Best way out of S0-Cal

Nope. And I suspect you won't be moving to California. So I guess both of us will be happy.

I heard that when someone from Alabama moves to California the average IQ in both States goes up...:rolleyes: :D

[must have been a PoA'er that told me that]

Best way out of SoCal? Make a killing on a tech IPO and retire to the islands...although for some of you I'd recommend the same technique as for VFR into IMC - 180 on first encounter, then run away.

Nauga,
and the places he has been...

It's a problem because so few people are able to qualify for $1,000,000 -$2,000,000 mortgages, leaving home ownership and appreciation out of reach.

Not everything is in the stratosphere. I bought a nice little 3-bedroom, 2-bath Cape Cod-style house for about $415K in 2010. Worth about $580K now...a little spendy, but not ridiculous money. South Orange County is a great blend of safe neighborhoods, more affordable home prices, reasonable proximity to the beach (about 7 miles) and hilly terrain....night and day from what most out-of-towners think of as the L.A. area.

Not everything is in the stratosphere. I bought a nice little 3-bedroom, 2-bath Cape Cod-style house for about $415K in 2010. Worth about $580K now...a little spendy, but not ridiculous money. South Orange County is a great blend of safe neighborhoods, more affordable home prices, reasonable proximity to the beach (about 7 miles) and hilly terrain....night and day from what most out-of-towners think of as the L.A. area.
WE bought our home for $87.2 now tax assessor thinks it is worth $375k.

• How's that clean energy going? Adding alcohol,to gas lowers fuel economy, and growing corn for alcohol requires more fuel for the farmers than it saves after adding to the gasoline. The solar companies are going broke, even with free government money they don't need to pay back. Nobody wants wind farms near where they live, work or play . . . But isn't clean energy great? By the way, didn't you shut down all of your nuclear power plants?
When we lived in San Jose we bought a new 1986 Dodge van. The salesman's parting words before we drove it off the lot were, "Don't put Ethanol in it." A year or so later California mandated "Oxygenated" gasoline. Oxygenated? Read - Ethanol. And you couldn't avoid it. I found out why the salesman said to not use it - it ate the seals out of the carburetor and I had raw gasoline pouring over the top of the engine block. Guess who paid to have the carb rebuilt with seals that could tolerate the stuff? No, it wasn't the state of California.

The solution is very simple. Don't live in Palo Alto or San Francisco. There are cheaper houses in many places, even in the middle of Silicon Valley.

If no one could qualify, that would be self regulating....

According to Zillow.com, the house we sold in San Jose in 1995 for $350,000 is now worth about $1.5M. Would I pay that much? No way, I know that house. And the taxes would be something in the neighborhood of $18,000 to $19,000 a year. Ouch!

Tom, let us know how it goes. I want to make that trip this year, probably later in spring/summer.

According to Zillow.com, the house we sold in San Jose in 1995 for $350,000 is now worth about $1.5M. Would I pay that much? No way, I know that house. And the taxes would be something in the neighborhood of $18,000 to $19,000 a year. Ouch!

Do have to take Zillow with a grain of salt. It's always been a tad optimistic on anything I knew the real value of. It's currently listing my house $100,000 or more over what things actually sell for out here. NFW.

Do have to take Zillow with a grain of salt. It's always been a tad optimistic on anything I knew the real value of. It's currently listing my house $100,000 or more over what things actually sell for out here. NFW.

No argument there. But, it makes for a number that you can use. As I said, I wouldn't pay $1.5M for that house in San Jose. No way, no how. I sure wouldn't make an offer based on Zillow without working with a realtor, that's for certain.

When we lived in San Jose we bought a new 1986 Dodge van. The salesman's parting words before we drove it off the lot were, "Don't put Ethanol in it." A year or so later California mandated "Oxygenated" gasoline. Oxygenated? Read - Ethanol. And you couldn't avoid it. I found out why the salesman said to not use it - it ate the seals out of the carburetor and I had raw gasoline pouring over the top of the engine block. Guess who paid to have the carb rebuilt with seals that could tolerate the stuff? No, it wasn't the state of California.

Umm, oxygenation in 1987 was with MTBE. E10 came a decade or so later. And your Dodge carburetor leaked because it was a POS. Fuel injection was almost universal in California in 1987, as OBD-I became mandatory in 1986.

If you had held onto that house, it would have been a nice investment, right? Houses are not consumables.

If you don't want to live here, stay away. Makes it nicer for the rest of us. Just don't make up BS.

Umm, oxygenation in 1987 was with MTBE. E10 came a decade or so later. And your Dodge carburetor leaked because it was a POS. Fuel injection was almost universal in California in 1987, as OBD-I became mandatory in 1986.

You mean the MTBE we have to get out of the soil around gas stations nationwide? Thanks California.

The splitting lanes thing is not that big a deal...freeway lanes are pretty generous in width, and I never feel the need to crowd over to one side to let a biker through. Just becomes normal after a while. And, hey, if a biker goes down because of his own Darwin Award mentality (splitting lanes at stupid-fast speeds), well, that's more donor organs for people in need of transplants (provided those kidneys or whatever are still in usable condition). Driving in SoCal for 38 years, I've never had a motorcycle make contact with my car.

Splitting works just fine, I lane split in traffic every time I visit California. Most drivers expect it, and it's not hard to deal with the occasional person who tries to block your path. I wish other states would adopt splitting.

I flew out of San Diego on Friday, 27 January. I was astonished at the green! It was lovely.
Yeah, I went down to Gillespie Field last week for bacon/eggs, the back way by Mt. Palomar and over El Capitan and Loveland reservoirs. Beautiful, and a nice change!!!

Reservoirs were filled with this curious water substance. :D

Reservoirs were filled with this curious water substance. :D

I understand your confusion. Last fall, after going 60+ days with no rain, the ponds, lakes and reservoirs here had curious, wide brown rings around the edges where water used to be . . . And here, you can't throw a stick without bouncing off of two or three little ponds. At least everything was still green, the parts that weren't burning.

If you had held onto that house, it would have been a nice investment, right? Houses are not consumables.

If you don't want to live here, stay away. Makes it nicer for the rest of us. Just don't make up BS.

This 4th generation native Californian was very glad to escape in 1995. I'm not moving back. Too many people, too many fools in Sacramento running the place. I'll visit, but there's no problem with your suggestion. I won't move back. Heck, we've got enough loonies trying to ruin the state of Washington.

What does fuel injection in 1987 have to do with the carb in a 1986 model vehicle? Nice try. Bye bye.

I'm not going back either, first you were in a drouth, then ya get come rain, now your crying about the broken dam.

More people coming into the state than leaving. Love where I live, but it certainly isn't the sleepy beach community it was back in the 90's. That said, my wife and I aren't moving, mostly because we'd never be able to buy our house at today's prices.

My, such CA bashing recently. Saw girls in bikini's playing beach volleyball on Sunday. After playing in the snow in the mountains with my son on Saturday.
Jerry Brown and the Dem's would tax that if they could . . .

WE bought our home for $87.2 now tax assessor thinks it is worth $375k.

That don't sound right. How long ago did you buy it? Have you done additions or any other major remodels?

EDIT: oops. I was thinking you were talking about a house in California

Last edited:
That don't sound right. How long ago did you buy it? Have you done additions or any other major remodels?

EDIT: oops. I was thinking you were talking about a house in California
1969 we bought a house in Thousand Oaks CA, for 15.5K sold it 6 months later for 22,750 broke even. 1987 we had this house built at 87.5k now my tax man set the taxes at 375k.

I guess the best way out of So-Cal today is by boat.

Secession for CA now! Cut the rest of the loonies off!

1969 we bought a house in Thousand Oaks CA, for 15.5K sold it 6 months later for 22,750 broke even. 1987 we had this house built at 87.5k now my tax man set the taxes at 375k.
Then, your "tax man" is incompetent. Property tax assessments outside the context of a sale or owner request have been limited to 2% annual increase since 1978.

Then, your "tax man" is incompetent. Property tax assessments outside the context of a sale or owner request have been limited to 2% annual increase since 1978.
I'm happy to know you are the expert on WA. tax laws. Would you please come up and tell the assessor he's f-ed in the head.

Does anyone else keep reading the title as "Best way out of 50 Cal", and thinking... just shoot it all, if you're trying to be out of 50 Cal! LOL.

Back