Beta sticking on Piper Meridian

kennyboy1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kennyboy
As of recent, whenever touching down and attempting BETA, there is a lockout period... Once the BETA activates, it is normal throughout rest of ground ops. No problem on next startup. Only an issue on touchdown. Took plane to maintenance shop and squat switches were normal. Checked Reverse Lockout switch - Normal timing (@ 5 sec). Maintenance stated that the delay was within standards... This anomaly has just started within the past 2 months and other owner/pilot has commented...
Do not have this issue on any other turbines, Caravan, KingAir...
Have call into to Piper, but no one has responded... Probably all working remotely...
Hoping someone can offer insight.... thanks.

Are you saying that once established on your landing rollout you can't physically engage beta as in the lever is blocked? What is the time frame from when your mains touch and your beta becomes available?

As to the other turbines not having an issue, if I recall correctly, only the Meridians have a squat switch activated reverse lockout. But I could be mistaken.

Piper seems to like reverse lockout systems, versus other manufacturers just telling the pilots to not go past the gate. I have monkeyed with old Cheyennes keeping that system working. Lots of micro switch adjustments and replacements.

When first landing, you may not have enough weight on the nose to depress the squat switch. I assume you are using aerodynamic braking, pulling yoke back. A couple things to experiment with is to hold aircraft off a bit longer and touch down with less airspeed so the elevator has less authority and there is more weight when landing. You may also try to relax the back pressure a bit more quickly — somewhat counter to training, but if you are in need of beta or reverse….

As of recent, whenever touching down and attempting BETA, there is a lockout period... Once the BETA activates, it is normal throughout rest of ground ops. No problem on next startup. Only an issue on touchdown. Took plane to maintenance shop and squat switches were normal. Checked Reverse Lockout switch - Normal timing (@ 5 sec). Maintenance stated that the delay was within standards... This anomaly has just started within the past 2 months and other owner/pilot has commented...
Do not have this issue on any other turbines, Caravan, KingAir...
Have call into to Piper, but no one has responded... Probably all working remotely...

Back