Best Simulator Ever?

NordicDave

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
NordicDave
Wow, has anyone else seen the Alsim AL172?

This might be the penultimate Cessna 172 simulator. I'm eager to try the newest MS Flight Sim 2020 with VR glasses, might be similar. However I like Alsim's idea of a wrap around screen with multiple hi-def projectors. I'm afraid to ask the cost. The unit Supposedly (edited) includes real Garmin G1000.

Crazy over the top. Probably buy an actual cheap 172 for the same price.

Last edited:
https://realsimgear.com/collections/complete-setups/products/realsimgear-cirrus-desktop-console

IMG_2453_2000x.png

Wow, has anyone else seen the Alsim AL172?

This might be the penultimate Cessna 172 simulator. I'm eager to try the newest MS Flight Sim 2020 with VR glasses, might be similar. However I like Alsim's idea of a wrap around screen with multiple hi-def projectors. I'm afraid to ask the cost. The unit Supposedly (edited) includes real Garmin G1000.

Crazy over the top. Probably buy an actual cheap 172 for the same price.
I used the Alsim for IFR training. Think in the 10 grand range. It actually messed with me when in VMC. It tricks you to feel like you are moving, yet with no actual motion it feels very wrong. Don't feel that way in full motion sims. You get used to it, but it was not pleasant at first.

I spoke with Alsim regarding their Alsim172. You can install one in your hangar or home for a mere $300K.

Our Club's FTU bought a new Alsim AL250 late last year. It was about $250k by the time we got it here and set up earlier this year. Was chosen after researching all the options out there. It takes up a bit of floorspace, about a 6 ft x 8 ft footprint; it is not a "desktop" simulator. Two students can train at the same time as the instructor operates the sim from a separate console behind the two front seats. It's an upgrade from the Redbird we've used for 6 or 7 years now.

Last couple of months I've used it to do some twin piston emergency procedure refresher training and also for some IFR simulations. It's a very nice machine. Interestingly, the Redbird moves, the Alsim does not, but the Alsim feels like the more realistic experience.

I also really got to like the Garmin 650 navigator in the Alsim. It's an actual Garmin box just like one in a plane, and works identically. The 530/430 pair in the Redbird sim is a simulated IFR navigator and there's lots of little things about the Redbird software that don't work like the actual Garmin 530 box. It gets irritating after a time if you do much IFR work in the Redbird.

The Alsim is a French made product, and we did notice the scenery resolution and detail at the French airports is better than any other airport anywhere else in the world. Imagine that, LOL.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice to me, although I don’t get the guy hanging his leg out the open door? Perhaps I am looking at that incorrectly.
Truly, the only thing missing seems to be motion. Once that is established (likely never due to huge costs) I could see a certificate/rating being issued in such device.
The sticking point, as noted above, is motion. I doubt the Feds would buy off on anything without it.

Back