Best tablet for Garmin Pilot

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by TimRF79, Jul 5, 2018.

1. teejayevans

teejayevans Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    We have purpose built devices (Aera by Garmin), but they don’t have same functionality as GP for some reason? Would have thought they would have written OS,library routines to somewhat emulate IOS, then reuse 1 code base and have same functionality as GP, saving development $.

2. Ryan F.

Ryan F. Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan Ferguson 1974
    I would imagine Garmin wants to keep the different products somewhat protected from each other. They clearly view Garmin Pilot as an important product in their line. It integrates nicely with the panel now via Connext.

3. denverpilot

denverpilot Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Probably not running hardware compatible with either the Android OS or iOS.

They already have two code bases for those devices and don’t appear to share much code between them, so adding a third when they already have the development done for the much older hardware inside the Aera units (than either an Android tablet or iPad), would actually be a complete re-write for whatever hardware they put in the Aera.

What they could do is a new version of Aera model that’s Android compatible hardware under the hood, dump the Android version of Garmin Pilot into that hardware, and then get the Android version up to par with the iOS version

Then they continue to sell GP as a subscription for third party Android tablets, and essentially sell it with a “lifetime” subscription in their own hardware for the outrageously inflated Aera prices.

Or just make it a subscription model across the board but have their own Android compatible hardware so they don’t have to port anything. Just lock down the hardware, bootloader, etc. and use the best touchscreen for daylight use they can find on it.

Thats their cheapest route because they can base the initial model off of some existing android tablet and license the design from someone and have it made in the same factory in China... just change the screen and maybe a more rugged plastic case on it.

4. Eric Fetty

Eric Fetty Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fetty
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2

Is drop proof, dust proof, water proof, etc. Has optional LTE for $100 more, has stylus to take notes with as G-Pilot has a scratchpad. And the perfect size. I did a sh*t ton of research and tried 6 diff android tablets before I settled on this one and I absolutely love it for flying! I use it in every day too, take it with me everywhere. Newegg.com carries them, I'd say spend the extra $100 and get the version that'll work with cellular.

-Edit- Tracked down the newegg link for ya

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...alaxy_tab_active_2-_-9SIAEJW6WD4061-_-Product

denverpilot likes this.
  5. teejayevans

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    That’s pretty easy todo, Linux run on many platforms with completely different hardware. Wine (windows emulator) runs on Linux. It’s pretty easy to do, nothing a little software can’t fix .
    FWIW, I use to do that for living.

6. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Kinda. Emulators aren’t fast, so if their hardware is something that doesn’t support Linux natively, they’d probably avoid that route.

I tried looking for Aera tear downs by electronics geeks but found nothing. Not enough volume of those out there for “casual” tear downs I guess. Was kinda curious what was under the hood. Oh well.

The Aera lineup is likely just stuff that’s also in their marine lineup which is much more popular but didn’t look for tear downs of those.

Still, two different divisions at Garmin, I’m sure. There’s also the issue that to unify those they’d have to kill someone’s baby in the handheld division...

7. Jay Honeck

Jay Honeck Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jay Honeck
    I have used Garmin Pilot for Android since its introduction in 2012. I'm currently running it flawlessly on two Samsung S2s and a new Samsung S3. We use it on every flight.

Pilot for Android hasn't been buggy since ~2014ish. If it's not running properly on your device, it may be an issue with your device.

8. teejayevans

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    There is also the experimental division and certified division. I think that’s why they came out with TXi instead of certifying G3X touch, which is what I would have done, followed the G5 model.

9. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Sure. Big company, big silos. No consolidated plan.