Best way to start IFR Training?

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
Ive had my PPL for about 3 years now I try to fly once or twice a month. About 72.5 hours at this point. Was thinking of IFR. What do you guys think, getting in the plane and start doing some training and then do the written all that. I was thinking this approach would be good as you see it first in your face, try it physically and then you read and you understand more.

Well, you should read a little before you start.

Your first lessons will be all about the instrument scan. Talk to your instructor about which methods he prefers, and then study it.

I agree that it's not necessary to pound out the written before you start, unless you're attempting one of those accelerated programs.

In addition to starting the book knowledge, there are some flying activities you can start working on while a VFR pilot.

Fly as many cross country flights as you can, bonus points visiting airports you have not been to yet. During these flights:

Make use of Flight Following. Practice your radio skills asking for FF while airborne, listening for your call sign and the instructions that follow, switching frequencies between ATC sectors and checking in with the new one.

Practice precise control of the aircraft. Remain within +/- 5° of the desired course and +/- 50 feet of your assigned altitude.

Practice using VORs. Work on how to tune your NAV radio, verify the VOR by the morse code. Practice intercepting the radial and tracking it to the station, then departing the station on a different radial. This involves setting the OBS on your CDI and learning what the needles are telling you. Bonus points if you do a cross country as Departure Airport >> VOR >> VOR >> Destination Airport.

Practice stabilized approaches. As you turn final, is your airplane settled in on a stable and on centerline descent and stays there with your hand off of the yoke? If you're not at this point, get with a CFI and hone this edge. Learn the "numbers" (RPM, pitch, manifold pressure) your airplane likes to be at to achieve a desired descent rate and airspeed.

If you can gain proficiency in these items before you start formal training, it will be time well spent and make it easier for your CFI-I to teach you the "bigger tasks" of IFR flying.

Last edited:
Find a good CFII, follow their guidance.

You'll want to find someone with IMC experience outside of instructing, I'd probably be looking for a CFII with at least 1000TT, 20+ IMC, and experience I'm ice. If they ain't including IOAT in their scan, bad news.

Good advise get all up to par then start a new process.
:wink2:
In addition to starting the book knowledge, there are some flying activities you can start working on while a VFR pilot.

Fly as many cross country flights as you can, bonus points visiting airports you have not been to yet. During these flights:

Make use of Flight Following. Practice your radio skills asking for FF while airborne, listening for your call sign and the instructions that follow, switching frequencies between ATC sectors and checking in with the new one.

Practice precise control of the aircraft. Remain within +/- 5° of the desired course and +/- 50 feet of your assigned altitude.

Practice using VORs. Work on how to tune your NAV radio, verify the VOR by the morse code. Practice intercepting the radial and tracking it to the station, then departing the station on a different radial. This involves setting the OBS on your CDI and learning what the needles are telling you. Bonus points if you do a cross country as Departure Airport >> VOR >> VOR >> Destination Airport.

Practice stabilized approaches. As you turn final, is your airplane settled in on a stable and on centerline descent and stays there with your hand off of the yoke? If you're not at this point, get with a CFI and hone this edge. Learn the "numbers" (RPM, pitch, manifold pressure) your airplane likes to be at to achieve a desired descent rate and airspeed.

If you can gain proficiency in these items before you start formal training, it will be time well spent and make it easier for your CFI-I to teach you the "bigger tasks" of IFR flying.

Get more x country PIC time. Get flight following and talk to ATC as much as possible. You need to be very comfortable talking on the radio if you aren't already. Good luck!

Find a good CFII, follow their guidance.

You'll want to find someone with IMC experience outside of instructing, I'd probably be looking for a CFII with at least 1000TT, 20+ IMC, and experience I'm ice. If they ain't including IOAT in their scan, bad news.

What's IOAT? Indicated OAT? IF so, why not just OAT? Thanks!

What's IOAT? Indicated OAT? IF so, why not just OAT? Thanks!

Not a huge difference for the most part in this case

IOAT
Indicated Outside Air Temperature is the temperature
obtained from an indicator and not corrected for
instrument error and compressibility effects.

OAT
Outside Air Temperature is the free air static
temperature, obtained either from inflight temperature
indications or ground meteorological sources, adjusted
for instrument error and compressibility effects.

Ahh good timing I've got my xc and a lot of hoodtime down and am looking to start IFR training soon. Just for the lulz I did some ils/loc approaches just from what I could pick up from an approach plate and its like cheating its so easy to find and stay on the glideslope so I'm kinda excited to see what else there is. I like messing with vors so should be fun. I'm debating if I should crash course the written or just start cold turkey with a CFII

A little off topic but hoodtime blows, I don't understand the 40 hours you gotta have. After an hour you've done all the maneuvering and unusual attitude recovery stuff and since all you can do is stare at the instruments your flying is just super precise..

A little off topic but hoodtime blows, I don't understand the 40 hours you gotta have. After an hour you've done all the maneuvering and unusual attitude recovery stuff and since all you can do is stare at the instruments your flying is just super precise..
There's a lot more to instrument flying than turns to a heading and holding altitudes.

There's a lot more to instrument flying than turns to a heading and holding altitudes.
Absolutely but if it only requires 15 hours of training idk why they require the 40 of hood time. Even if you go long on your training and hit 20-25 hours your still boring holes in the sky for 15+ hours just seems like a boring unnecessary expense.

Absolutely but if it only requires 15 hours of training idk why they require the 40 of hood time. Even if you go long on your training and hit 20-25 hours your still boring holes in the sky for 15+ hours just seems like a boring unnecessary expense.

Well, you don't know what you don't know.

Try entering a hold from the "wrong" direction while slowing down, adjusting avionics, copying a clearance and loading the new flight plan, all without a DG or AI. You must maintain altitude to 100 feet and remain in protected airspace.

Except for failed instruments, that's what happens when you arrive at a clearance limit.

20 hours is not "long."

Last edited:
Well, you don't know what you don't know.

Plus you are now learning to apply a major load of new knowledge and practical skills when doing it right. And you need to practice when you apply the correct skill incorrectly.

Like the PPL, many airmen may need more than the minimum time to become a competent and safe IFR pilot. And that's awesome that they do so to gain their own sense of confidence and competence.

I did the written before I started flying. Instrument Rating is a heavy on book knowledge.

Back