Best iPad Aviation Apps...

danielr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DanielR
Not necessarily one's you need a subscription for. Just apps under the $15 limit, or free one's that provide useful information. I've discovered some, but I suspect there are hidden gems I have yet to find out about.

'Checklist Lite' is pretty neat for a freebie.

'Documents Free' is not an aviation app but is very useful for logging my Tach and Hobbs times each flight. I also have a Weight & Balance spreadsheet that I programmed in 'Documents' that's very useful.

WingX and ForeFlight offer free 30 day trial periods, so they are short term freebies.

Last edited:
Take Off HD is a great Wx App. It is incredibly intuitive and programmable to you minimums. There is no interpretation needed because the information is delivered in such and understandable format.

Aviation W&B is my favorite weight and balance app. Under $10 one-time fee.

I suspect you are looking for the same?

Actually there have been several of these threads and I have most of the top ones mentioned. One thread kinda was a heated debate over a couple apps, so I was waiting for the fur to fly again. :rofl:

+2 for CloudAhoy

FlyQ pocket is pretty nice, it's an iPhone app but it will work on the iPad.

AeroWeather, pulls weather info and NOTAMs for whatever airports you input.

Zephyr Charts is pretty bare bones, but for what it costs it's not bad.

Aviation W&B is my favorite weight and balance app. Under $10 one-time fee.

Curious if you've looked at my weight and balance app (WnB Pro) and if so what do you like better about Aviation W&B Calculator?

Curious if you've looked at my weight and balance app (WnB Pro) and if so what do you like better about Aviation W&B Calculator?

I just purchased yours and there's a lot to like about it. From a UI standpoint, I like the way W&B presents all the Envelope points on one screen when setting it up. I find that easier than going back and forth. I suspect you did it to make it easier on small screens, but since we're talking iPad apps that is something in favor of it. I also like their reports that they output which can be emailed as proof that you did the weight and balance.

I'm going to play with it a little more. Another advantage of W&B is all my airplanes are already setup in it! Rebuilding them in yours will have to wait for a rainy day.

Still looking for something comparable on Android.

I just purchased yours and there's a lot to like about it. From a UI standpoint, I like the way W&B presents all the Envelope points on one screen when setting it up. I find that easier than going back and forth. I suspect you did it to make it easier on small screens, but since we're talking iPad apps that is something in favor of it. I also like their reports that they output which can be emailed as proof that you did the weight and balance.

I'm going to play with it a little more. Another advantage of W&B is all my airplanes are already setup in it! Rebuilding them in yours will have to wait for a rainy day.

Still looking for something comparable on Android.
Thanks for your input. WnB Pro can do the reports as well which can be emailed. When viewing an aircraft touch Actions then Save Profile.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for mentioning my app - Aviation W&B Calculator. Indeed, there are few great weight and balance apps out there in the app store and personally, I think that WnB Pro is definitely one of them.

Please allow me to share with you the strong advantages that Aviation W&B Calculator provides its customers with:

1. Template Library:
Aviation W&B comes with a growing templates library which includes as of today more than 240 ready for use templates. This unique feature, allows new users to find their airplane's template easily and use it right away instead of building it from zero.

2. Load-sheet Report:
The report that is being generated by the app, includes a small version of the cg limits envelope, airplane maximum weights, a detailed table of weight and balance calculations with totals, and lastly, flight information form which allow the pilot to digitally sign and email as PDF, print, or save as a photo.

3. Moment/1000 Support:
Aviation W&B provides with the option to show the cg limits envelope in both forms, inches and moment/1000 as many POH's show their envelopes in the form of moment/1000 and not inches. Moreover, if you create the template by yourself, you can input the data in a form of moment/1000 which saves much confusion that exists in other apps.

4. Variable fuel arm support:
Many airplanes in the general aviation world use variable fuel arms and Aviation W&B supports that as well. That said, the arm of the fuel station is changing with fuel burn.

5. Facts talks more than words and in the app store, the app's rating stands on more than 600 ratings with 4.7 stars average. In addition, AOPA & Sporty's chose Aviation W&B to be one of their top aviation apps for 2012.

Aviation W&B offers many other features, however, I mentioned the ones that are critical and related to this discussion. I am attaching few screenshots of the app for your convenient. I also would like to thank all the pilots out there who support and use Aviation W&B Calculator!

a3.png

a5.png

a4.png

a2.png

Thank you,
Roy Kronenfeld.

Just purchased Aviation W&B Calculator. As usual, no one app is perfect and I like the number of available templates, but I feel WnB Pro has it beat because once set up, using the slide bars for the weight stations and seeing the envelope change immediately is easier and faster. IMHO.

I'll most likely end up sticking with WnB.

Give me ForeFlight for android and I'll never complain again about ANYTHING.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for mentioning my app - Aviation W&B Calculator. Indeed, there are few great weight and balance apps out there in the app store and personally, I think that WnB Pro is definitely one of them.

Please allow me to share with you the strong advantages that Aviation W&B Calculator provides its customers with:

1. Template Library:
Aviation W&B comes with a growing templates library which includes as of today more than 240 ready for use templates. This unique feature, allows new users to find their airplane's template easily and use it right away instead of building it from zero.

2. Load-sheet Report:
The report that is being generated by the app, includes a small version of the cg limits envelope, airplane maximum weights, a detailed table of weight and balance calculations with totals, and lastly, flight information form which allow the pilot to digitally sign and email as PDF, print, or save as a photo.

3. Moment/1000 Support:
Aviation W&B provides with the option to show the cg limits envelope in both forms, inches and moment/1000 as many POH's show their envelopes in the form of moment/1000 and not inches. Moreover, if you create the template by yourself, you can input the data in a form of moment/1000 which saves much confusion that exists in other apps.

4. Variable fuel arm support:
Many airplanes in the general aviation world use variable fuel arms and Aviation W&B supports that as well. That said, the arm of the fuel station is changing with fuel burn.

5. Facts talks more than words and in the app store, the app's rating stands on more than 600 ratings with 4.7 stars average. In addition, AOPA & Sporty's chose Aviation W&B to be one of their top aviation apps for 2012.

Aviation W&B offers many other features, however, I mentioned the ones that are critical and related to this discussion. I am attaching few screenshots of the app for your convenient. I also would like to thank all the pilots out there who support and use Aviation W&B Calculator!

a3.png

a5.png

a4.png

a2.png

Thank you,
Roy Kronenfeld.

Roy

I purchased the app several months ago and absolutely love it. Thank you.

Just bought it. Plugged in all the info from the POH and verified it with pencil and paper, works great! :yes:

Just purchased Aviation W&B Calculator. As usual, no one app is perfect and I like the number of available templates, but I feel WnB Pro has it beat because once set up, using the slide bars for the weight stations and seeing the envelope change immediately is easier and faster. IMHO.

I'll most likely end up sticking with WnB.

I haven't gotten WnB Pro setup, so Aviation w&b works best for me! I like the form you can sign and mail, as well as the pic with each tail number.

Other apps: NAV Trainer Pro is great teaching tool.

Also use Chronology for multiple timers.

ForeFlight is all that you need...oh yeah and Android sucks. Flame on! ;)

Jesse, I've been using WnBpro for a while and think its great. It's by far my most used app behind Foreflight.
Thx!

Jesse, I've been using WnBpro for a while and think its great. It's by far my most used app behind Foreflight.
Thx!

Do you know how to access the shared profiles that have been created by other users? I can guess at some share codes and a profile comes up but I haven't found a way to look for a specific make and model.

Do you know how to access the shared profiles that have been created by other users? I can guess at some share codes and a profile comes up but I haven't found a way to look for a specific make and model.

No, I set it up for my plane and that's all I've used it for. I'll try and play with it some more this wknd.

Back