF flyer on some bulletin boards at KDTO tonight.

What is the number of registrants required for this to be a "go"?

Bumped the thread on the DFWPilots.com site.

My registration will go in later today or tomorrow for either 1 or 2 depending on whether the co-owner of my Mooney is interested in attending.

As soon as we get 15 registered we'll setup a dinner somewhere. I'm based at RBD at Ambassador so if you need anything please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

I'll register today... also have a couple of other people "interested", and local FBO have been told about it.

Can you use the FAA Safety site's notification about local events to advertise this to Dallas area pilots interested in receiving event notifications?? I get notices all the time for safety events / seminars put on by American Flyers and other organizations.

I've tried to do this in the past and as long as the event is "for profit" then they won't advertise it locally. Perhaps American Flyers is not charging for these seminars?

True.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Can you use the FAA Safety site's notification about local events to advertise this to Dallas area pilots interested in receiving event notifications?? I get notices all the time for safety events / seminars put on by American Flyers and other organizations.
Uh-oh... we're starting to think in stereo. Also wondered if Scott D. could access this vector.

I remember this is how I found out about Wayne Fink's weather class that was held at Colling County Community College in Plano in March 2010.

Perhaps American Flyers is not charging for these seminars?
They don't. It's a drop by if you want, have some local catered BBQ or a burger/hot dog, sit and enjoy the talk if you want to sit around event.

One I attended 12 months ago had 20+ for the food, and only 8-10 for the presentation.

They don't. It's a drop by if you want, have some local catered BBQ or a burger/hot dog, sit and enjoy the talk if you want to sit around event.

One I attended 12 months ago had 20+ for the food, and only 8-10 for the presentation.

Was Wayne's class free, too? That may be the key to why he hasn't been able to get on the list.

Was Wayne's class free, too? That may be the key to why he hasn't been able to get on the list.
I'm 65% certain it was. But I'm kinda sorta remembering it wasn't... (too long ago, and suffering from brain fatigue today)

It was aslo FAASTeam sponsored and you could get Wings credit.

Most recent count?
count+von+count.jpeg

At this point it is four.

I haven't heard back from my co owner but you can count 5...even if I haven't paid you yet :wink2:.

I sent out an email to a number of people last night and posted the seminar on the cessna pilots association forum.

the seminar on the cessna pilots association forum.
<poke> and you're an owner of a.... ? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Speaking of which, you are going to have it out and available to show off, right?

Can we sit it it and make airplane noises?

<poke> and you're an owner of a.... ? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Speaking of which, you are going to have it out and available to show off, right?

Can we sit it it and make airplane noises?

Nothing but love for Cessnas! I looked really hard at a 182 but ultimately decided the M20J was a better fit for me.

The plane should be in the hangar for at least some portion of the weekend. It needs to be washed & waxed badly...you promise not to hold that against me? I won't be able to take you up as I won't have my transition training complete yet, but I should be close.

Nothing but love for Cessnas! I looked really hard at a 182 but ultimately decided the M20J was a better fit for me.

The plane should be in the hangar for at least some portion of the weekend. It needs to be washed & waxed badly...you promise not to hold that against me? I won't be able to take you up as I won't have my transition training complete yet, but I should be close.
I remember one of the 182's.

No prob about the flight.... we can do that later. I mostly want to take advantage of a closer physical look now that I'm getting a better idea of where I want to be as an eventual owner.

Scott M and Troy....

I think I know what's causing the challenges for local sign-ups......

It's the local state fair effect.... Seems to cause slow downs in many business sectors. Many of my customers are reporting it, as are my vendors.

I'm competing against a Cirrus proficiency program (CPPP) in KC that same weekend and another one in Ft Worth this weekend. The KC CPPP is at 1/2 of their minimum number at this point...so that one might be cancelled and I may get a couple of folks who could attend.

That weekend is also the Mooney Homecoming in Kerrville. I'm anticipating going town on Friday for the day assuming I have my dual hours by then.

If this one doesn't happen hopefully I'll be able to attend a seminar w/in 500 miles of DFW. Kansas City next spring (after the storm season) would be great.

Just for the record. I'd love to do the course and Texas is within easy range of the 182. It's just a bad month for me, schedule-wise. I was fence-sitting about it but that's the only open weekend in October and I need one. ;)

Would love to have you come on down. Be cool to have a chance to meet ya. Then I can return the favor in April when I come out there for an auto recycler's conference usually held at the Inverness.

I hear ya. I just don't think I can swing it this year. October-December are always busy for me.

Doesn't seem to matter which employer, except that one long ago ... that dumped 400 of us out of 500 in November of 2001.

That was um... A bad year. :(

What industry are you currently successful in?

What industry are you currently successful in?

Linux system administration for these folks...
http://www.alpineaccess.com/

Can't get into lots of detail, but we use lots of...
http://www.asterisk.org/
... amongst other Linux'y server/software chewy goodness(TM)...

Now with extra nougat! :) :yikes:

http://aau-media-server.alpineacces...cf7/H1 2011 Results Release FINAL2 9-6-11.pdf

I just keep the back-end systems running but it's kinda fun to be stealing call center jobs back from India.

They just put out info on their "Social Network Policy" a few days ago, so I'm supposed to say that the above comments (of which there really aren't any -- haha!) are my own, and not those of my employer. ;)

Last edited:
That's okay Nate. I don't think the Dallas workshop will meet its minimums anyway. Looks like my last workshop will be in Hilton Head, SC in a couple weeks. I've had to cancel four workshops this year so I don't plan to hold any in-person workshops next year or anytime in the foreseeable future.

Have you considered video taping the Hilton Head seminar? I'd love an excuse to come to SC this time of year but I can't swing it that weekend- I have to be in DFW.

Scott,

I did video tape the Portland, ME workshop. However, the overall quality isn't really good enough to publish it. There are dozens of slides that just can't be seen clearly enough (Skew-T diagrams, for example) and there's also a glare on the screen that wasn't obvious until after viewing the DVD.

I'd really need to hire a professional videographer to do the video properly, but that's not within the budget at this point in time. I might turn a portion of this two day program into a premium workshop or two - but that won't happen until summer or fall of 2012 at the earliest.

I wonder if you could just edit the slides into the video directly instead of relying on the screen view. Since you're not happy with the quality... you could just make it free to your elite members... not that I have any conflict with that recommendation :D.

I'd think that 12 hours of video and 250 slides on weather would be a sure-fire best-seller on the Insomniacs Anonymous website, maybe in the same league as Trammell's radar presentation. :D

great seller
Well, I've modified the program a bit based on comments from those attending. So what I have right now is different than what is on the video. And with 250+ slides and nearly 12 hours of video, that would take some serious time. Not to mention that I did not review the entire video as of yet, so I don't know if there are any glitches during the recording.

Back