For Sale BEWARE - Scammed by "davclarkeee"

razorseal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
razorseal
Hey all,

I was looking for a backup radio and had posted in one of the posts here. I was reached out by "davclarkeee" regarding him selling a YT-450 for 200 (same price as the other gentleman selling one).

I asked for pics and got a photo. he emailed me to send the money via Zelle to jackiezeus23@gmail.com ref John O Neal.

I had a feeling something was fishy here and should have listened to my gut, especially knowing he had 0 posts here. I sent the money... He sent me several other items he was selling due to "cancer issues". That was on October 9th.

I reached out to him few times and he told me he shipped it but was unable to provide a tracking number (12 days ago). Lastly he said he'll go to the post office and ask what happened... I reached out to him for updates a week ago and he hasn't responded. I told him I will be contacting my bank for fraud on his account, along with contact the police 4 days ago. Still nothing. I asked for a refund before I contact the bank for fraud and the police and he hasn't responded since.

I did do a local check via the police department and there is no information regarding the name or the emails associated. I will contact bank with the police report and see what happens... I'm not hoping much.

I found he made a post on another forum trying to sell few other items. I wanted to let everyone know not to deal with this individual.

He is still active here and lurking the forums.

He is no longer active here (and so are a couple of related accounts). In the future, it would be faster to report these direct to the staff here, so that we may step on it quickly (and use the latest attempts to plant more traps to stop things like this from happening).

Last edited:
I am always curious in instances like these where the source IP hails from. US VPN endpoint?

Sorry for your troubles, scammers suck. One reason behind the pencil/proof of life rule before committing to a transaction.

Yeah, lesson learned. Sucks for me. I had a slight feeling, so I didn't get too butt hurt about it.

I hope others didn't get scammed as well.

my feeling started when I saw the name "David Clarkeee" trying to sell me a radio LOL.

I'm curious if Zelle will reimburse or close out the bank account.

They will most likely tell you Zelle is only to be used for friends/family and other persons you trust, and you're SOL for mis-using it.

why would you even remotely use zelle or venmo for someone you dont know and have never met ? Use paypal (and not friends and family). If they ***** about the fees, cover the fees. if they arent willing to ship with you covering paypal fees - then bail because you know its a scam. Paypal will rescind their payment if they dont ship. If you're trying to save the 2.9% - well then you dont deserve any buyer protection. . .

Sorry to hear about that, yes next time stick to PayPal buying items (not friends & family). I’m surprised an idiot would use Zelle as now you have his real name. Only problem is law enforcement probably doesn’t care. There is an internet crimes reporting system, I’d recommend filing a complaint.

Last edited:
@TCABM what is the proof of life rule? How do you confirm?

I bought a light speed headset off a FB group last year. Seemed a little fishy. It was Greg Brown's Student network group.

I sent him a note and asked if he knew the person. Greg Brown called me! I knew his voice from his podcast.

Pretty cool. He vouched for the lady. I paid the money and got my headset (and have been flying with it since).

I've also been scammed. That stinks.

Send me a picture of the item with a pencil/pen,today’s newspaper included.

Essentially, you’re forcing their hand to take a photo of the item with something unique in it. Can that tactic backfire? Sure, but it’s pretty dang easy to detect.
Today's newspaper? If I were on the receiving end of that request I think I may have a little difficulty fulfilling it in this year of Our Lord 2023 :lol::lol:

why would you even remotely use zelle or venmo for someone you dont know and have never met ? Use paypal (and not friends and family). If they ***** about the fees, cover the fees. if they arent willing to ship with you covering paypal fees - then bail because you know its a scam. Paypal will rescind their payment if they dont ship. If you're trying to save the 2.9% - well then you dont deserve any buyer protection. . .

I have sold and purchased more things than your average person including you probably. I've been scammed once and thst was on ebay. I never had issues with zelle, paypal friends and family or venmo. It is what it is. My fault wasn't zelle. It was dealing with someone with 0 posts.

Sorry to hear about that, yes next time stick to PayPal buying items (not friends & family). I’m surprised an idiot would use Zelle as now you have his real name. Only problem is law enforcement probably doesn’t care. There is an internet crimes reporting system, I’d recommend filing out a complaint.

I am law enforcement. Came up empty handed from preliminary. I can't work my own case and I'd have to get bank to subpoena his bank records and file a report with an officer that wouldn't cause conflict of interest. It's alot of work

Hold the item and a penny while doing a selfie lol

giphy.gif

There are a few of these schmucks trolling the aviation groups on Facebook too, beware, they are setting up some pretty good covers. Be very cautious when you see post like "I have bought from them they are great.."

Had one that was willing to sell a Garmin 430W that was refurbished and still in the box from Gramin that I got down to $3000.00. Once we agreed on the price they got really pushy about sending the money. I had asked for photos of the actual unit with the serial #, FAA 8130, and let them know I could have someone pick it up in person in a few days, I never heard from them again.

Hey all,

I was looking for a backup radio and had posted in one of the posts here. I was reached out by "davclarkeee" regarding him selling a YT-450 for 200 (same price as the other gentleman selling one).

I asked for pics and got a photo. he emailed me to send the money via Zelle to jackiezeus23@gmail.com ref John O Neal.

I had a feeling something was fishy here and should have listened to my gut, especially knowing he had 0 posts here. I sent the money... He sent me several other items he was selling due to "cancer issues". That was on October 9th.

I reached out to him few times and he told me he shipped it but was unable to provide a tracking number (12 days ago). Lastly he said he'll go to the post office and ask what happened... I reached out to him for updates a week ago and he hasn't responded. I told him I will be contacting my bank for fraud on his account, along with contact the police 4 days ago. Still nothing. I asked for a refund before I contact the bank for fraud and the police and he hasn't responded since.

I did do a local check via the police department and there is no information regarding the name or the emails associated. I will contact bank with the police report and see what happens... I'm not hoping much.

I found he made a post on another forum trying to sell few other items. I wanted to let everyone know not to deal with this individual.

He is still active here and lurking the forums.
I also got scammed via Zelle here on PoA over a year ago for $1050 on a deal for an electric towbar for our Debonair
*Shame on me*

Sorry you got burned.

I love Zelle, because it's very fast and completely free. Only for friends or family. For things that are relatively inexpensive where I don't know the vendor, I'll use paypal. That includes Ali. For trusted vendors I use Visa. The only outfits I'll use ACH or Debit with are utilities, insurance companies, banks. I've never used venmo, cash app, etc. Too much hassle, no perceived gain for me. I'm probably a bit conservative.

I also got scammed via Zelle here on PoA over a year ago for $1050 on a deal for an electric towbar for our Debonair
*Shame on me*
Please file a report on the link I shared previously, it just baffles me how law enforcement doesn’t go after these things especially when it is so traceable.

Please file a report on the link I shared previously, it just baffles me how law enforcement doesn’t go after these things especially when it is so traceable.
I am trying to buy a Rotax diagnostic wire called BUDS, I posted on EAA and fly-rotax. I received an email and as I was asking questions that didn't get answered, I started to realize it was a scam-troll that goes around looking for 'suckers' like my dear, sweet, trusting, mom... who gave a bunch of money to Microsoft Tech Support, Pakistan

sorry you got scammed, but that was three strikes hes out. 0 posts, zelle, and and a gmail account........

Back