best LED T8 bulbs?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by GeorgeC, Dec 2, 2018.

1. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    My garage has six fixtures with two T8 bulbs apiece. I think one fixture has a failed ballast, as the bulbs won't light and changing the bulbs has no effect. Is bypassing the ballast and going LED worth it at this point?

Generally, I have been underwhelmed by the lifespan of LED bulbs that I have deployed in incandescent fixtures. Upward-facing fixtures have fared better than downward-facing cans, presumably due to better cooling.

2. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    48" LED fixtures are getting pretty cheap. I'd just replace the whole thing, dead units first and the others when they also die or start to bother you.

3. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    Costco has 48" led shop lights for $20/each. Hard to beat.

Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  4. wrbix

wrbix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    I’m slowly replacing all my fluorescent T8’s w LED. Been impressed w HYPERIKON brand - there are others cheaper, but 5yr warranty speaks for something, .....I guess.
    Really like not hearing that subliminal hum, and I’m sick of ballasts going TU.

Off topic - what’s everyone do w their burned out fluorescents ?....nobody seems to take them at recycling centers.

5. biplanebob

biplanebob Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    biplanebob
    There are two types of led T-8 tubes. There is a "plug and play" type that is a direct replacement if you have a working electronic ballast, and
    There is a "direct wire" type that requires removal of the ballast, rewiring the fixture and may require new "tombstone" sockets. There are many videos on youtube showing the conversion.

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  6. Tango Golf Sierra

Tango Golf Sierra Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tango Golf Sierra
    Worth it. I have been buying Keystone lamps for around $8. Dont know if they are the best but havent had any problems.

7. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    Sam's Club also has a wide variety, especially online. The selection in the clubs tends to be smaller.

Rich

8. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    In my county they're "officially" accepted at the county waste / recycling facility several times a year; but if you only have a few of them, they'll usually accept them any time and set them aside until the next "official" collection day.

Rich

9. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    I've yet to have an LED replacement for an incandescent bulb fail. I did have one that never worked at all; but none that have ever worked have ever failed.

Rich

10. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    I'll second the Hyperikon endorsement if you're shopping brands. I bought a 4-pack about 3 years ago and cut the ballasts out of a couple fixtures in my shop. They're bright like stadium lights and come on full bright right away even when the shop its 10 degrees in the shop. After my experience with them I decided to convert all the remaining dozen fixtures in my shop a few months back. I didn't use the Hyperikon this time, just bought whatever brand Menards had that was suitable for ballast bypass.

Since I was converting everything anyway, I even removed the electronic ballasts from the few newer fixtures I had. I did this partly because I saw no point in having a ballast in there sucking power when its not needed. But mostly I did it because those electronic ballasts (at least the ones I had) make a lot of noise. With all the dinosaur ballasts gone and those fixtures now silent, I wasn't going to leave those electronic ballasts in there buzzing away like a broken door bell, so out they came. Shop lights are dead silent now. I can't comment on the long term durability of the Menards bulbs since I only did the conversion a few months back. But so far, they seem no different from the Hyperikons. Nice and bright even in the cold, and silent.

11. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    Thanks. I pulled the ballast last night and ordered the hyperikons.

12. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    One thing to keep in mind. How you wire the fixture after you pull the ballast out depends on the bulbs you put back in. Some bulbs need the hot wire to both posts on one end and the negative to both posts on the other. Other bulbs need the hot wire to one post and negative to the post next to it and nothing to the posts on the other end.

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  13. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    I got the dual-ended bulbs. In retrospect, the single-ended ones would have needed shorter wire runs. That said, rewiring the "tombstones" was trivially easy.

14. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
  15. rsleeds

rsleeds Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    RSLeeds
    We reworked 3 2-tube and 1 4-tube fixtures by removing the ballasts and replacing the tombstones on one end of each. Kits for the tombstone replacements and 10 LED tubes less than $80 at the electric supply house and about an hour's work. Even if the tubes last half advertised, money ahead real quick.

16. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    Two fixtures done. Very nice, great success.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    rsleeds likes this.