best tools mfg?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Best tool manufacturer? Dewalt? Stanley? Black and Decker?

maybe it just doesn't matter? I knew there have been mergers, buyouts, etc for quite some time, but didn't realize the extent of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 8.32.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 8.32.36 AM.png
    387 KB · Views: 8
maybe it just doesn't matter?
Highly subjective question. Plus need to define "tools" as some mfg'rs don't do well across all types. But in some cases it does matter on the quality of the tool like torque wrenches.

While it's interesting to see the relationship map, I wouldn't put too much stock into the information one way or the other. I happen to work for a company majority-owned by KKR, but we don't share much with their other investments, especially from an operational/quality standpoint. So while SBD may own Craftsman tools, it's unlikely that it has much affect on the products/quality of MAC Tools. The two companies likely share no common employees or even attend the same meetings.

I generally buy my tools based off of what I already have, and what I perceive the company excels in. If I need a solid power tool, DeWalt or Ridgid are generally my go-to as I've had good luck with several of their products. However, I don't go out of my way to buy DeWalt hand tools/drill bits. I use Craftsman and Kobalt mechanics tools because they have held up well to my shadetree mechanic/weekend project abuse, where cheaper Stanley models have sometimes been problematic. I will switch brands for different tool segments, so I don't think any one brand (or parent company) holds an advantage that all of their products are equal in quality/value.

I guess I should have clarified - I really am not shopping for tools, or "best brand" ... just amazed at the consolidation and mergers that have gone on in this industry. Probably no worse than other industries, I'll bet.

I didn’t realize anyone besides Harbor freight made tools... huh

Back