Best Use of a Foreflight Gift Certificate?

flyerfocus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyerfocus
From the Department if Good Problems to Have, my girlfriend just bought me a $300 foreflight gift certificate for Christmas. I’m commercial starting to work towards my CFI and currently rebuilding my profiency after taking a hiatus to pay for my kids’ college. What the best use of the $300 gift cert? Get the $99 subscription which does all I need for now then save the rest towards a higher subscription after I get my CFI are my initial thoughts. Is there anything the higher level subscriptions have that I really need right now?

Recently doing the same shopping decision about Foreflight (unfortunately, without the gift certificate!) Personal opinion only, the only significant difference I care about is the ProPlus package has geo-referenced charts, whereas the Basic does not. Whether that is something you need or want right now is, of course, up to you. For me, none of the other bells and whistles add much to what I use, even as a working commercial pilot (part 91 corporate), I just don't have use/need for the extra features, even of the top-tier Performance Plus package, but again, that's strictly personal, lots of other pilots may chime in with different views.

I like the “Terrain Profile View with Airspace” and “Cloud Documents” features from pro, and from perf plus I use “Detailed Aircraft Performance Profiles”and “Trip Assistant with Fuel Stop Planning”. “Pre-Departure Clearance & D-ATIS” is nice, but I’ve only flown from a big enough airport to benefit from it once, so not worth it for that. Honestly i probably should drop to the pro version, it it’s such a small cost compared to other aviation things I splurge on it.

I use cloud docs to easily organize my AROW documents so I don’t need to carry any paper in the plane.

First things first. Get that girl something good. She sounds like a winner. Then deal with your foreflight conundrum.

Is there an expiration/use by date that you need to keep in mind?

I believe CFI's get a substantial discount when purchasing ForeFlight...you might want to check it out.

I believe CFI's get a substantial discount when purchasing ForeFlight...you might want to check it out.

They do, if they are a member of SAFE or the other organization. 33% off, the membership pays for itself in anything above the basic FF subscription.

I’d get the pro plus at minimum

The georef plates and logbook and worth their weight in gold.

When you start doing a lot of flying you just hit the record button when you start, again when you stop, and it fills most of the log out for you, also includes your GPS track which you can do all sorts of stuff with, tracks currency, and makes it easier to send endorsements and sign students logs if they have ForeFlight too, though I think the “instructor tools” come with all the versions

Back