Best Replacement for Avidyne EX500?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
The EX500 in my Twin Beech is about to die and I'm pondering what to replace it with.

Currently have a GNS530W feeding into it. Don't really need a second 530

What I'd like to do is find a suitable replacement with the same footprint that will display moving map with ADS-B weather

What is the best option without getting stupid on the price?

IPad mini with a panel dock?

Aspen, maybe.

Avidyne Vantage is their upgrade offering. Don’t know if it’s available yet.

https://www.avidyne.com/avidyne-ann...splay-systems-unveils-cirrus-upgrade-program/
Not out yet, but talking to them at sun n fun they said they expect it by Oshkosh. I don’t know how reliable that is.

also, I learned that it is certified only if you also install two IFDs and their Auto pilot. It’s all or nothing. So, Unless you already have the IFDs it’s probably gonna be pricey.

Consider a Garmin 660 or 760. Very capable and reasonably priced (relative to other options). They can get route information from your 530 and display traffic, weather etc.

The Vantage system from Avidyne looks great if one already has IFD navigators, but only if there is an autopilot solution as part of that package. Currently, their DFC90 autopilot has a limited AML. Of course it would not be cheap either.

It is funny how the EX-500 hit a sweet spot for an MFD and no one has thought to go after that niche. Perhaps too niche?

Back