Best place to buy touchup paint if I have paint code?

50kttailwind

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
50kttailwind
Looking to touch up a few peeled spots on the leading edges. Logbooks say I need Matterhorn white code 570-535.

Is there a preferred place to buy a small bottle? Is there a "best approach" to touching up? Or, basically perform like touching up a car?

Thanks!

Is there a "best approach" to touching up?
Depends on the area size to touch up and the results you are looking for. As to matching the paint color that will also depend on the condition and age of the existing paint. However, any good paint store should be able to match even a faded paint color. Perhaps discuss witth a local paint store or shop what your options are.

“How much fade do I put in the can?”

It’s likely best to follow Bell’s advice.

Is the paint code from the aircraft OR the paint mfg?

It does help to know the type aircraft as well.

Is this a fabric covered Dragon Rapide?

Suggest you take a panel off the bottom of the aircraft to match.

Compatibility of paint type as well as color is easier.

Matterhorn white is a standard color. One of the local Advanced Auto Parts stores made me up 4 oz. in a shaker bottle with a brush in the lid. <$10. They would make as much or as little as needed. Don't over think this.

I took a inspection plate off of the bottom of the wing to the auto paint store. She took some pictures of it with paint match camera. I had her mix me 2 spray cans and a quart for my spray gun. It was close to a perfect match.

also like said matterhorn white is everywhere in cans. How close is it to your paint, who knows?

My last 172 had a genuine rattle-can Rust Oleum paint job.

Very easy and cheap to match color.

Just don’t try to recoat with anything else!

Hmm, the underside is in shade, the leading edge and top are in the sun. Do you think after a number of years they will match?????

With small chips, get a small artist's brush and fill in the chip, don't slobber paint all over. That will make it less noticeable. Larger areas of worn paint need to be feathered edges.

Eventually they seem to blend together.

One aircraft I know of looked good from about 100 feet away but had LOTS of

tiny stone chips. Using Pinecones method (and lots of patience ) the aircraft

looks really good today.

Flight School Cessnas can benefit a lot with a quicky paint touch- up that

minimizes downtime.

The Leading Edges are what deteriorates so the technique is to :

Mask off Leading Edge at the seam for the Spar.

The bottom of the wing is protected and the top is difficult to see. The can be

ignored or polished later. Ignore the belly too.

Struts , Landing Gear and Cowling can be sanded and painted.

If you keep the same trim layout you can redo or change colors.

Note that it is difficult to sand and move a line without the old one showing

up .

This is definitely not an equivalent to a $18,000 paint job but it can make the

aircraft much more presentable. It can be done in segments on rainy days too.

Matterhorn white is a standard color. One of the local Advanced Auto Parts stores made me up 4 oz. in a shaker bottle with a brush in the lid. <$10. They would make as much or as little as needed. Don't over think this.

How were the results?

Aviation section of Home Depot has the paint you need. Along with grade 8 bolts and butt connectors for your rat nest.

I tend to paint customer’s and prospect’s single chips or scratches with Matterhorn white at no cost when they come by as a courtesy. We are in SoCal. I have both Imron and Jetglo.

Once feathered it can be sanded and polished for blend. Voila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back