Best insurance rates for experimental

kwc98

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kwc98
I see there is a thread about renter's insurance, but a lot of comments about insurance in general.

Looking for a plane that fits my mission, an RV-9A seems perfect. I called Avemco and the price was 3500-4500 ballpark, before they knew I was a low time pilot. After I said that, she said I would be the high-end of those figures. That pretty much nixes that RV-9 for me. Ballpark on DA-20? 1500, much more doable for me.

All that said, can anyone point me in the right direction on getting a decent quote on RV insurance? Or insurance opinions in general?

thanks!
Ken

I see there is a thread about renter's insurance, but a lot of comments about insurance in general.

Looking for a plane that fits my mission, an RV-9A seems perfect. I called Avemco and the price was 3500-4500 ballpark, before they knew I was a low time pilot. After I said that, she said I would be the high-end of those figures. That pretty much nixes that RV-9 for me. Ballpark on DA-20? 1500, much more doable for me.

All that said, can anyone point me in the right direction on getting a decent quote on RV insurance? Or insurance opinions in general?

thanks!
Ken

3500-4500 for a RV9A..... VERY hard to believe....

When I was talking to them, I didn't even mention the model, just experimental at first. I am glad to hear this is unbelievable, since that tells me I can do much better. I thought this was perhaps the dark experimental secret....super high insurance rates.

Avemco has always been way high for me. Usually double what other rates are for similar coverage.

EAA worked for me. Very low tailwheel time and a bad landing with aircraft damage two years ago. Homebuilt. $608.

Good luck. I tried shopping for insurance on my Sonex and they wanted $2500 a year. I couldn't justify spending that kind of cash to insure something that only cost me 15k to build. I ended up just buying liability insurance only through USUA.

Keith

NationAir is probably the biggest broker for Vans RV aircraft insurance in the country. I switched to them last year.

I'm pushing a thousand hours on my RV-6, with about 1300 hours total PIC time. Last year's insurance for $55k hull value plus $1 mil/100k of liability was nine hundred and something dollars. My only rating is PPSEL.

It might be that price is compared but often times the actual coverage given is not. I have used Avemco for fourty years. Long ago the agent on the phone explained why price was sometimes more when Avemco priced a policy, this included of course hours in type which is big, total hours, also things like fly ins which some insurance company's don't cover but don't necessarily tell you that. Etc. etc. hangar is another big one on hull insurance. I was always very satisfied and the one claim I had which totaled my airplane when snow collapsed the hangar, was paid in ten days. I think a lot of owners carry no insurance. Big gamble. Having said this , I was going to buy a rans courrier but they would not insure it or any experimental.

Last edited:
I like a lot of experimentals and I think many are built better than factory built. Probably in better shape safety wise than many 40-50 year old factory builts limping around today's airports, many with fairy tale log books.

I was going to buy a rans courrier but they would not insure it or any experimental.
Give NationAir a call and ask them if they can find a policy for the Rans.

There are a lot of Rans out there flying safely and are a fairly well known and proven kitplane lineup.

Having said this , I was going to buy a rans courrier but they would not insure it or any experimental.
Chartis coverd my E-AB rag and tube LSA taildragger (Merlin GT) through the Forrest Agency. Lower time pilot (170 total, 110 tailwheel at the time), no medical.

Last edited:
Falcon's been best for mine over the last 8 years.
Had a friend with a totalled plane and they were good on the claim.

Back