Best Kneeboard for IFR

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
All! I've been using AOPA's Tri-Fold kneeboard for just about all my flying... I've come to the conclusion that this Tri-Fold piece of crap sucks for Single Pilot IFR... Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for SPIFR?

*Bi-Fold
*Pilot Clipboards
*??

Thanks!

iPad with Foreflight and the 'keep it simple' IFR kneeboard from Sportys that has the clip for a pen/pencil.

Attachments

• 9215.jpg
    9215.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 84
I Pad with fore flight and an on board charger.and a knee strap to keep it in place.

5x7 lucite clip board from walmart, and a velcro strap also from walmart. As simple as it gets and works perfectly fine. I did by a VFR trifold when I was in PPL training, and it is too big and the only thing that was ever useful was the clip board. It sits in my flight bag for now.

Nothing. Kitchen 3X5 index cards in your shirt pocket if you don't have something to write on.

iPad with Foreflight and the 'keep it simple' IFR kneeboard from Sportys that has the clip for a pen/pencil.

I use the same kneeboard except no pen clip. I would highly recommend one with a clip b/c mine is always dropping to the floor.

ive been thinking the same thing. my tri fold kneeboard sucks. ill probably end up switching to a clipboard

All! I've been using AOPA's Tri-Fold kneeboard for just about all my flying... I've come to the conclusion that this Tri-Fold piece of crap sucks for Single Pilot IFR... Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for SPIFR?

*Bi-Fold
*Pilot Clipboards
*??

Thanks!

I have an ASA trifold Kneeboard but its the VFR model which I think means the stuff printed on the clip board is different. I got it before I got my IR and didn't feel the need to upgrade.

Curious as to why you think it stinks. Mine is fine. I like and use the clipboard a lot and I use the pockets in the flaps to put papers in so I don't loose them. The clear plastic pocket is useless for reading charts however. The only thing that happened was the ink from my approach charts transferred to the plastic when I left it in a hot plane. I suppose I could use a bigger clip board with one flap pocket, but its not an urgent need.

Exactly. Here's what I use:

http://www.flyboys.com/fb1316.html

The pouch on the right side makes a great place to store a small screwdriver and my instrument covers, and the pen/pencil holders on the right side are very convenient. Add a 5x8 yellow mini-legal pad and my iPad/ForeFlight (kept loose), and I'm in business.

Curious as to why you think it stinks. Mine is fine. I like and use the clipboard a lot and I use the pockets in the flaps to put papers in so I don't loose them. The clear plastic pocket is useless for reading charts however. The only thing that happened was the ink from my approach charts transferred to the plastic when I left it in a hot plane. I suppose I could use a bigger clip board with one flap pocket, but its not an urgent need.

Well, it was great for the first 3 months of being a private pilot, but then the Velcro strap begins to tear apart. The flaps are flimsy, the elastic straps for pens/pencils really aren't what I was looking for and the leg strap was too big for my leg... Don't get my wrong, the aopa kneeboard is free and it's great for being free.. but it's too much and I feel like I don't need all those compartments.. My Ipad is mounted to the window, so I can't use that for a kneeboard.. Plus I didn't like the ipad in my lap, I found myself staring at it for longer than I needed and became spatially disoriented.

I have an ASA trifold Kneeboard but its the VFR model which I think means the stuff printed on the clip board is different. I got it before I got my IR and didn't feel the need to upgrade.

For me its just too big and all I really need it for is to hold my pad to write things on. I keep my plate on the yoke, and find that keeping my charts folded and free works better for me.

I gave up on kneeboards. Besides been cumbersome it is hard to maintain an instrument scan on an approach with the kneeboard. I opted for the 560 on the yoke that is within my scan view and can rest my wrist on the yoke while doing touch screen entries.

José

Attachments

• 560 on Yoke.JPG
    560 on Yoke.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 68

I'm still using a VFR kneeboard my wife bought me, very similar to Sportys but with a robust velcro strap. My pens are on the panel in these things from Wally World. Can't browse through pictures on my phone. Go to School & Office Supplies, look for Grip-It.

APR MK-9 kneeboard with FlyWrite IFR pad. Metal, WW2 vintage military design. Works as well today in my G1000 equipped DA40 with Ram Mount iPad mini with Foreflight as it did in my father's generation (WW2). It's a great tool and helps me stay organized and tuned up, especially on hard IMC days when I'm SPIFR.

School supply section at Walmart. Two full-size in each cockpit, standing/leaning upright when not in use. Flip over and use as in-flight tray table for meals. Proven repeatedly in world-wide use.

I use one similar to the one Ron Levy recommends. http://www.harper-aviation.com/

If you go this route, I prefer the fixed clip in the middle versus the loose rings. They are designed to use Jepp 7 hole protectors. I place my checklists in the protectors. It also comes with a writing pad that uses standard size Staples replacements, a side holder for pens, a flashlight and a pouch for miscellaneous stuff.

I use one similar to the one Ron Levy recommends. http://www.harper-aviation.com/

If you go this route, I prefer the fixed clip in the middle versus the loose rings. They are designed to use Jepp 7 hole protectors. I place my checklists in the protectors. It also comes with a writing pad that uses standard size Staples replacements, a side holder for pens, a flashlight and a pouch for miscellaneous stuff.

I'm really liking the Ultimate Kneeboard from Harper Aviation.. Looks simple, easy, and compact.. How do you like it? Is it pretty durable or does it break apart after a few uses? Oh, BTW... How is the leg strap?? does it conform and squeez your leg?

To hijack a bit, does anybody have a recommendation for kneeboard or other setup for ForeFlight on a (full-size) iPad but also a bit of paper space to copy clearances by hand? I've never really liked the ForeFlight scratch pad thing (though it works in a pinch).

One complicating factor is that I often have a stick between my knees, so don't want my leg getting too bulky.

I'm really liking the Ultimate Kneeboard from Harper Aviation.
I have a home-made kneeboard that is similar to that design. I've made several reference pages (light gun signals, lost comm, instructions for GPSs I seldom fly with, etc.) to carry on it. You can also print, punch, and securely carry approach plates, airport diagrams, etc. if you prefer paper as primary. My top page is a little form that I made in Excel for copying clearances, frequency and altitude assignments, tank change times, etc.

The 7-ring pattern gets referred to as "Jepp" but it is also a standard for calendar systems like DayTimers, Franklin Covey, etc. You can get a variety of paper stock, pocket pages, dividers, etc. for them at your local OfficeMaxMart. Covey also sells a very nice steel punch that is smaller and considerably less $$ than the "Jepp" punches offered in pilot catalogs.

School supply section at Walmart. Two full-size in each cockpit, standing/leaning upright when not in use. Flip over and use as in-flight tray table for meals. Proven repeatedly in world-wide use.

Me too, with the metal binder clips scattered around the edges to hold things.

I use the iProAviator kneeboards (not affiliated with the company). I like the lid, which acts as a heat shield and includes a writing pad. The full size version leaves a nice window for the ForeFlight navlog.

In the winter, I mount the mini with a ram suction and x-grip mount.

-Tyson

I use an aluminum clipboard from Staples.

I don't really like the stuff Sportys puts on their clip board. Morse Code? VFR altitudes? Equipment suffix's is good though, I think I'll add that as I hate looking it up when something breaks.

I put stuff I can never remember and just might need...light gun signals, low vis T/O equipment requirements, metric / standard conversions. I recently added VOR service volumes when our POI got a stick up his rear about needing to know them.

Anyway, a personalized clipboard is my vote.

I rarely use it but I have a aluminum clipboard/case that I got from Independence Airlines when they went bust. It has no RJ's number emblazened on it. I rarely use it.

My normal IFR pad is a small spiral notebook. I write out my proposed routing on it and copy all the clearances and subsequent changes on it. Everything else is electronic. I copy down the MDA/DH and initial missed approach info on it as well when I brief the approach.

I'm really liking the Ultimate Kneeboard from Harper Aviation.. Looks simple, easy, and compact.. How do you like it? Is it pretty durable or does it break apart after a few uses? Oh, BTW... How is the leg strap?? does it conform and squeez your leg?

Sorry I missed your post! I have owned mine since the 1990s. It is made of Cordura and is holding up well. I did a couple of mods. First I removed the plastic strap designed to hold the NOAA approach books. My second mod was to replace their inch wide elastic strap with a 3 inch wide one. The leg strap is fine as it comes but I like a wider band for comfort.

Wooden $1 clipboard from Walmart, with a $0.60 pen clip from Officemax stuck on the bottom. Later taped on a flightplan form (free) on the backside, a rubber band (free) to hold the blown up approach plates (free) on the opposite end of the clip, an Avgas 100LL sticker I found at an FBO (free), and the mag tolerances for all of the airplanes I fly (free). Looks cheap, but a clipboard is a clipboard no matter who you're marketing it to.

To hijack a bit, does anybody have a recommendation for kneeboard or other setup for ForeFlight on a (full-size) iPad but also a bit of paper space to copy clearances by hand?

MyGoFlight

It straps to your leg. I use it while sitting in airline seats, too.

iPad-Kneeboard-Pro-C---Open__97451.1329169824.1280.1280.jpg

I just use a legal-sized clipboard (from Staples, OfficeMax, etc) as a lapboard to organize my stuff. The huge clip is fine for holding an approach book and you can use some well placed binder clips to hold other stuff. If you want any informa printed on the board, just customine what you need on your computer and put a sheel of adhesive laminate over top the stick it to the board. I even have a couple of rounded velco patches to hold a timer or keep my tablt from sliding around on the board. Give it a shot, they only cost a few dollars and the,confinguration is only limited by your imagination.

+1

Except I use three.

One with all my departure info

One with all my enroute info

One with all my destination info

Since 90% of my flying is solo, they typically reside on the co-pilot's seat, under the seatbelt. If I have a passenger, then they're on the backseat.

I have two knee boards and hate them both.

:yeahthat: And if it's not quite "aviator" enough for you throw a free AOPA sticker on it while dropping two $20 bills in the trash! :D

Back