Beware your government - they may take your airplane

Unless you can ruin the officers lives financially this crap will continue to go on. The government has a printing press so suing them does little good to solve the problem.

I used to say that too. Until someone pointed out to me that it puts the odds in the favor of the guy with the deepest pockets. Say, for example, a couple of Wal-Mart security guards nab my child and she needs medical attention and they don't call EMS and she dies....I should have a good case against Wal-Mart. Except that I have a really steep uphill legal battle and they'll undoubtedly rack up millions in attorneys fees that I would be responsible for if I lost. Most people wouldn't risk it.
Good point.... Hmmm....

I have one question; Is it now too late to reign in our government?

-John
That's a good question. I believe it depends on how much we're collectively willing to hurt, because it will be painful. That pain would be worth it, compared to where we're headed, though.

I guess I should re-phrase that question to include 'through legal means'. I know one thing for certain, it is way, way, too late to reign it in through armed insurrection. Our government is considerably more powerful than the people it governs. To consider anything other than due process would be foolish and destined to be a guaranteed failure.

So here it is again; Is it now too late to reign in our government through legal means?

-John

I guess I should re-phrase that question to include 'through legal means'. I know one thing for certain, it is way, way, too late to reign it in through armed insurrection. Our government is considerably more powerful than the people it governs. To consider anything other than due process would be foolish and destined to be a guaranteed failure.

So here it is again; Is it now too late to reign in our government through legal means?

-John
I wasn't referring to anything illegal. The cuts that will be necessary to save our country will hurt someone, and it won't be illegal. The question is how much can be cut before people start screaming loud enough for the pols to change their minds and go back to the old ways of giving everyone a handout.

ISo here it is again; Is it now too late to reign in our government through legal means?

-John

If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said yes it is too late. With Scott Walker winning, it makes me think that if we had more Scott Walkers who had the guts to stand up to the bureacracies there may be a chance.

I know they are two different scenarios, but we need politicians that aren't afraid to buck the system and risk their political careers to do what is right.

Could Americans "win" a guerilla war against the government? I don't think so, but they may be able to make enough trouble, and/or get part of the military on their side to affect a negotiated settlement. Very unlikely, I know, and it is something I would neither recommend NOR support.

And if the pols won't start cutting, the only way to save our country WILL be to exercise our second amendment rights, for the reason that our founding fathers meant for them to exist, and that is to protect ourselves from a government gone bad.

Unless you can ruin the officers lives financially this crap will continue to go on. The government has a printing press so suing them does little good to solve the problem.

What is the oversight? Who looks after these people to make sure they're not abusing their power?

If the answer is anybody, then they're not doing a very good job at it.

I have one question; Is it now too late to reign in our government?

-John

One couldn't fight a clerk at city hall and win. The machinery is too large and too complex.

Could Americans "win" a guerilla war against the government? I don't think so, but they may be able to make enough trouble, and/or get part of the military on their side to affect a negotiated settlement. Very unlikely, I know, and it is something I would neither recommend NOR support.

I wouldn't recommend nor support it, either, but I think the government would be surprised at the power the people still reign, should they be provoked.

I wouldn't recommend nor support it, either, but I think the government would be surprised at the power the people still reign, should they be provoked.
And provoke is what our government has been doing for years. It is just getting more intense now.

You can very easily carry out revolt, by either running for office or supporting someone who is. If everyone were truly fed up, we'd have a new government that was responsive to our wishes.

The problem is very few people are truly fed up. No one likes the government debt, but no one seems to want to give up the military or anything else. Moreover, most people support the War on Drugs, view drugs and those who distribute them as villains, and feel we need to do more for morality or the children or whatever. We are in the smallest of minorities.

Look what armed insurgents have done to us with basic weaponery in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Sometimes only armed with bolt action Moisin Nagants, Enfields, or worse!

The next revolution will start fiscally. That's why they want to know about any transaction more than $1000 in the name of "stopping drug dealers".

I did run for office once. It was in a small town of 1200 people, and many of those people were fed up. I was unknown, as I had only lived there for just under 2 years, and kept to myself. I got talked into running because the guy who owned the small auto body shop who repaired my car after I hit a deer, his wife was running for village board president, and they talked me into also running. There were three positions for village trustee, and two of the three people running were incumbents, and the board was going to be swayed against this prospective mayor's leanings on expansion. The board in power had approved two developments, totalling 660 new homes, to add to our 400ish home village. The water treatment facility didn't have capacity for these 660 homes, and would have to be expanded at an additional cost to ALL of us, and yet the current board was considering another development of over 1100 additional homes, which would more than triple the size of our little village in no time at all.

It was too late for me to get on the ballot, so I registered as a write-in candidate. Working lots of overtime at the time, I didn't have much time in the two remaining weeks to campaign. I sent a post card to each home, and one afternoon a friend and I went door-knocking.

Basically, no one knew me, and my name wasn't even on the ballot. There was virtually no chance that I would get elected.

On election day, after they threw out a bunch of my votes (no idea the number) because of irregularities (spelled name wrong, checked write-in but didn't write my name, wrote my name but didn't select it), I won one precinct but lost overall by 3%. Not bad for an unknown. The only thing people knew about me was that I wasn't Pete (the incumbent that a lot of us wanted out).

It was quite a neat experience, and I don't know if I'll ever do it again (I now live in another state), but that's my running for office story.

A lot can be said of people who are fed up. I think that there are probably more of us fed up than we think, but none of us are organized. And of course, the minute we organize, Uncle Obamessiah will send guys with suits, dark glasses, and earpieces knocking on our doors...

You can very easily carry out revolt, by either running for office or supporting someone who is. If everyone were truly fed up, we'd have a new government that was responsive to our wishes.

The problem is very few people are truly fed up. No one likes the government debt, but no one seems to want to give up the military or anything else. Moreover, most people support the War on Drugs, view drugs and those who distribute them as villains, and feel we need to do more for morality or the children or whatever. We are in the smallest of minorities.
The real problem is that for every person who's truly fed up there are at least two who are completely apathetic, and a few more who are just terrified of anything changing.

The real problem is that for every person who's truly fed up there are at least two who are completely apathetic, and a few more who are just terrified of anything changing.

vizzini1.jpg

Yeah, that.

Twirling toward the Spin Zone very quickly....

If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said yes it is too late. With Scott Walker winning, it makes me think that if we had more Scott Walkers who had the guts to stand up to the bureacracies there may be a chance.

Meh... Scott Walker is simply reinventing the bureaucracies to his own liking, and trying to limit the power of those who oppose him. Same ol' trick as, well, every politician, ever. :frown2:

Back