Beware! Windows Update version 1903...

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
...has all but bricked my desktop.

It has erased all my links on my home screen. It has erased my defaults. It tells me I need a different program to view .jpg files. and more, I am sure. This is just nuts!

Beware!

Furiously yours....

-Skip

...has all but bricked my desktop.

It has erased all my links on my home screen. It has erased my defaults. It tells me I need a different program to view .jpg files. and more, I am sure. This is just nuts!

Beware!

Furiously yours....

-Skip

Dude, 1903 was released in May of 2019? How often do you update your machine? Once a year?

I have 1909 and all is well.

it is 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 that has done me in!

Where is the uninstall button? (that is a rhetorical question....)

-Skip

it is 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 that has done me in!

Where is the uninstall button?

-Skip

You should be able to rollback, 10 has system checkpoints and it backs itself up after any updates. Check the recovery section in windows updates. Or maybe just update to 1909?

You can sometimes just uninstall the update through control panel and it will revert.

Or just roll all the way back and start over :)

...or set your network connection as a "Metered Connection" and do not allow auto-updates. Wait a while for the update to brick everone else's computers and the update for the update to be released and stable for a while before allowing the update to update...

I believe when this was first pushed out to me it crippled my laptop as well. You CAN uninstall it and that helped. The suggestion is to update ALL of your drivers before running this update. I did that, then the update was forced on me again. I had a few lingering issues where if you do enough googling, you 'should' find fixes for. I found a specific doc for my issues and it cleared them right up. been fine ever since...………..fingers crossed.

What’s Windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s Windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:D
The plural form of:

window
[ win-doh ]
noun
an opening in the wall of a building, the side of a vehicle, etc., for the admission of air or light, or both, commonly fitted with a frame in which are set movable sashes containing panes of glass.
such an opening with the frame, sashes, and panes of glass, or any other device, by which it is closed.
the frame, sashes, and panes of glass, or the like, intended to fit such an opening: Finally the builders put in the windows.
a windowpane.
verb (used with object)
to furnish with a window or windows.
Obsolete. to display or put in a window.

My recycle bin no longer works after last update. Files delete permanently. Cant figure it out.

OK, FALSE ALARM! My bad...

My computer has two hard drives: C: which is a solid state 120 Gig solid state which contains all the system files and program files. It was essentially full, with less than 5 Gigs free.
The D: drive is conventional, has 925 Gigs capacity and is less than 1/3 full. It is used for user-loaded programs and data.

The Windows update filled up the C: drive and things went berserk from there.

I went through the C: drive and uninstalled all programs that I have never used, as well as older update files. This reclaimed 10 Gigs of space on the drive.

After this, the computer works as it did before.

The D: drive So all is well for now.... Sorry to alarm the masses!

-Skip

My computer has two hard drives: C: which is a solid state 120 Gig solid state which contains all the system files and program files. It was essentially full, with less than 5 Gigs free.
FYI, depending on make/model it's generally bad form to let an SSD stay above 50% or so for extended periods of time.

I believe the C: drive was close to 80% full when the machine was new out of the box....

-Skip

The full SSD thing completely depends on the age and tech of the drive. Many recent ones handle writes just fine into the 90% range, really old stuff needs the sort of babying mentioned. And various levels in between.

https://superuser.com/questions/1344650/how-much-slower-do-ssds-get-as-they-fill-up-or-age

Generally all that happens is writes become stupidly slow. Reads still scream compared to spinning ferrous metals.

The split drive thing was popular when SSD was expensive (Seagate even made a hybrid, that sucked, long ago) and less so now. 1TB of SSD is cheap. Gamers often keep a very big second spinner for games because they’re enormous and don’t take too big a hit from loading massive reads from them at game start or jumping to a new game level.

But SSD has gotten so cheap we don’t bother anymore for office/productivity type workloads anymore. Just a big SSD.

Getting out of the consumer space, there’s still specialty server SSDs with multiple PCI lane support and deep queues that are worth the money and special motherboards to feed them for some workloads like busy databases. Smoking fast.

Back