Best thing you did this summer

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
The last few summers I worked on my pilot certificates. This year I worked my part time job so not much flying.

What's the highlight of your summer? Living vicariously through you guys and gals

Took my 14-y/o grandson to Europe. He's already had three years of Latin study, and is interested in ancient Roman and WW2 history. So we spent four nights in Rome, then took the train to Munich for five nights there, with a side trip to Nuremberg.

He had built a model of the Circus Maximus last year for a school project. Here he is at the real thing:

GOPR0862.JPG

More photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/103837507532952449461/Europe2015Lite?authkey=Gv1sRgCLL1l-Wt3Iy73gE

Last edited:
I love that angry sky over that peacful landscape!

Spent a ton of time with my stepdaughter. She learned to shoot with an air rifle, and a compound bow. Spent a lot of time just chatting. Wouldn't trade it for anything

Let's see... got a grant to begin a small research project in May, ordered and recently received all the equipment I should need. Climbed Mt. Hunger in June, then went home to MI and cleaned out my condo, left it in the hands of a property management company to put it up for rent. Got my medical renewed, hopefully for the last time (getting expen$ive). Been doing lots of hikes (VT is great for that, in summer anyway), some but not a lot of flying. Did an "airport tag" flight to ME and NH last Friday.

So far it has been getting my instrument rating, in a couple weeks I plan to top it with getting my CPL, then taking a flying trip across the country and back.

Took my 14-y/o grandson to Europe. He's already had three years of Latin study, and is interested in ancient Roman and WW2 history. So we spent four nights in Rome, then took the train to Munich for five nights there, with a side trip to Nuremberg.

He had built a model of the Circus Maximus last year for a school project. Here he is at the real thing:

GOPR0862.JPG

WOW - what a great experience for your grandson and you!!

Fantastic Photo!!!

Haven't done the best thing yet. I am afraid the best thing I'll do this summer is LEAVE Homer, AK.

I really haven't accomplished anything notable at all over the Summer. Well I wrote a book and listed it on Amazon, but it flopped miserably.

Attended OSH for the first time this year. Flew from Denver to Appleton in one friend's Pilatus PC-12, had an amazing time at the show, then flew back with another friend in his Falcon 900LX. What an incredible aircraft THAT was!

Nice going, Mike.

I hiked two local mountains which are inaccessible to the public.
I stayed at an awesome mountain ranch in Idaho.
I got (and still am getting) the hell beat outta me at work. Oh, wait - good things, sorry.

I hired a truly wonderful young veterinarian "new graduate". She has the work ethic and drive that I remember from new grads many years ago. Maybe more. She is smart too and she is worth ever penny (a whooooole lot of pennies) that I pay her.

I really haven't accomplished anything notable at all over the Summer. Well I wrote a book and listed it on Amazon, but it flopped miserably.

I missed this somehow. Throw us a link.

As for the posts about spending time w/ kids and grandkids, my 14YO son and dad just returned from a trip to D.C. He'll remember that the rest of his life.

I missed this somehow. Throw us a link.

As for the posts about spending time w/ kids and grandkids, my 14YO son and dad just returned from a trip to D.C. He'll remember that the rest of his life.
I hope your son does too.

^^^^ Sweet! ^^^^^ ;)

I helped my daughter install a new 38x16' pool liner in her pool. Our first time and it came out excellent.

Later in the summer, I'm going to be buying some land up in lake Powell area to develop a retirement place.

San Diego Comic Con. Me and 130,000 of my closest friends :eek::D

Nauga,
who is tolerant, mostly

OSH was my favorite highlight this summer for sure!

Went to a donkey show in Juarez with 6PC.

I have no highlights.
One of the more enjoyable things I did early this summer was flying down to Dayton to Tim Meyer's cookout. I got to meet several POA members and had some good conversation.
I had a nice conversation with a guy (no name tag) for about 20 miniutes before I realized, it was Ed Fred! Nice guy - Really! Sorry Ed, your secret is out.

There were too many people there to list. Very nice to meet some of the people
that post here.

Looking forward to the next time.

Jim

One of the more enjoyable things I did early this summer was flying down to Dayton to Tim Meyer's cookout. I got to meet several POA members and had some good conversation.
I had a nice conversation with a guy (no name tag) for about 20 miniutes before I realized, it was Ed Fred! Nice guy - Really! Sorry Ed, your secret is out.

There were too many people there to list. Very nice to meet some of the people
that post here.

Looking forward to the next time.

Jim

That was an imposter I tell you! :D

Those get togethers are always a good time. Even if it was in Ohio. :yikes:

This Summer, I cranked out more than 30 hours and I am really close to testing for my ASEL -- a very productive Summer for me! :)

No powered flight, but lots of other fun this summer:

-1st hang glider flight from the mountain
- 7 days on a 44ft cat in the BVIs.
- Two nice motorcycle backroads trips with longtime friends, one 6 days and the other 5.

Flew into OSH, did my FR, and Cirrus transition. Flying into OSH was on bucket list. Working on buying a SR22 with my new partnership. On a personal note, wife and I celebrated our one year anniversary and we got her condo sold. My daughter got a better teaching job, and my son during his internship at a very large company discovered a major security breach in a major hardware provider that was posted on their website. Quite proud of both kids.

I learned how to fly a plane! I'm not quite finished--I'm at 28 hours--but I'm just working on my solo time now. My instructor is confident that I'll be able to take my check ride at exactly 40 hours so it's getting close! Here's a photo from my second solo cross country (KAHN-KLQK-KAHN).

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I learned how to fly a plane! I'm not quite finished--I'm at 28 hours--but I'm just working on my solo time now. My instructor is confident that I'll be able to take my check ride at exactly 40 hours so it's getting close! Here's a photo from my second solo cross country (KAHN-KLQK-KAHN).

Congrats and good luck.

Summers not over,let's not rush the season.did get the boat running.

Won the region 8 (northwest) Sports Class Soaring Competion.
This week made the Louis Stur Trophy flight (240 mile total out and return from Mackay,Id to Landmark, ID.
Flew my fasted 300km (189miles) triangle ever at about 77mph in my HP16T
Got to do a 5 hour flight in an LS6, the plane I hope I can buy within the next couple years
Done the most soaring hours I ever have in a year 84hrs and counting (19 flights)

Brian

Last edited:
Won the region 8 (northwest) Sports Class Soaring Competion.
This week made the Louis Stur Trophy flight (240 mile total our and return from Mackay,Id to Landmark, ID.
Flew my fasted 300km (189miles) triangle ever at about 77mph in my HP16T
Got to do a 5 hour flight in an LS6, the plane I hope I can buy within the next couple years
Done the most soaring hours I ever have in a year 84hrs and counting (19 flights)n

that's some nice flying there, congrats!

Lake Lanier?

I do quite a bit of flying out of AHN.

Got my IPC and flew my first actual in 6 years and flew the snot out of my new to me Bo and actually used my plane to go on vacation with my wife.

Well, I'm a bit older than most of you, so in my retirement I just sit and rock and I don't do much. Plus I have to slip off the restraints and sneak past the orderly at the rest home to get out. Lessee, what did I do:
- Planted a few hundred acres of corn and beans
- Aaaand, oh yeah, snuck off to Florida for two and a half weeks to remodel the beach house. Fourteen hours a day at 95 degrees and no electricity or AC until the last two days. Dropped 20 pounds. Stripped it back to the studs, new wiring, new plumbing, new flooring, new insulation, new drywall, new cabinets, new fixtures, new paint, new furniture, slam the door shut and drive straight back to Michigan in 21 hours.
- Got back to find they had rain for the three weeks I was gone and I lost a $24K field of corn due to flooding. So, then I decided it had to have field tile and just got that done, another $30K+ hit.
- I'm busy every day walking the fields with a hand sprayer and a hoe (careful how you say that) dealing with the weeds that spring up. I do that in the morning at first light until the sun comes up and then again after supper for about an hour and a half till dark. Too hot in the middle of the day.
The past few days I have been reviewing my telescope and photography gear - mostly unused for years - and I'm contemplating putting in a permanent telescope pier on the edge of one of my fields. Reasonably dark sky and in the center of the section away from car lights and houses. Parking room for the local astronomy club to use it. (they don't know about it yet)
And I fly about twice a week.
SO, pretty quiet at the rest home.

Azure, what is your research grant topic?

Last edited:
Back