Best way to build time?

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I, for instance, recently got checked out in a C152 to fly it for $75/HR wet.

There is another person who lost his medical temporarily and we fly together occasionally in his plane with me being PIC.

Also aside for the occasional FBO trade for work, there isn't really anything much I know of.

Have any ideas? I'm only 17 and finding a job is hard and I feel bad gouging my parents money :rolleyes:

:wineglass: :) :wineglass:Oh & Happy upcoming New Year for everyone here!

Last edited:
Shotgun hours (see safety pilot) with no medical dude in a LSA.

If you can't find a job at 17, you're looking in the wrong places. You're not gonna be working a luxury job or making much though.

Hustle, don't take no for a answer. Apply for not only the job you think you're qualified for, but for the job you want.

Saw a sign this morning outside a sign maker's shop... "Help Wanted: Will Train".

Around here the problem is, there's jobs, but housing is outrageous right now (haven't built enough to correct it yet... probably be a big boom again this summer in building trades... can't think of a construction company that's 'overstaffed' here right now) so folks can't afford to live here once they get one of them.

But that's a common boom/bust thing with DEN. Young folks who've come to town and are doing the multiple-roomate thing will be doing pretty well once the housing thing straightens itself out...

Tell me your secrets.....

Networking

Land the smallest job you can, eventually you'll meet people at bigger places that leads to a better job. For me last summer I started off doing grunt work for a beach chair company. Day started at 6 am which meant being up at 430 for me. Carrying 60 pounds of chairs and umbrellas around on a mile stretch of beach setting them up. Spending the day in the sun renting them out, carrying peoples stuff, etc. At the end of the day (bout 5) all the chairs and umbrellas had to be picked up and lugged back up to where they spent the night.

Eventually through my supervisor I found out about a parasailing place that might be looking for more help and I ended up there. Better pay, better work, and a good company.

Start out at McDonalds if you have to, work retail in your favorite clothes store, work for a landscaping company, work the front desk for a hotel or at the pool, bussing tables leads to serving, if your a gym rat become a personal trainer/teach classes/work the desk, talk to FBOs (even the ones you don't fly with), find a mechanic you can turn wrenches for

I'm a young guy too, and I know working isn't glamorous most of the time and you're gonna have to give up some nights out and weekends but the end product and being busy is worth it to me.

I'm sure you can find a local fast food place to give you a job. Also try to barter with the FBO or flight school. Wash planes for time, sweep the hangar, work in the office, etc.

S

Around here the problem is, there's jobs, but

To continue Nate's thought, I'm 42 years old, about to retire from the Air Force and will begin a second career. I have two degrees, a professional certification, and am prepared to mow lawns or be a trades helper all over again to make ends meet.

I started lawn mowing at 13, moved to the grocery store at 16, became a carpenter helper at 17, worked as a security guard at 18, then sold carpets, tools, and furniture through college. By the time I graduated at 22 I managed a furniture store before going on active duty.

In my area there's a lot of jobs for someone your age that aren't being filled because the owner is waiting for a US citizen to apply.

The opportunities are as close as the business nearest your house.

Networking. If you dig around, there are plenty of business get togethers that will only cost you your free time, yet connect you with various business owners in a variety of industries. This will give you lots of opportunities to find out what is out there and chances to explore if you want to do that.

If you can hustle a good job by doing that, you will have learned a valuable skill at an early age and will rarely be out of work.

And check out the book, 48 Days To The Work You Love, and the accompanying website, www.48days.com

I'm about your age and I've got two jobs! All my friends have jobs too. Working in resturaunts, grocery stores, landscaping, tutoring and many other jobs are all good options for high schoolers. I'd never be able to fly without working. Parents can afford it but I won't fly unless I can pay for some of it myself. Plus flying makes for good motivation to drag myself to work after school.

To continue Nate's thought, I'm 42 years old, about to retire from the Air Force and will begin a second career. I have two degrees, a professional certification, and am prepared to mow lawns or be a trades helper all over again to make ends meet.

I started lawn mowing at 13, moved to the grocery store at 16, became a carpenter helper at 17, worked as a security guard at 18, then sold carpets, tools, and furniture through college. By the time I graduated at 22 I managed a furniture store before going on active duty.

In my area there's a lot of jobs for someone your age that aren't being filled because the owner is waiting for a US citizen to apply.

The opportunities are as close as the business nearest your house.

With your credentials why would you have to settle for that?

Why not work at the FBO? That's what I did when I was your age(actually when I was 15)

My dad got out of the air force after 30 years active and 2 in reserves while he went to college when he was young. He had a masters and a wide array of experience. He worked for Fedex as a delivery driver for a year before moving on to a job more deserving. Point being, a lot of guys getting out of the military do something a little lower than they deserve at first, both to acclimate back to civilian life and having to find a job on their own and the potential move.

Why not work at the FBO? That's what I did when I was your age(actually when I was 15)

:yeahthat:

Washing airplanes, ramper, go-fer, whatever. Spending copious amounts of time at the airport around aviators will land you more flying than anything else.

One of my classmates in 121 training did that when he had 100 hours. Then he met a rich guy that wanted him to fly his L-39 jet! But he needed 1,000 hours to get on the insurance, so the guy bought a C-150 and PAID the kid to fly the C-150 to 1,000 hours, at which point he got checked out in his L-39.

One hot day when density altitude was too much for the 150, the guy went and bought a Turbo Arrow IV so the kid could keep building hours in the high density altitude conditions. Later he sold the IV to him for half the book value ($35K as I recall) and he still has it today.

I wouldn't have believed the story had I not seen his logbook and lots of pics of him in all three airplanes!

Good things happen at airports.

I don't have to, but I'm mentally prepared to. We live near COS, five minutes from a great little GA airport. I'm tired of moving and love the area.

Or here in CO, someone who can pass a drug test. Seriously.

Tons of labor jobs here not being filled because people think because pot is *legal* that employers won't care about it.

Of course the employers can't keep their insurance if they allow someone who can't pee clean drive their front end loaders or trucks.

It's a problem. Creates a pretty nice market for folks who aren't interested in the drugs and want a solid job though.

But like I've said, housing is a total bear here right now. The builders are also hiring if folks can stay off the weed.

I think he was saying he was willing, not that he wouldn't necessarily find something better.

My dad got out of the air force after 30 years active and 2 in reserves while he went to college when he was young. He had a masters and a wide array of experience. He worked for Fedex as a delivery driver for a year before moving on to a job more deserving. Point being, a lot of guys getting out of the military do something a little lower than they deserve at first, both to acclimate back to civilian life and having to find a job on their own and the potential move.

Some larger companies still do tuition reimbursement bennies after some time on the job. Obviously military folk have whatever version of the GI bill(s) but for many folks finding a company with a solid no BS (have to take classes to their liking or pester a boss for another year to actually get it approved beyond the minimum duty time in the HR boilerplate) tuition plan, those can be worth half-again or more of a low starting salary. And very useful if that's someone's goal/end game for those initial non-military jobs.

I don't have to, but I'm mentally prepared to. We live near COS, five minutes from a great little GA airport. I'm tired of moving and love the area.

That's what I thought but didn't know we had another CO member. COS is a pretty nice place. I can see not wanting to leave that area. Think you're far better off down there than in Denver Metro. Try to stay Larkspur or south if you have to job hunt further north. Castle Rock seems to be the full start of the south Denver Metro stupidity and it extends nearly to Fort Collins to the north. ;)

Put a notice on the bulletin board advertising you will clean their airplane for pay. Make money and make contacts. Walk around and talk to pilots on a busy weekend telling them you are looking to fly and do odd jobs.

I, for instance, recently got checked out in a C152 to fly it for $75/HR wet.

There is another person who lost his medical temporarily and we fly together occasionally in his plane with me being PIC.

Also aside for the occasional FBO trade for work, there isn't really anything much I know of.

Have any ideas? I'm only 17 and finding a job is hard and I feel bad gouging my parents money :rolleyes:

:wineglass: :) :wineglass:Oh & Happy upcoming New Year for everyone here!

Oh boy.........

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Tell me your secrets.....

Can't find a job? Not to worry...go MAKE one.

Hustle, don't take no for a answer. Apply for not only the job you think you're qualified for, but for the job you want.

Networking

Land the smallest job you can, eventually you'll meet people at bigger places that leads to a better job. For me last summer I started off doing grunt work for a beach chair company. Day started at 6 am which meant being up at 430 for me. Carrying 60 pounds of chairs and umbrellas around on a mile stretch of beach setting them up. Spending the day in the sun renting them out, carrying peoples stuff, etc. At the end of the day (bout 5) all the chairs and umbrellas had to be picked up and lugged back up to where they spent the night.

Eventually through my supervisor I found out about a parasailing place that might be looking for more help and I ended up there. Better pay, better work, and a good company.

Start out at McDonalds if you have to, work retail in your favorite clothes store, work for a landscaping company, work the front desk for a hotel or at the pool, bussing tables leads to serving, if your a gym rat become a personal trainer/teach classes/work the desk, talk to FBOs (even the ones you don't fly with), find a mechanic you can turn wrenches for

I'm a young guy too, and I know working isn't glamorous most of the time and you're gonna have to give up some nights out and weekends but the end product and being busy is worth it to me.

All good tips here.

If you are driven (and I think you are), be relentless. Trust me...there are TONS of guys out there like me who are yearning for someone to 'work', not draw a paycheck.

I can tell you this...if a young man walks into my shop and were hungry to learn...I'd give him a job tomorrow...$15.00 an hour once he caught on...

I made my job...and 15 others...that's the reason I suggested it for you...it is possible.

Lots of good advice from all. I pestered the local FBO until they hired me. Working for an FBO gives you the chance to fly at a discounted rate and make connections such as the one Jonesy mentioned.

My being around the airport eventually led to flying a Super Viking and a Seneca for their owners.

I was able to build some time rapidly by becoming a tow pilot for my glider club. I fly for "free" and tow the other members up. I first had to get my tailwheel and tow endorsements, which took about 25 hours; and a sign off from the chief instructor for our club. But, it was totally worth it and, boy, do you get a LOT of practice doing takeoffs and landings.

Also, if you learn to fly gliders, you will be a much more confident pilot, and perhaps a better one as well.

There have been people that just start showing up for work. If they can make themselves useful, they eventually got hired.

One of my classmates in 121 training did that when he had 100 hours. Then he met a rich guy that wanted him to fly his L-39 jet! But he needed 1,000 hours to get on the insurance, so the guy bought a C-150 and PAID the kid to fly the C-150 to 1,000 hours, at which point he got checked out in his L-39.

One hot day when density altitude was too much for the 150, the guy went and bought a Turbo Arrow IV so the kid could keep building hours in the high density altitude conditions. Later he sold the IV to him for half the book value ($35K as I recall) and he still has it today.

Is that guy from Missouri? If so, I've met him. If not, he's not the only one to get that hookup.

Since you have to pass the wizz quizz to be a pilot. Go get your commercial drivers license. You will be turning down $15/$20 hour jobs

Back