Best iPad App(s)?

Agreed. The best news I've heard is the new 7.85" screen IPad coming out this Oct.

That is not "news," that is "rumor." Last I heard, the folks who watch the supply chain hadn't seen Apple buying any screens in that size...

Yeah, and the most expensive iPad you can get is only $829. What's your point? :dunno:

Now load it and with ForeFlight and the receiver for weather and you're right there with a device you can barely read in the light.

Last edited:
Now load it and with ForeFlight and the receiver for weather and you're right there with a device you can barely read in the light.

OK, let's compare:

[row][cell] Device [/cell][cell] iPad + Stratus [/cell][cell] Garmin 696 [/cell][/row][row][cell] Condition [/cell][cell] New [/cell][cell] Used [/cell][/row][row][cell] Purchase Price [/cell][cell]$1628[/cell][cell]~$1500[/cell][/row][row][cell] Annual subscription cost for airport
database, navigation data, georeferenced
charts, plates, taxi diagrams
[/cell][cell] $150 [/cell][cell] $885 [/cell][/row][row][cell] Annual subscription cost for weather [/cell][cell] Free [/cell][cell] $360 [/cell][/row][row][cell] Total annual subscription cost [/cell][cell] $150 [/cell][cell] $1,245 [/cell][/row][row][cell] Uses outside the cockpit [/cell][cell] Millions [/cell][cell] Few, if any [/cell][/row]

Hmmm...

[row][cell] Number of iPads I can buy each year with the subscription savings compared to the 696 [/cell][cell]1.32-2.19, depending on model[/cell][/row][row][cell] Length of time it takes to save for one new iPad with the savings [/cell][cell]166 days (about 5.5 months) to 276 days (about 9 months) depending on model[/cell][/row][row][cell] Number of anti-glare screen covers I can buy for the iPad each year with the savings [/cell][cell]560[/cell][/row]

Clearly, the iPad wins by a LOT here...

Last edited:
All the anti glare in the world doesn't add light to the screen.

Been checked for macular degeneration lately or glaucoma?

My iPad 3 is bright enough it'll give you a headache in a dark room. It's fully readable in all but lying it down flat in direct sunlight.

No anti-glare either. Just works.

iPad 1, not as good.

Troubleshooting steps for this problem:

1. Turn the brightness up. (Either in the Settings app, or double-tap the button, swipe the icons to the right and there's a brightness control there too.)
2. Don't angle the iPad away from you - It should be reflecting your face or torso if you're using it in bright light, not the sky. Even an anti-glare screen is going to reflect some of that light. If you're pointing it towards your torso, wear a dark-colored shirt.
3. Look at the side with the LCD screen. :rolleyes:

Well, the sun streams in through windows during the day, my top to bottom eye exam said my eyes were excellent and my screen goes to full bright. I have an iPad2 and will wait for the Surface and other Win8 products before I replace this thing and give it to my mom.

My 430W was about 10k and I can't use it anywhere else but the airplane either. Nor do I intend to do so, since I bought it to use in the airplane. What's your point?
Yeah, and the most expensive iPad you can get is only $829. What's your point? :dunno:

My 430W was about 10k and I can't use it anywhere else but the airplane either. Nor do I intend to do so, since I bought it to use in the airplane. What's your point?

That's what I can't figure out, if you're buying a tool for flying, why do you care what else it does where? I like the iPad for playing games and watching Netflix. It's decent for Facebook but crap for email since I can't attach a file.

You can attach files. Just do in in app.

It's not as convenient but hey...the iPad isn't a production device. It's a consumption device. If you look at it that way it's very good at what it does.

That's what I can't figure out, if you're buying a tool for flying, why do you care what else it does where? I like the iPad for playing games and watching Netflix. It's decent for Facebook but crap for email since I can't attach a file.

Files are tied to Apps, if the App implements an e-mail function, you can attach files to e-mails from it, all day long...

Note PDF Cessna Service manual about to be e-mailed from GoodReader...

4b94241c-d7f8-1ca4.jpg

Tell the App developer of the App you use to view the file type to put an e-mail button in their App. It's an easy call to an API.

Apple has announced that the e-mail client will be updated to attach photos inside the client instead of switching to the Photo App in the next version of iOS, since that one is fairly annoying.

There's no traditional "file system" browser or chooser within the e-mail client. Remember, it's an overgrown phone. Not a desktop machine.

You can attach files. Just do in in app.

It's not as convenient but hey...the iPad isn't a production device. It's a consumption device. If you look at it that way it's very good

Yep, it's good for watching Netflix, playing Angry Birds and Temple Run and checking weather.

Last edited:
There's a number of pro writers using them successfully. Magazine authors, too.

Probably the most vocal about it is Andy Ihnatko who travels extensively talking about Apple ecosystem stuff, and submits his work for various places, including the Chicago Sun-Times, from his iPad.

So it's obviously not just a "consumption" device. You just have to learn how to actually use the thing.

Similar to Unix/Linux... I see folks spend more time whining that it doesn't work the way their "computer", meaning their Microsoft Windows operating system, works... than just Googling and learning what they need or want to accomplish.

The aviation equivalent would be someone with plenty of time, money, and other resources, sitting at an FBO staffed with CFIs, complaining they don't know how to fly an airplane.

It's downright comical how many folks won't adapt to different user interfaces.

Just do it, as the Nike ad agency says...

For anyone who's visiting this thread still, sporty's just posted a pretty stellar comparison of Foreflight, Garmin, and Hilton. You can check it out here:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2012/08/navigation-app-showdown-foreflight-vs-garmin-pilot-vs-wingx/

Thanks for the link - That is a good comparison. Of note is that there were many ties.

Final score:
ForeFlight 5
Garmin 3
WingX 1

I would give WingX more credit on Accessories, ForeFlight and Garmin on Cost, but they didn't actually pick winners in those categories.

See what you did there Kent, you sent the hoardes of PoA there and broke it. Like the old Slashdot Effect, you've created the PoA Effect! ;)

46c4c3db-094f-9fbc.jpg

It's worth having SkyChartsPro just for the WAC charts, with Mexico coverage.

I organize all my "Aviation Apps" in one folder... some other Apps: GPS HD (Mapping program that lets you download maps to the unit- for when you have no Internet), MyRadar, LiveATC, CloudAhoy, Weax sites, and I put URL links to things like VFRMap, FAA TFR page, eApis, etc.

Does anyone know if CloudAhoy can run simultaneously with ForeFlight?

Yes, I do it all the time. CloudAhoy 2.0 is now an iPad app BTW.

Cheers

Thanks.

I heard about CloudAhoy yesterday so I DL'd the app. Then I got to thinking I'd have to minimize CloudAhoy to run ForeFlight while in the air, and if that would shut down CloudAhoy.

Can't wait to get in the air and give it a go.

Thanks.

I heard about CloudAhoy yesterday so I DL'd the app. Then I got to thinking I'd have to minimize CloudAhoy to run ForeFlight while in the air, and if that would shut down CloudAhoy.

Can't wait to get in the air and give it a go.

You just have to remember to turn it on! That's what I usually forget to do.

This checklist helps:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25479&d=1331576391

Just load it into ForeFlight's documents section and use it to preflight your iPad's setup before departure.

ForeFlight does not have binders automatically generated based on departure and destination airports in a flight plan. Garmin Pilot does.

Why do you need binders when all the approach and departure procedures are automatically organized on a tab for every airport??!

Personally, I'm finding Garmin Pilot much more disorganized than ForeFlight, which is a much more elegantly designed and intuitive app. I current own and subscribe to both and swith back and forth, and there are some features I like about GP, but FF is still by far my favorite.

The problem is not that the screen is not generating enough light. It's that along with all the light the screen is generating, it's reflecting a crap load of sunlight that washes it now.

Your problem is not that you need to add light to the screen. Your problem is you need to remove it (the light coming from the sun).

The problem is not that the screen is not generating enough light. It's that along with all the light the screen is generating, it's reflecting a crap load of sunlight that washes it now.

Your problem is not that you need to add light to the screen. Your problem is you need to remove it (the light coming from the sun).

You can do one or the other, it's a matter of generating contrast. Proper sunlight viewable screens are rated at much greater nits. I don't have to keep the sun off my G-500. I'm confused by everyone's always making excuses for poor technology and telling me I should just use some unnecessary cudge fix.

You can do one or the other, it's a matter of generating contrast. Proper sunlight viewable screens are rated at much greater nits. I don't have to keep the sun off my G-500. I'm confused by everyone's always making excuses for poor technology and telling me I should just use some unnecessary cudge fix.

I am not making excuses. I have told you in the past I think the iPad sucks in light. It's poor at it, and it's poor at it due to the materials they chose to use. Because of this, adding 10X the amount of light to the screen is not going to do crap for you.

They put the screen behind a mirror.

I am not telling you to accept it, or use it. I am just explaining how it is, and upping the screen brightness is not going to fix it.

I am not making excuses. I have told you in the past I think the iPad sucks in light. It's poor at it, and it's poor at it due to the materials they chose to use. Because of this, adding 10X the amount of light to the screen is not going to do crap for you.

They put the screen behind a mirror.

I am not telling you to accept it, or use it. I am just explaining how it is, and upping the screen brightness is not going to fix it.

I have a glare shield and reflection is not an issue anymore, it just doesn't put out the lumens required to generate the contrast it seems to me.

I have a glare shield and reflection is not an issue anymore, it just doesn't put out the lumens required to generate the contrast it seems to me.

Well that's what happens when you use a consumer device as a cockpit tool.

You, as a pilot anyway, are not who that thing was made for (unlike your Garmin).

Back