Best value in the market - Cessna 172 1956 thru 1959?

That is fine! But go into it knowing that there are some issues that there is have a potential of being a major issue. A friend is going through this right now with his run out 1964 C-172. Triad quoted him $30K for a rebuild which to me is a 'we don't want to do it but if you are stupid enough to pay that much, then OK'. Except for cylinders, it is an obsolete engine.
How can it be an Obsolete engine when it is so well supported with after market parts and services?

Last month I mentored two student pilots thru the process of buying a 1966 C-172 for $26.5k, 4500+- AFTT, 810 on the lower end, 11 on new cylinders, 1 KX125 two other old radios. nice interior, polished exterior, that spent all of its life in Reno in a hangar. only problem so far is a failed gyro.

I've had my '63 C172 for 13 years and flown a thousand hours in it. I've had carb ice once and that was flying in a drizzle so plenty of moisture. I do fly it all seasons of the year in New Hampshire. I do like the engine. Very few problems with it.

I've had my '63 C172 for 13 years and flown a thousand hours in it. I've had carb ice once and that was flying in a drizzle so plenty of moisture. I do fly it all seasons of the year in New Hampshire. I do like the engine. Very few problems with it.
Many folks confuse the 0-300 with the 0-200, 047,0520. that have remote mounted carb, and make ice like crazy.

How can it be an Obsolete engine when it is so well supported with after market parts and services?

You are right, I am wrong! You are the AP, I am not. My friend should go see you because he is having a heck of a time finding someone to overhaul his O-300.

Last edited:
You are right, I am wrong! You are the AP, I am not. My friend should go see you because he is having a heck of a time finding someone to overhaul his O-300.
call 1-800-204-0735 they will take care of you.

That doesn't prevent carb ice. They have a higher incidence.

Maybe, but it's the Continentals smaller than the O-300 that don't have the carb mounted on the sump and can get frequent and rapid icing. That's where the Cont-vs.-Lyc carb ice tales come from.

Maybe, but it's the Continentals smaller than the O-300 that don't have the carb mounted on the sump and can get frequent and rapid icing. That's where the Cont-vs.-Lyc carb ice tales come from.

Every person I know with a C172 and the 0-300 has had carb icing. That actually is their first comment. Great plane but watch out for carb ice

How many of you in the thread have had carb ice in theirs?

Every person I know with a C172 and the 0-300 has had carb icing. That actually is their first comment. Great plane but watch out for carb ice

How many of you in the thread have had carb ice in theirs?
How many carb'ed aircraft hasn't had carb ice?

Depends where you fly I guess. I've never had carb ice. I'm sure one day I will.

Your opinion is very debatable as to which engine has a greater incidence of carb ice, both use the same carb, (make and model - MA3-SPA) airbox nearly exactly the same. air filters are the same position.
IMHO If you were in the 172 lycoming 0-320 flying side by side with a 172 TCM 0-300 you'd both get ice at the same time in the same amount. The 0-300 can't make ice any faster than the 0-320. it needs the same conditions as the 0-320.
The big difference is in the ability to get it thawed out. the 0-320 has but one pipe used as a heater for the carb air, as the 0-300 uses the whole right side (all 3 cylinders) to provide heat for the carb.

Depends where you fly I guess. I've never had carb ice. I'm sure one day I will.
We in the Pacific North West deal with it on a daily bases year around.

The remote mounted carbs that do not enjoy the induced heat of the oil sump are the 0-200, 0-470, 0-520 the 0-300 has the carb mounted directly on the bottom of the sump

We in the Pacific North West deal with it on a daily bases year around.

Yes. Moisture in the air combined with air temp and atomization of fuel. Same principal as an aerosol can getting cold when you spray it

Had a '57 172 for 11 years and never had carb ice but I live in Florida. Six cylinder Continentals run better if you fly them a lot. I had stuck valve problems when I couldn't fly for extended times so I started using Marvel Mystery Oil and the sticking went away.

Corrosion would be my #1 concern. Above the headliner, carry thru spars, wing spar laminations, landing gears, control cables, wing attach bolts, brakes, wood blocks in the fuel tank bays, the list hoes on & on.

Almost anything with rubber in should have been or will need to be replaced.

Call this guy: Gann Aviation, Carlus Gann is the go to guy for an O-300 overhaul in these parts. (706) 638-7921

Back