Best option to upgrade current #2 Nav/Comm?

jmuratore

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jmuratore
Hi all,

I own a 1977 Piper Arrow III, and it's about that time I'm throwing money into it.

Airplane has a fresh overhaul from Penn Yan Aero, and now I am looking to make IFR flight a bit easier. (going to be doing a dual G5 install)

I currently have the ancient Collins VIR-351 Nav and VIR-251 Comm, and am looking for the best option to replace. I don't need to go brand new, so Garmin GNC255 is kind of out of my budget. Just something better than what I have and will be as close to a slide in replacement as possible.

Doing the install with an A&P friend.

Thanks!

What do you have already? ADS-B? TSO-146 GPS (WAAS)? AP? If I had a good WAAS box in #1 and and AP, I'd still strongly consider a GPS-COM in #2, else I might just leave it as is for backup. You are hardly ever going to use the VOR or LOC in #2. I can't remember the last time I actually used the #2 NAV in my plane since installing a GNS-430W. The #2 COM just gets used for CLNC and GND for the most part. Occasionally, TWR.

What do you have already? ADS-B? TSO-146 GPS (WAAS)? AP? If I had a good WAAS box in #1 and and AP, I'd still strongly consider a GPS-COM in #2, else I might just leave it as is for backup. You are hardly ever going to use the VOR or LOC in #2. I can't remember the last time I actually used the #2 NAV in my plane since installing a GNS-430W. The #2 COM just gets used for CLNC and GND for the most part. Occasionally, TWR.
Hi,

I currently have a GNS430 WAAS, and a Stratus ADS-B In/Out Transponder. GL-106 indicator and a collins indicator. Just simply looking to replace those outdated radios.

I'd look to an SL-30 or SL-40.

Disagreeing with Chemgeek, I think the second VOR is worth the slight extra cost.

[Disclaimer: I have 430W, SL30 and Dynon eFIS]

You are hardly ever going to use the VOR or LOC in #2. I can't remember the last time I actually used the #2 NAV in my plane since installing a GNS-430W. The #2 COM just gets used for CLNC and GND for the most part. Occasionally, TWR.
I use #2 for the 30 day VOR check since I don't have a VOT at the home 'drome.

You'd be hard pressed to find an SL-30 at a decent price. Most owners have the "pry them from my cold dead hands" mentality and those that do end up on the market go very quickly. Sometimes people do get lucky, though.

Next most popular NAV/COM/CDI on the used market seems to be a KX155/KI204 combo. Those are pretty easy to find compared to a SL30. However, the SL30 has the benefit of working with your GI-106 for after you get the G5.

Disagreeing with Chemgeek, I think the second VOR is worth the slight extra cost.

[Disclaimer: I have 430W, SL30 and Dynon eFIS]
Altho Garmin has discontinued the SL30, it's still holding it's value, and IMHO a bit better than the GNC 255 because it's the "slimline" from Apollo, which means it's half the height of the GNC. The numbers on the GNC are bigger (obviously) but the SL30 is still a great buy.

Is it worth it to go to an MX-12 from TKM? Or should I just go for a GNC at that point?
Even considering a used KX-155A.

Back