Best to avoid flying "GA" to Italy

To all you CA bashers: I have an idea. Let us secede. We'll be the country of California, and you can keep the rest of the union. OK?

Just don't come begging later. Considering that our entire state budget shortfall is more than twice-over covered by the amount (or gap) of extra taxes we pay the federal government as opposed to the amount we receive back, meaning that we subsidize most of you, since for most states the case is the reverse... I would expect a little more respect of us CA tax-payers. WE pay for YOUR government programs. From OUR perspective, eliminating all of them would be a boon to our state: we'd have all the money in the world to pay for them here, where we actually want them, while you'll have to go figure out how to scratch together billions of dollars we won't be giving you for the things you hate anyway, like medical coverage (medicare anyone? we pay for yours, you know).

CA, if allowed to stand by itself, would be the world's eighth largest economy, and as big as France. NY might want to do the same - it's a sizable economy (although only about half of CA's) and contributes way more to the nation than it gets back, again more than covering their budget shortfalls. TX is big (~60% of CA) but about breaks even, so who cares. Any other state is not even worth mentioning size-wise, and there are very few left that are not beggars that get donations from us crazy Californians. We're mostly crazy for agreeing to this equation.

To all you CA bashers: I have an idea. Let us secede. We'll be the country of California, and you can keep the rest of the union. OK?

Just don't come begging later. ...

knock yourself out...I wonder where your water will come from?

knock yourself out...I wonder where your water will come from?

When the rest of the country becomes energy independent California can convert oil tankers to water tankers and haul it in from exotic locations. :goofy:

Back to the original point. I hope this doesn't price a friend in Italy out of his plane before September. I've got meetings in Rome and he's offered to take me flying while I'm there. I'm building up a list of friends in Europe who will need to go sightseeing in God's Country some time. :D

Italy charges a $2,000++ luxury tax (my plane is about $3,500) for being overnight on their soil for 2 nights, but California is the f'ed up place to fly?

:confused:

Considering that our entire state budget shortfall is more than twice-over covered by the amount (or gap) of extra taxes we pay the federal government as opposed to the amount we receive back, meaning that we subsidize most of you, since for most states the case is the reverse... I would expect a little more respect of us CA tax-payers. WE pay for YOUR government programs. From OUR perspective, eliminating all of them would be a boon to our state: we'd have all the money in the world to pay for them here, where we actually want them, while you'll have to go figure out how to scratch together billions of dollars we won't be giving you for the things you hate anyway, like medical coverage (medicare anyone? we pay for yours, you know).

You know, if you'd stop sending Pullozi and others to Washington who vote for higher Federal taxes, we might take this complaint seriously. ;)

Sorry... I know this is real close to Spin Zone material, but it had to be said.

If Californians are so distressed they're paying too much in Federal taxes: Stop electing people to Congress who feel that growing the Federal government is their primary political mission in life.

ROFL. Boy did I get a good laugh out of the irony. Thanks for the humor tonight! Appreciated!

It's fascinating to see how different parts of the country rationalize deficit spending. 'Cause in the end that's all we're doing. Spending on credit like teenagers with a credit card, and hoping someday we'll make some money again.

California: "We think we pay for too much... of what our Representatives voted for!" ;) ;) ;)

That's 100% classic right there. Pure political comedy gold. Right up there with Warren Buffett saying he wants to pay more in taxes, so no one from Detroit makes a side-trip to Omaha and shoots him dead. (The modern equivalent of pitchforks at the gate, I suppose.)

So really...

They're YOUR government programs that you're paying for... sorry you voted in folks who signed y'all up for that.

:) :) :) Fun stuff.

P.S. How many people on PoA have ever considered flying their aircraft to Italy? (Trying to be on-topic.)

Fat-ta chance-a in-a hell-a for me and my 182. Insurance won't cover it anyway. Haha.

Ciao. ;)

P.S. How many people on PoA have ever considered flying their aircraft to Italy? (Trying to be on-topic.)

Fat-ta chance-a in-a hell-a for me and my 182. Insurance won't cover it anyway. Haha.

Ciao. ;)

No, but you could do France with no problem!

You know, if you'd stop sending Pullozi and others to Washington who vote for higher Federal taxes, we might take this complaint seriously. ;)

Sorry... I know this is real close to Spin Zone material, but it had to be said.

If Californians are so distressed they're paying too much in Federal taxes: Stop electing people to Congress who feel that growing the Federal government is their primary political mission in life.

ROFL. Boy did I get a good laugh out of the irony. Thanks for the humor tonight! Appreciated!

It's fascinating to see how different parts of the country rationalize deficit spending. 'Cause in the end that's all we're doing. Spending on credit like teenagers with a credit card, and hoping someday we'll make some money again.

California: "We think we pay for too much... of what our Representatives voted for!" ;) ;) ;)

That's 100% classic right there. Pure political comedy gold. Right up there with Warren Buffett saying he wants to pay more in taxes, so no one from Detroit makes a side-trip to Omaha and shoots him dead. (The modern equivalent of pitchforks at the gate, I suppose.)

So really...

They're YOUR government programs that you're paying for... sorry you voted in folks who signed y'all up for that.

:) :) :) Fun stuff.

Isn't it amazing how California singlehandedly forced deficit spending on the rest of the nation. I had no idea we had such power. We even forced the Republican President and Congresses to do it in the 2000s. :rolleyes:

Folks:

I am pretty certain that, with a little effort and research, a reasonably intelligent person could craft a cogent set of reasons why each and every state in the union is either: (1) utterly valueless and a complete drain of the union's resources, or (2) valuable beyond measure and comprehension to the very existence of the Estados Unidos.

But really, why bother? Somewhere betwixt those two poles lies some measure of truth, and a whole raft of irrelevance.

Most importantly, such discussion belongs, if at all, in the Spin Zone, to where I direct anyone who desires to carry this silly ****ing-match further.

Ciao. ;)

Wait isn't your plane breaking some kind of BARRIER in your avatar? So obviously you can get to Italy.

Ciao. ;)

My father's airplane has long-range tanks. Theoretically I could fly it to Europe, but realistically, I don't have the experience yet to attempt it. I wouldn't go to Italy anyway; it does not appeal to me. I do want to fly around Iceland someday.

Wait isn't your plane breaking some kind of BARRIER in your avatar? So obviously you can get to Italy.

It is a Cessna trying to break the Boredom Barrier and failing epically.

:rofl:

Back