Beware your government - they may take your airplane

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I have hesitated about going public with this situation, but since there was a major article in the Dallas News this past Sunday, I feel compelled to shine the light on it.

Donald Fontana is a friend and occasional client of mine, and a good man. When I met Don, he had a 135 operation with a 414 and a 421C; later, pared back to the 421C. Don flew charter clients all over the south, including a whole bunch of hunters and the like. A sound business, a good and experienced pilot, and a pretty darned good sounding board and mentor for me. Shortly after I got my IR, I was faced with flying home from San Antonio to Addison, where the ceilings were stubbornly stuck at 400' , and Don was (by coincidence) there on the ramp with his 421. At my request, he graciously flew my wife and son home - I just did not want them relying upon me for my first ever hard IFR.

In 2009, he flew charter customers (who had been referred to him by the airport manager at an airport in south Texas) to Georgia. After checking into his hotel room, he was visited by members of law enforcement, both local and federal, including DEA/ICE, who informed him that the charter customers were, in fact, transporting drugs.

Remember the video about never speaking to law enforcement without a lawyer present? I give you Exhibit A.

Presuming that an honest man has nothing to hide, he spoke at length with the peace officers and the feds, who used his unwitting comments during their discussions as admissions of guilt and complicity.

Don was held in a federal jail for eight months because, as a pilot, he was a “flight risk.” This, for a sixty-something man with a wife and stable home of decades.

The actual drug traffickers plead guilty in plea bargains, and all told the feds that they went to great lengths to conceal what they were doing from Don, telling him that they were in the oil business and were carrying test and survey equipment. Nonetheless, the feds prosecuted him. At trial, it took the jury less than ninety minutes to find him, Not Guilty.

A free man at last, he thought his troubles were behind him, but the federal lawyers don’t take losing well; they filed a forfeiture action to take his 421, his means of livelihood, away. The painful thing about federal forfeiture actions is, it is the burden of the “claimant” to prove that he or she had no knowledge or reasonable suspicion of the vehicle being used for illegal activity.

So, starting Thursday, in a federal courtroom in Atlanta, he will be fighting to get his plane, parked for three years in Florida, back.

Why they feel compelled to pile insult upon injury, I do not know; but ask yourself - “Could this happen to me?”

Because, you know it could.

Attachments

• Carrollton Man Fights to get Plane Back.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 34
What has our country become? :(

This makes me sick to my stomach, Spike. I hope his plane is returned and he is able to go on with his life.

The war on drugs is the most f'ed up bureaucratic balls up, in the history of law enforcement. If there was ever a deep hole America throws money in, it's the WOD.

However. It keeps lots of sleazy lawyers, and bunch of pretty good ones, in clover.

Welcome to the War on Drugs and the Seizure/Forfeit mentality that RICO has wrought. I hate to say it Spike, but you buddy was barely touched by the insanity I've seen under the RICO statute. I know guys that fought for a decade to get back millions of dollars of unjustly seized money to just get an apology and enough cash to cover legal expenses.

The WOD is the primary cause of 95% the violence in our country and the only reason it's maintained is that it's a cash cow for Executive Branch powers and LEOs at all levels of the game with not a dime going to Treasury. We spend billions of dollars funding a War on Drugs so executive branch agencies can spend money on things that Congress says 'No' to... seems a bit unconstitutional to me, but WTF do I know....

Welcome to the War on Drugs and the Seizure/Forfeit mentality that RICO has wrought. I hate to say it Spike, but you buddy was barely touched by the insanity I've seen under the RICO statute. I know guys that fought for a decade to get back millions of dollars of unjustly seized money to just get an apology and enough cash to cover legal expenses.

The WOD is the primary cause of 95% the violence in our country and the only reason it's maintained is that it's a cash cow for Executive Branch powers and LEOs at all levels of the game with not a dime going to Treasury. We spend billions of dollars funding a War on Drugs so executive branch agencies can spend money on things that Congress says 'No' to... seems a bit unconstitutional to me, but WTF do I know....

I watched an interesting documentary the other day called "Cocaine Cowboys". It was about the genesis of the coke trade back in the '70's and 80's. My take away was that until the trade turned violent in the 80's, law enforcement really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to drug smuggling. But when one of the factions in South Florida started shooting up shopping centers and whacking tables full of diners at restaurants, that triggered the war on drugs and all it entails.

Like the fact that if I'm carrying more than a few thousand bucks on my person, I'm assumed to be a criminal and my $$ can be impounded.

I can make the argument that legalizing drugs would solve a lot of problems. I can make an excellent counter-argument too.

Another way to look at it is "Are coke and pot really worse drugs than alcohol?" If not, we should either legalize them, or make alcohol illegal <again>.

This is really really scary.
Truly our government no longer in control.
Illegal confinement, made legal.
Theft, now sanctioned.

How can we cause legislators to take action, to end these injustices?

It's all about boiling the frog slowly... Our rights with planes, guns, even soft drinks and whatever else you can think of are being taken ever so slowly so that in the end, we will have no rights unfortunately. It really is scary...

I watched an interesting documentary the other day called "Cocaine Cowboys". It was about the genesis of the coke trade back in the '70's and 80's. My take away was that until the trade turned violent in the 80's, law enforcement really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to drug smuggling. But when one of the factions in South Florida started shooting up shopping centers and whacking tables full of diners at restaurants, that triggered the war on drugs and all it entails.

Like the fact that if I'm carrying more than a few thousand bucks on my person, I'm assumed to be a criminal and my $$ can be impounded.

I can make the argument that legalizing drugs would solve a lot of problems. I can make an excellent counter-argument too.

Another way to look at it is "Are coke and pot really worse drugs than alcohol?" If not, we should either legalize them, or make alcohol illegal <again>.

What Bush did after the Dadeland Mall shootings was back the Callais Cartel who promised to keep the violence in South America and helped them defeat the Medellin cartel and the old man's crazy b-ch that was the nut job responsible for the violence. This opened up the floodgates for cheap cocaine, most of it coming into Mena AR, which brought us crack. That was what Bush didn't figure on and where the plan went wrong because when crack cocaine hit the hood in $5 rock form, all the stops on the trade were pulled and the gang banging got underway for real.

Welcome to the realities of the War on Drugs.

Saddest part about it all? He was jailed for it...

Last edited:

You apparently need a lot more money than this guy and have given a lot of it to them. Oh... Sorry. Too true?

You'd think his "Representative" would already be involved in this travesty. Sickening.

I'm really tired of giving the government the power to run stuff like this on BORROWED money they're paying interest on. When are we going to demand they balance their budget?

That'd stop a whole lot of this horse-pucky. You can pass unfunded mandates all day long and cause virtually no damage if there's no MONEY to pay for it all.

You apparently need a lot more money than this guy and have given a lot of it to them. Oh... Sorry. Too true?

You'd think his "Representative" would already be involved in this travesty. Sickening.

I'm really tired of giving the government the power to run stuff like this on BORROWED money they're paying interest on. When are we going to demand they balance their budget?

That'd stop a whole lot of this horse-pucky. You can pass unfunded mandates all day long and cause virtually no damage if there's no MONEY to pay for it all.

When you factor in the cost including the ripple effect of the war on drugs, it would be cheaper and easier to buy the whole crop and give it to the druggies. Eliminate the middle man buy direct and give it away and stop the crime that the high cost of street drugs brings us.

Tom, you speak from a well of common sense.

I'm really saddened to hear about this latest victim of America's misguided war on drugs. It must be really gratifying to have the skills and connections to try and rectify such injustice.

We can't. With respect to any of the super-powers federal agencies, a long-of-tooth attorney friend (old enough to be Spike's dad) told me at least 15 years ago that "if they want you, they'll get you. They have the tools to do it and you don't have the rights to stop it. If I arrest you and another guy for whatever reason, all I must do is promise him immunity if he testifies against you, and you're toast."

This is really really scary.
Truly our government no longer in control.
Illegal confinement, made legal.
Theft, now sanctioned.

At this point, I'm almost afraid to post a comment about this or anything else for that matter.

The war on drugs, and the war on terror have given our government the ability to circumvent due process to keep an expanding government and corporate bureacracy growing, and employing millions, and spending billions. It is not just about the agencies like DHS, DEA, FBI, CIA, BATF, Customs, etc it is also abpout keeping the dollars flowing to the subcontractors making the high tech products to "fight" both of these wars.

Eisenhower was right.

Now, I am probably on multiplie "lists" somewhere.

It just convinces me more that we're toast. Patriot Act, TSA, ability to throw you in jail for showing up with a protest sign.

It just continues downhill from here as we'll soon have drones tracking us, black boxes in all of our cars tracking us, etc.

It is the way it is because we vote for the people who promised to be "tough on crime". What do we expect?

Let me throw my two cents in as a guy who had more than a few hours of interdiction activity: The Emperor has no clothes. To prove Einstein's definition of insanity as repeating the same behavior expecting a different result, our government failed at interdiction during Prohibition, so they are trying it again. You cannot legislate morality. What a waste of resources. In Robert Persig's book "Zen and the Art on Motorcycle Maintenance" he states that any organization, once established subverts its original purpose to self preservation. I offer our "War on Drugs" as a prime example,

Welcome to the War on Drugs and the Seizure/Forfeit mentality that RICO has wrought. I hate to say it Spike, but you buddy was barely touched by the insanity I've seen under the RICO statute. ... seems a bit unconstitutional to me, but WTF do I know....

But, hey, you're not afraid of them so why should we be?

"
Originally Posted by Goofy
It's great to be afraid of the government, isn't it?

"You can choose to be afraid of them, I'm not."

I'm really saddened to hear about this latest victim of America's misguided war on drugs. It must be really gratifying to have the skills and connections to try and rectify such injustice.

What I find incredible is that this came about because some attorney stopped thinking. Remember that it was a person that made this decision and a multitude of people that are enforcing it.

Perhaps there needs to be a way to identify these idio^H^H^H^H^ people and remove them from their positions. Where is the oversight?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It feels like they've forgotten that in favor of notching their belt.

It's all about boiling the frog slowly... Our rights with planes, guns, even soft drinks and whatever else you can think of are being taken ever so slowly so that in the end, we will have no rights unfortunately. It really is scary...

You got that right, Joyce. It isn't as scary for an old guy like me, except I have grandkids who are going to have to deal with the loss of freedom. I think the only chance we have is to band together (AOPA, NRA, etc.) to try to slow down the process.

There is an article in today's Frederick Post about the owners of a local dairy and ice creamery here in the county. Apparently they do a lot of business, in cash, at local farmer's markets. Many of their deposits totalled just under the $10k limit for reporting cash transaction. They had no idea they were doing anything wrong, and had no criminal intent, and explained so to the feds.
Fast forward. The feds made a case that they were intentionally avoiding the reporting requirement, thier accounts, and after a lengthy and expensive battle, the owners settled the case and had to agree to $29.5k in fines to get this behind them. They still face IRS scrutiny.
This is out of control.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=136408

You're missing it altogether, gaining money is the point of all this, it's all about seizing and liquidating assets and cash for free money that is outside of their budget. It's how Law Enforcement steals from the public; i.e. "The Enemy".

The dairy farm story makes me think of my industry. I'm very above board, but I'm aware of some other local yards that might come under similar scrutiny.

I still don't see how this reconciles with "nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation." (although I haven't looked for the answer)

I still don't see how this reconciles with "nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation." (although I haven't looked for the answer)

Fines are not considered to be "takings".

With respect to forfeitures, there is a long history in the law of taking away "fruits of a forbidden tree".

All it takes to get away from the Constitutional mandate is to bin a taking into one of the "fines" or "forbidden fruit" boxes.

There is another way but it is not at issue in this thread.

Look up RICO, the most unconstitutional law we ever passed coinciding with our "War on Drugs". If law enforcement wants something of yours, all they have to do is ask you where you got it. If you can't prove that it's not an ill gotten gain (very difficult in San Fernando County) they take it: "F.U.". It's still on the books because it's a cash cow of corrupting unregulated, unbudgeted funds.

I often wonder if there is not a SINGLE judge willing to throw this all out and make the offending officers serve some time to make sure they get the point.

A place where due process is a distant memory.

You have due process. The problem is one of unequal access the the legal system. The government controls the law and decides what it is or not subject to. You are then forced to pay thousands of dollars (to an attorney and the legal system) to protect your "contitutionally guaranteed rights".

At this point, I'm almost afraid to post a comment about this or anything else for that matter.

Now, I am probably on multiplie "lists" somewhere.

Likewise.

Let me throw my two cents in as a guy who had more than a few hours of interdiction activity: The Emperor has no clothes. To prove Einstein's definition of insanity as repeating the same behavior expecting a different result, our government failed at interdiction during Prohibition, so they are trying it again. You cannot legislate morality. What a waste of resources. In Robert Persig's book "Zen and the Art on Motorcycle Maintenance" he states that any organization, once established subverts its original purpose to self preservation. I offer our "War on Drugs" as a prime example,

The big difference now is that the "surveillance society" has the capability to monitor and record everything you do. Any electronic communication, even a cellphone that's turned on but not in use. If the "big data" analytics ever get good enough (and they will....) the capability will exist for complete tracking of everyone.

The question boils down to "how much do you trust your government". The answer for most Americans now is most likely different than it was in the Nixon era. Many younger Americans do not care one whit about privacy.

Look up RICO, the most unconstitutional law we ever passed coinciding with our "War on Drugs". If law enforcement wants something of yours, all they have to do is ask you where you got it. If you can't prove that it's not an ill gotten gain (very difficult in San Fernando County) they take it: "F.U.". It's still on the books because it's a cash cow of corrupting unregulated, unbudgeted funds.

Technically, RICO was passed with an entirely different intent, prior to the "War on Drugs" era. It was used (or repurposed) to fight the war on drugs. Yes, a technicality, but it replaced the more cumbersome use of Admiralty Laws.

BTW, RICO has also been applied in corporate civil cases involving alleged discrimination and contract disputes.

i'd be looking into finding a target for a case of malicious / wrongful prosecution - starting with whomever gave the ICE the obvious reason for probable cause.

I often wonder if there is not a SINGLE judge willing to throw this all out and make the offending officers serve some time to make sure they get the point.

You don't get re-elected by being "soft on crime".

Some one is claiming that a drug smuggling pilot was stopped and his airplane taken away. The real facts are irrelevant compared to the value of a sound bite.

There is an article in today's Frederick Post about the owners of a local dairy and ice creamery here in the county. Apparently they do a lot of business, in cash, at local farmer's markets. Many of their deposits totalled just under the $10k limit for reporting cash transaction. They had no idea they were doing anything wrong, and had no criminal intent, and explained so to the feds.
In order for the feds to even know about it, they had to have been reported by their bank. If their bank didn't first talk to them to find out why they were making those deposits, or to advise them of the need to fill out the form if needed, then they weren't doing their job. I believe there is required recurrent annual training on this kind of stuff for all bank employees, even the ones who never see customers.

When you factor in the cost including the ripple effect of the war on drugs, it would be cheaper and easier to buy the whole crop and give it to the druggies. Eliminate the middle man buy direct and give it away and stop the crime that the high cost of street drugs brings us.

Peter Jennings at the end of one of his news broadcasts about 10 years ago said exactly the same thing...I guess Nobody was listening

In order for the feds to even know about it, they had to have been reported by their bank. If their bank didn't first talk to them to find out why they were making those deposits, or to advise them of the need to fill out the form if needed, then they weren't doing their job. I believe there is required recurrent annual training on this kind of stuff for all bank employees, even the ones who never see customers.

I work for a bank, and the laws are very specific as to watching for deposits that are just under the limits. I'm one of those poor saps who has to have the training even though he doesn't deal with customers, so I don't keep it at the front of my mind, but I do know that they train not just to watch for that magic number, but to keep an eye on figures just under it as well. And when we make that report to the government, we are not allowed to tell the customer. Other than that, I don't remember much of it at the moment.

Back