Best Tug

Bob A.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob A.
i purcahsed a Best Tug at Airadventure. It is the A3 tug. I have had it over 2 months. Unfortunately, I have not been able to correctly connect the tug to my Piper tow plate. I have a PA29-161. My mechanic tells me this is a typical Piper tow plate. The adapter sent by Best Tug is called a slot adapter. It does fit over the tips of my tow plated but does not fully engage the tow plate. I cannot control the direction of the front wheel. I have gone back to Best Tug several times trying to correct the problem without success. I suspect I need a different adapter, but have been unable to get Best Tug to correct the problem. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

If the makers of the tug won't help you, I would bad mouth them everywhere I could, and threaten to send it back. As much as those things cost, it's unreasonable to me that they won't stand behind their product. It would be cheaper to buy an old riding mower, ditch the deck, and fab up a tow bar.

have you called them ? Im on my 2nd best tug (b5 and b8) and they have been exemplary - before, during and after the sale. No complaints from me whatsoever. And most people would say the same about best tugs and the pateys.

That is really sad to hear. I did buy something (not an airplane tug) put a hitch on it but it was not powerful enough to move my airplane us a 2.5% grade. Therefore those I talked to recommended Best Tug. I came with what I feel are incorrect adapters, missing screws, and connecting arm that did not work. They did sent me a new connecting arm which did fit. The screws that sent were too large. I just emailed them again today. Hopefully I can get some resolution. It was a very expensive tug. Thanks for the information.

have you called them ? Im on my 2nd best tug (b5 and b8) and they have been exemplary - before, during and after the sale. No complaints from me whatsoever. And most people would say the same about best tugs and the pateys.
Anthem:

Thank you. I still have hope. I have been emailing and working with David. Seems like a long time to get thinigs straightened out. I have a typical Piper tow plated. I cannot believe I am the only one who has odered a Best Tug that has a Piper airplane. Thanks for the advice to call. I will after I see what my email brings.

If anyone has a Piper Airplane and a Best Tug that works, please let me know what I need to do. I feel the adapter is incorrect. The adapter, the part that fits over the ends of the tow plate bar do not seem long enough so they do not fully engage the tow plate. There is about 1/2 inch betwee the adapter and fully engaging the tow plate. The adapter has a wide slot that allows the adapter to move horizontally more than 45
%. Appreciate any help

I own a Best Tug and know others who have them also. Our experiences have been nothing but good with them. So, I'm sorry you're having such a basic problem with both the tug and the support, but I have confidence they will do right by you in the end.

If you haven't already, I'll suggest that a picture is worth a thousand words. I cannot really understand the problem you're having just from reading the text, so maybe sharing a couple photos would help.

I have a A3 that I use for a 172 for 5 years now, it's been great as I fly almost everyday. So I use it a lot.
My buddy had a cheerokee and now an arrow II. Years ago I looked into using it on his cheerokee and if I remember right there was something that bolted on so it attached like my cessna?
I have talked to them after the sale and the support has been 1st class.
Did you send them pictures of your tow plate so you are both on the same page?
Can you post a picture here so we know what you're working with?

I looked up the slot adapator and can see how it attaches. Maybe your arms need some adjustment to be clamped on tighter?
Maybe I am wrong about something bolting on?
I didn't per sure it when my buddy wasn't very interested then.
Since then he bought a used powertow40 for his arrow. That is very crude compared to the A3 but cost a whole lot less.
His PT has been a hassle for him. First we had trouble starting it after sitting for couple months. Then his belt came off, he asked me to look at it. The spring also came off. I put it back togeather for him last week. We just took his arrow to the prop shop and it will be there for 6 weeks so his powertow will sit around for another couple months.
My buddy's PT attaches to the wheel axle, it is kind of awkward as it pops out sometimes. I would think BT would have the best solution? I have never e mailed them, always called.
IMG_2633_gPL9iRra2BCgWURv8zvPCg.JPG

Last edited:
I own a Best Tug and know others who have them also. Our experiences have been nothing but good with them. So, I'm sorry you're having such a basic problem with both the tug and the support, but I have confidence they will do right by you in the end.

If you haven't already, I'll suggest that a picture is worth a thousand words. I cannot really understand the problem you're having just from reading the text, so maybe sharing a couple photos would help.
1697203146006.png
shows about straight. still gap between the adapters and tow plate attachment
1697203251272.png
trying to turn front wheel with tug. only rotates on adapters.

Is there something stopping it from clamping tighter? Do the tabs not have clearance to go all the way in? Otherwise, if you extend the adjustment on the right one or two more stops and snug things up then the turning force should be on the block instead of the tabs.

here are a couple more pictures.

1697203498024.png
this shows slot adapter send and I have tried to explain to Best tug I do not think it is the correct adapter. Easily swivels, does not fully engage the tow plate. Cannot turn nose wheel with this. You can see an adapter in my hand I borrowed from another Piper owner with a different brand of tug.

1697203689557.png

The two adapters. My slot adapter has too large a slot and it does not fully engage my tow bar. The smaller adapter (the one I borrowed) seems to be more appropriate. If fits must better but it is just a little short (even with the expansion fitting on the control arms fully extended). I think if I had a longer round adapter I would be able to control the nose wheel. I have emailed Best Tug. I have made specific requests. I will seen what they can do. I did find by doing a web page search (not from there web site) they have a Piper adapter.

If anyone has a Piper airplane and Best Tug A2 or A3 they can let me know if I am on the right track. Over two months to get a functional tug seems like a long time. Thanks for your comments/help.

Is there something stopping it from clamping tighter? Do the tabs not have clearance to go all the way in? Otherwise, if you extend the adjustment on the right one or two more stops and snug things up then the turning force should be on the block instead of the tabs.
I have extended the control arms as far as possible. Your are correct the slot adapter does not fully engage the tow plate or the mounting block for the tow plate. The Piper tow plate is 1/8 inch by 1/2 inch and one inch long (from mounting block to tip of tow plate. This adapter is 1/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch wide. Only 3/4 inch depth. I still feel this is the wrong adapter. Thanks for the remarks.

Have your mechanic weld up something like this and then use the standard Cessna adapters. A lot more secure and the FBOs appreciate it as well.

View attachment 121381
Thanks. I guess that is an option. I have three Piper tow bars, one custom made. Would hate to get all new ones. But this looks like it works. Thank you for the help.

I looked up the slot adapator and can see how it attaches. Maybe your arms need some adjustment to be clamped on tighter?
Since then he bought a used powertow40 for his arrow. That is very crude compared to the A3 but cost a whole lot less.
His PT has been a hassle for him. First we had trouble starting it after sitting for couple months. Then his belt came off, he asked me to look at it. The spring also came off. I put it back togeather for him last week. We just took his arrow to the prop shop and it will be there for 6 weeks so his powertow will sit around for another couple months.
My buddy's PT attaches to the wheel axle, it is kind of awkward as it pops out sometimes. I would think BT would have the best solution? I have never e mailed them, always called.
Thanks, I emailed again yesterday. They indicated they would send me what I requested (not what they offered). Such as the Piper adapter I found. Next I will call. I did want to have documentation of my correspondence. therefore the emails. I am concerned I am well past the 30 day return time-frame. I am hopeful the problem will be resolved. I cannot believe I am the only Piper owner that has a Best Tug. Thanks for your picture and comments. I am just a little frustrated. My wife's comments do not help. So I need to get this corrected or she will never stop reminding me.

I'm a bit surprised that the attachment adapter doesn't use the bolt holes in the Piper tow plate rather than surrounding the bracket itself.
I was also. Or maybe something that slides over the ends of the tow plate that also engages the holes in the tow plate. But the adapter my friend has that fits over the side arms on the Piper tow plate seem to work well for him. However he is able to close the arms closer together than I am.

I’d send an email with photos, if it doesn’t work tell them you are disappointed and want a refund if they cannot fix it. Also you should only spend so much time troubleshooting this, it’s up to the company to make right.

I cannot believe I am the only Piper owner that has a Best Tug.
You aren't. I'm sure they are sending you the parts that have worked for hundreds of other piper owners. What did they say when you send the pictures?

First, your aircraft is a Warrior II, PA-28-161.
I would think Best would have an adapter which uses the holes Piper provided exactly for the purpose and into which the OEM towbar fits.

I was also. Or maybe something that slides over the ends of the tow plate that also engages the holes in the tow plate. But the adapter my friend has that fits over the side arms on the Piper tow plate seem to work well for him. However he is able to close the arms closer together than I am.
Agreed. I would think it should look just like the current adapter you have (with tighter fitting nylon slot) and a simple drop-through pin to secure through the holes.

Is your tow plate the actual Piper supplied plate or a shop fab'ed one? I'm wondering if the original could have been replaced and not matching original dimensions.

I think sending them a video of you towing the plane and attempting to turn would be pretty self-explanatory.

Thanks, I emailed again yesterday. They indicated they would send me what I requested (not what they offered). Such as the Piper adapter I found. Next I will call. I did want to have documentation of my correspondence. therefore the emails. I am concerned I am well past the 30 day return time-frame. I am hopeful the problem will be resolved. I cannot believe I am the only Piper owner that has a Best Tug. Thanks for your picture and comments. I am just a little frustrated. My wife's comments do not help. So I need to get this corrected or she will never stop reminding me.
Thanks for the pictures. Yes I feel something is not rigged right. The arms don't look parallel and the adaptors look to be too far out. But I am not sure ?

It looks like the piper bracket is more narrow than the cessna making it harder to turn?

My arms appear to be closer together and more parallel. My adaptors are not screwed out as far as yours.
I do remember someone at BT mentioning a bolt on like shown above so I didn't have to change adaptors going from cessna to piper.

Years ago I had surgery to my neck and doc said no strenuous activity's for 6 months. I was back flying with in a week with my wife's help to pull and push the plane back into the hangar. After about 5 flights she was on board with buying a tug. I wanted something I didn't have to bend over or knee down to attach. Dang glad I went with BT even though it was a lot of money. Years later it has been worth it and not so much money now it seems.

Keep the faith you will get yours squared away and your wife will think it was a great buy. My wife loves ours and uses it sometimes to move the plane herself.

IMG_3264_t1BJLFEXi1ktp8K7QPwRmR.JPG

I can push pull mine into the grass on a dry day.

Best picture I have of the arms when clamped on, yours look out of wack and I can see why it won't turn for you.
Also mine came with the switch on and dead battery's right out of the crate. They sent me 2 new battery's overnight air. They have been good for over 4 years now.
So I leave my headlite on all the time, that way it acts as a pilot light and makes it harder to forget to turn off the tug especially at night when I am closing up the hangar.
IMG_7496.JPG

I really didn't want to know what was inside the first day I got it. They were great and very sorry about it. They said at the time they were working on a auto shut off to prevent dead ruined battery's. Does the new ones have the auto shut off?
(edited)%20IMG_7472.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Bob, My name is Ranch and I am with BestTugs. I saw the thread and wanted to make sure we had your dilemma resolved.

The Piper tow plate is a challenging one as the nose wheel is relatively heavy, the plate is extremely narrow (providing very little leverage against the resistance of the contact patch of the tire and the weight being applied to it), the plates of the piper are small and the arms of the tug must be fairly long for clearance. This creates a stacked tolerance component (the long arms amplify any tolerance in the arm connection at both the tug end and the nose wheel end) the short bars of the nose gear are unforgiving (because they are small it take little movement to allow the connection to fail) and because the connection point on the Piper is narrow the force to turn is great. For these and other reasons it can be challenging. We cant agree more and wish we could make obvious changes to the connection but the FAA as we know can also be challenging and expensive to move ;). We are looking into STC but that may not be a possibility.

Tokirbymd showed a plate that he had made which provides a better connection and is wider and more secure. It is a good idea

In our email conversations we have stated that we would make a similar plate and build it narrow enough to clear the wheel pant. That part was put on my desk on Wed of this week. I advised that we needed to do some clean up to it and then send it out. It is made of stainless steel and should work well and look great. The reason we don't simply provide this is that it is bolted on and must be remove before flight for compliance. It does not replace the plate on the plane but rather goes over it.

With respect to missing some communications... I have discussed with support and gone through the emails sent and I don't see any missed communications. If though you want to give me a call I will be happy to work with you along with David who you have been working with and has been walking this custom built piece through. Give us a call, ask for me when one of our team answers.

I hope in this response to not open up a discussion on empirical solutions but rather update you as to where we are at with ours and provide you with a means of contact. We don't love the limitations of the design on the Piper plate nor the encumbering challenges of legalities in solutions... but we do respect them and are working toward making it better within those parameters.

I hope to talk to you soon.

Hi Bob, My name is Ranch and I am with BestTugs. I saw the thread and wanted to make sure we had your dilemma resolved.

The Piper tow plate is a challenging one as the nose wheel is relatively heavy, the plate is extremely narrow (providing very little leverage against the resistance of the contact patch of the tire and the weight being applied to it), the plates of the piper are small and the arms of the tug must be fairly long for clearance. This creates a stacked tolerance component (the long arms amplify any tolerance in the arm connection at both the tug end and the nose wheel end) the short bars of the nose gear are unforgiving (because they are small it take little movement to allow the connection to fail) and because the connection point on the Piper is narrow the force to turn is great. For these and other reasons it can be challenging. We cant agree more and wish we could make obvious changes to the connection but the FAA as we know can also be challenging and expensive to move ;). We are looking into STC but that may not be a possibility.

Tokirbymd showed a plate that he had made which provides a better connection and is wider and more secure. It is a good idea

In our email conversations we have stated that we would make a similar plate and build it narrow enough to clear the wheel pant. That part was put on my desk on Wed of this week. I advised that we needed to do some clean up to it and then send it out. It is made of stainless steel and should work well and look great. The reason we don't simply provide this is that it is bolted on and must be remove before flight for compliance. It does not replace the plate on the plane but rather goes over it.

With respect to missing some communications... I have discussed with support and gone through the emails sent and I don't see any missed communications. If though you want to give me a call I will be happy to work with you along with David who you have been working with and has been walking this custom built piece through. Give us a call, ask for me when one of our team answers.

I hope in this response to not open up a discussion on empirical solutions but rather update you as to where we are at with ours and provide you with a means of contact. We don't love the limitations of the design on the Piper plate nor the encumbering challenges of legalities in solutions... but we do respect them and are working toward making it better within those parameters.

Wow, what great advertising for your brand. Honest about the challenges and trying creative ways to solve the problem. When my Aerotow eventually bites the dust, I hope you're still with Best Tugs ;-)

Excellent response. Goes a long way for those of us following along. I'm sure you guys will get it sorted out.

It's a great response and I hope it solves OP's problems.

However...

To my eye, those slot adapters are surprisingly jank for a $3k tug. I'd have hoped for something cleverer, perhaps that engaged both the ears AND the piper OEM hole in a (more) secure fashion?

Original sin is piper's though for that design. :)

Last edited:
I don't have a Best Tug, but I do have the same Piper tow connection on my plane. It goes over the existing steel bar, like how the Best Tug pictures show. It uses a steel tube that is pinched down to a shape that fits over the bar. This allows a bit more penetration by the bar and results in a very secure connection. I don't have a picture, but if I have a chance to get to my hangar in the next couple days, I'll share it on this thread. It's a cross between the connectors shown in Post #15. Suspect it would be a good solution for the OP and other Piper owners.

You aren't. I'm sure they are sending you the parts that have worked for hundreds of other piper owners. What did they say when you send the pictures?
Only that they needed to fabricate an adapter which they were going to have to have specially made. Even when i sent pictures and told them what I thought was the problem they persisted this direction. I asked for names/telephone numbers of other Piper owners, but got no response to that request. Just saw Ranch's post. It seems there is a solution but I have not been presented yet. I was hoping that other Piper owners with this type of tug have already figured out what needs to be done and could advise me. I am sure someone have a simple solution. Thanks for the information. Again if someone has a Best Tug, A2 or A3 and Piper airplane that is working well, please let me know. I am not trying to upset anyone or Best Tug folks. I just need a solution.

Only that they needed to fabricate an adapter which they were going to have to have specially made. Even when i sent pictures and told them what I thought was the problem they persisted this direction. I asked for names/telephone numbers of other Piper owners, but got no response to that request. Just saw Ranch's post. It seems there is a solution but I have not been presented yet. I was hoping that other Piper owners with this type of tug have already figured out what needs to be done and could advise me. I am sure someone have a simple solution. Thanks for the information. Again if someone has a Best Tug, A2 or A3 and Piper airplane that is working well, please let me know. I am not trying to upset anyone or Best Tug folks. I just need a solution.
I had the A3 on my heavier pa32 six with the above noted modifications. Worked fantastic and hated to give it up when I went to a Seneca. But sold the best tugs to my friend who also has a Cherokee six and has the factory tow adapter as you have. He ordered the piper adapters for the tug and has also been very satisfied. I wonder if you have tried to adjust the distance between the taps via the rotating part to adjust the tension when the lever is pushed forward. Also, my modified part I posted is “bolted “ on and technically removable by the owner so can be owner produced part and shouldn’t need any substantial A&P efforts. The A3 is the best tug out there for the fixed gear crowd IMO and I only wish they had something similar for my Seneca.

I had the A3 on my heavier pa32 six with the above noted modifications. Worked fantastic and hated to give it up when I went to a Seneca. But sold the best tugs to my friend who also has a Cherokee six and has the factory tow adapter as you have. He ordered the piper adapters for the tug and has also been very satisfied. I wonder if you have tried to adjust the distance between the taps via the rotating part to adjust the tension when the lever is pushed forward. Also, my modified part I posted is “bolted “ on and technically removable by the owner so can be owner produced part and shouldn’t need any substantial A&P efforts. The A3 is the best tug out there for the fixed gear crowd IMO and I only wish they had something similar for my Seneca.
Thank your for the information. I have extended the distant "between the taps" all the way. I suspect if you received the Piper adapter and this works, then that is what I need to do/have. I have requested such from Best Tug and they indicated they would be sending this adapter. Thank you for response. Since this adapter worked for you it should work for me. I think we are heading in the right direction.

Back