Best way to study for the FAA written

AndrewB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FinalApproach
Hello everyone!
I have now started flight school, (Just had my 3rd lesson today) And I've done quite a bit of studying for the FAA written, but I don't have a very good memory, making it quite a bit of a challenge. I know it's not required until the end of your training, but I'd like to get it done ASAP. I've taken a few FAA written practice tests, and have mainly been scoring in the 50s and 60s.. I know that's really bad, but I'm trying my best to get better.

For studying, I have the Sporty's Learn to fly course, and the ASA private pilot kit.
I'd also like to add that I'm doing home study, and not ground lessons with a CFI.

Anyone have any recommendations for studying? Is there a good way to learn all the material if you have a bad memory? Will just continuing to watch the Sporty's videos be all I need, or should I use other material for studying?

Thank you all for your time!

I did the Gold Seal ground school. The course is really good and the practice exams really helped. I just took the test on Saturday and got 97%. Best $199 I spent.

I also used Gold Seal for the private and did well. If you already have the Sporty’s you could do that and then use the Dauntless software to practice and memorize the answers. Their question deck is quite good and their practice modes can definitely help with the memorization part.

I studied PPL written with Sporty and then purchased their IFR written. By the time, I finished preparing IFR, I didn't feel as solid, so I purchased GoldSeal's IFR & Commerical bundle. I don't know whether, or not, I have a good memory, but the preparation system helps to you repeat the ones until you either get it or remember it. A couple of free resources can also help you understand some hard to understand concepts, one of them is called Pilot Training System Youtube channel.
For test-taking, you can have endless problems at http://www.exams4pilots.org/

If there were any advice, my two cents are that you keep reading and practising the tests... Watching all the video is mandatory to get your endorsement, but doing that alone won't get you to pass the exams. Do their practice tests. You may not understand the first time or times, but as you put more time into it, you will get it. Keep in mind, some 83% of the applicants passed the PPL each year. So did I and so will you!

PPL I used King to actually learn the material and then finished up with the Sporty's Study Buddy app.... drill and kill a couple of weeks before the exam and got a 98. For IR, used the sporty's coupled with the Jepp textbook. Then drill and kill with Sheppard Air and got a 60/60.

The pattern here is to use a comprehensive ground school package to actually learn the material and then a rote memorization tool right before the exam to pass with a high score.

You really will want to learn the material or else you will struggle when it comes time for your oral with the DPE.

I agree with Deelee about Shappard based on forum posts. The written is just a hurdle you must get past in order to progress, so get past it as quickly and easily as possible and concentrate on flying skills. Your score on the written has little impact on your future success.

Bob

I agree with Deelee about Shappard based on forum posts. The written is just a hurdle you must get past in order to progress, so get past it as quickly and easily as possible and concentrate on flying skills. Your score on the written has little impact on your future success.

Bob

True enough. I got 100% on the PP written, but that didn't mean much, other than there were fewer things for the DPE to pick on during the oral (and I was well prepared by my CFI for that).

I used the King Schools courses for PP and IR. If you can tolerate Martha's humor they work well. At least, they did for me. They only teach the written in the written classes, but they teach them well. Take the practice tests and go back to review where you didn't do well.

Keep us posted on your progress and fire away with any questions. We have all sorts of people on this board. Some are highly qualified and experienced CFIs and CFIIs. Others, like me, aren't instructors, but we have been flying for a while (and, if smart, let the CFIs and CFIIs answer your questions while we learn more from them).

Remember, we're all counting on you!

I used the King courses to learn the material and Sheppard Air to ace the tests. One good thing about the King courses are the short video snippets for each topic, so it allows for quick review if you need further clarification. Their terrible, cheesy jokes get old quick though. I have a teenager who wants to start learning soon and I'm not sure I can subject him to the King courses. Who would've thought I'd one day have to google the "What in Sam Hill?" phrase to learn what it means, since John King says it so often! o_O

Last edited:
Another plug for Sporty's courses, but most importantly their practice testing program. I just finished my Instrument written 6-8 weeks ago, and also used Sporty's for my PPL a year ago. The Sporty's video content is well done, but not enough to get a good score without supplementing with books imo. I took practice category test questions, and repeated several I didn't do well on. Here was the secret for me toward the end- I ended up taking 13 full practice tests, about one every morning, each taking about 1hr 15-30 min so I didn't take a lot of time with each test. I kept a note pad and wrote down the ones I got wrong, and reviewed my growing list before taking every test. First test mid/high 70s, then toward the end last 5 were low/mid 90s.

While I made 90 on my Instrument test, I took the whole time on the FAA test, carefully reviewing each question and marking ones I was not sure about to go back to after going through the whole thing. I was getting nervous early on in the test as there were many questions I had never seen, but knew most of the concepts so after a lot of thought I could exclude the answer I knew wasn't right and focus on choosing between the other two I wasn't sure of. This is generally what I did on my PPL test prep too, but did not take quite as many practice test (PPL test is not quite as hard as Instrument).

Just hammer practice test after test, keep a list of what you missed (and understand why), and you will do fine!

Hello, I just joined the forum and this is my first post. There is a lot of great information on this site.

I have been interested in aviation since a very young age and have decided to begin studying for the FAA written exam. There are many online courses available, but my local airport has a flight school that provides in-person preparation classes for the FAA exam. The classes are one night a week for two hours and tuition includes taking all the classes as many times as desired. I am leaning towards an online course because it would allow me to study at my own pace and schedule, and re-watch videos whenever I wanted.

The only benefit I can think of for taking an in-person class at a flight school is the ability to ask questions to a live instructor. Are there other advantages to an in-person class?

Best regards,

-Ed B.

Are there other advantages to an in-person class?
Hearing the questions asked by the other students that you didn’t realize you too wanted to ask

Making potentially valuable connections with other people in the aviation community.

Seeing the instructor use a visual on the whiteboard that turns a complicated topic into an easily understood one.

Not watching Martha’s hair remain the same while John loses his.

Are there other advantages to an in-person class...

Form a study group. That’s what I did with several others in my in-person ppl class. We met on our own time and went through the question bank book in detail.

Just.....so.....wrong......

Mmm. . . . Martha. Like a fine wine, she just gets better with age.

Seriously, I liked their ground school material for the IR. Sure, a little hokey, and the splicing of new scenes with old scenes that were obviously recorded decades apart to reflect updates to the FARs is amusing, but the substance is honestly quite good.

My CFI had loaned me the Sporty's course, but it was pretty dry and I found my self nodding off at times. So, I personally preferred the Kings.

Thank you all for your input. I hadn't really considered the benefits of having other students in the class - it's been a while since I've been to school! So, thanks.

-Ed B.

Sporty's videos that the CFI provided + Gleim books for PPL. Had not heard of Sheppard Air back in 2010.

For IR in 2015 - Gleim books to learn the info. Sheppard to knock out the written. Repeat for commercial. All scores 90+.

Not watching Martha’s hair remain the same while John loses his.

My first instrument instructor loved using King tapes. If I never hear Marth's voice again for as long as I live it will be too soon. I am certain she is a wonderful person and kind of reminds me of my grandmother from 30 years ago, but her voice just grates on my nerves.. :(

Just.....so.....wrong......
Whaaa. High waisted pants paired with a mans gold shirt doesn’t do it for ya??!! Un-American is what that is right there.
There is a secret drinking game based on John's bald spot. If during the same learning segment, it changes size, take a drink.
Jeez if I knew that I would have never gotten through my instrument

Back