Best simple aviation mechanics book

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Would like to learn about aviation engines and mechanics such as on the Cessna 150 172, not wanting to be an A&P. What book would someone recommend to read to learn how the aircraft functions mechanically.

I’d also look at Mike Buschs Engines as well. Lot of self grandstanding but also lot of good information. Plus all of the service manuals for your plane and engine.

This one:

B07MC8QT7D.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Systems-Pilots-Dale-Remer/dp/1619546272/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3W43PD6OW456Y&keywords=aircraft+systems+for+pilots&qid=1686443917&sprefix=aircraft+systems+for+pilots,aps,174&sr=8-1

From the description:

This book is a single source, concise presentation of what pilots should know about basic aircraft systems. The content reflects the author’s more than thirty-five years experience of flying and fourteen years of teaching Aircraft Systems to university students. Aircraft Systems for Pilots includes a brief study of the fundamentals of physical matter (from which airplanes are made) and mechanics (how airplane parts act and react). The author provides sufficient study of each type of system to allow the professional pilot to stay abreast of the critical learning which must occur as the pilot advances into management of more complex aircraft. Subject covered include physics, aircraft engine types and construction, reciprocating engine theory of operation, engine lubrication and cooling, propellers and governors, fuels and fuel systems, power management, supercharging and turbocharging, pressurization and high altitude operations, electrical principles, electrical components, aircraft electrical systems, hydraulic systems and landing gear, pneumatic and deicing systems, aircraft structures and flight controls, weight and balance, inspections, pilot maintenance, and aircraft instrument systems. Illustrated throughout, study questions conclude each chapter and includes index. In print for more than 30 years and continually updated through the years, this 4th Edition continues to serve as the comprehensive college textbook for pilots learning aircraft systems.

This was the textbook for the aircraft systems course I taught in college.

It does not cover turbine engines.

Often overlooked, the appropriate engine operating manuals, from either Lycoming or Continental, have good info as well.

Like suggested above the Advisory Circular 43.13-1B is the best of all references for all aviation maintenance.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.13-1B_w-chg1.pdf
This manual offers acceptable ways to make certain repairs and modifications. It does not describe or explain the operation of the various systems, including engines and instruments.

If you own a Cessna 100 series aircraft the manual called:
"Cessna 100 Series Service Manual 1963-1968" will have all the important information for keeping your Cessna 150 thru 185 in good working order.

No, it won't have all the information you need. All Cessna's manuals are periodically revised to include new information as the fleet ages and problems start showing up. The online manuals are often originals and very much out of date, though they are handy for study.

And example is the corrosion pitting problem on the leaf-spring gear legs found on all Cessna singles up until the late '60s and early '70s, on the 180/185 until they went out of production in the 1980s, and are still used on the 206. Pitting on that leg, especially on its underside, penetrates the shot-peened and hardened surface that give the leg its strength, and they can break suddenly and wreck the airplane. Cessna updated the manuals regarding that 12 or 15 years ago.

If one is serious about knowing a lot, the proper textbooks are the way to start. If one wants a good overview, that Aircraft Systems book I mentioned is the way to go. A stack of A&P textbooks can easily discourage the casual reader.

Im not sure why the Sky Ranch books never get mentioned but they’re a far better reference source than anything else.

I keep a copy on the bench in my hangar, along with a couple of parts catalogs to help me search for parts by picture instead of description. I have Cessna and Lycoming manuals in Files on my iPhone but rarely use them.

No, it won't have all the information you need. All Cessna's manuals are periodically revised to include new information as the fleet ages and problems start showing up. The online manuals are often originals and very much out of date, though they are handy for study.

And example is the corrosion pitting problem on the leaf-spring gear legs found on all Cessna singles up until the late '60s and early '70s, on the 180/185 until they went out of production in the 1980s, and are still used on the 206. Pitting on that leg, especially on its underside, penetrates the shot-peened and hardened surface that give the leg its strength, and they can break suddenly and wreck the airplane. Cessna updated the manuals regarding that 12 or 15 years ago.

If one is serious about knowing a lot, the proper textbooks are the way to start. If one wants a good overview, that Aircraft Systems book I mentioned is the way to go. A stack of A&P textbooks can easily discourage the casual reader.
You may be right, pilots may not understand a maintenance manual. But, The price is right for this 2007 revised .pdf copy :cool:

https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Cessna100Series19621968MMD637113.3024493718

Sac SkyRanch books….
Those books, as far as I know, are limited to engines and operation and maintenance. The OP said this:

Would like to learn about aviation engines and mechanics such as on the Cessna 150 172, not wanting to be an A&P. What book would someone recommend to read to learn how the aircraft functions mechanically.

I took that to mean the whole airplane, and the Sky Ranch books don't cover that. The Aircraft Systems book I posted does.
The index in that book, which I have here (previous edition to the new one) covers these topics in considerable detail:

Physics
Aircraft engine types and construction
Reciprocating engine theory of operation
Engine lubrication and cooling
Propellers and governors
Fuels and fuel systems
Power management
Supercharging and turbocharging
Pressurization and high altitude operations
Electrical principles
Electrical components
Aircraft electrical systems
Hydraulic systems and landing gear
Pneumatic and deicing systems
Aircraft structures and flight controls
Weight and balance, inspections and pilot maintenance
Aircraft instrument systems

450 pages of all that. Many subtopics under each of the above headings. For $40 it's an unbeatable resource for pilots. Aircraft service manuals are good, but they don't explain why things are the way they are.

Back