Best Phillips bits

Zantop Air Transport operated an aircraft called the AW-650 Argosy. This British cargo aircraft used British Standard and Whitworth Standard hardware extensively.
It utilized screws that were slotted. However; there was also a drilled hole in the center of the slot. The crew always used standard flat screwdrivers but I have wondered if there was a special bit that used the hole to stabilize the bit.

May have been a copy of Sony's "Slot and Dot" screw style. Slot head screw with a hole drilled on the center line. The driver was a slot head style with a spring loaded half pin to fit in one side of the hole. That gave the driver the capability of holding the screw prior to insertion, or retaining it on removal.

That description sounds like what I would envision the tool to be. Seems unusual to have the wrenches and sockets but not a screwdriver.

If anybody has any information regarding this...now I'm curious.

I haven’t encountered any reason I wouldn't use either bit in a hand driver. I keep the bit fresh either way and replace at the first sign of wear. Its not like they are expensive.

For using impacts on airplanes (regional jets), our techs straight from the military use speed handles. Though I have not done a scientific study, I am 100% confident that competent use of an impact driver can remove stuck screws with better results. Its not a result you should expect from everybody though.

One of the wing panels on the jet was notorious for stuck screws. Often 80% of the panel would need drilled out. This was the techs using small impacts, speed handles or a brutus bar. One day I had the 1/2 impact in the truck and put a #3 phillips on it and went to town on that panel. It removed a 100% of the screws with ease and no damage. Its not a tool your about to let just anyone use though.

For my cessna, I use a small 10v driver that works great for the purpose.

Throw away your stainless steel fasteners and go back to Cad-Plated. They don't look as good after time, but will last longer!

Back