Best Instrument Training Kit

Marz7490

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheChicagoPilot
Anyone have a favorite? I used the Gleim kit for my private and was pretty happy with it overall. Just curious if anyone recommends anything different and if so, why?

Thanks in advance!

I used the Gleim kit for private with no complaints, I liked the way it was setup and prepared me well for the exam (93%). I am currently using the Gleim kit for Instrument as well, and I like it just as well as the private so far.

Frequently, there is no one "kit" that works for all, and some that are available and sold as a kit are a bit overpriced and filled with items you don't really need. Plus not every "kit" fits every pilot, and you could burn through lots of cash (as I did) trying to find the right one.

Here is how I would do it all over again....

TEXTBOOKS:
Free Books via PDF's on the www.FAA.gov website. But you can purchase bound copies if you wish. And sorta recommended so you can highlight and add sticky notes as needed.

WRITTEN TEST PREPARATION:

The written test is mostly a rote memorization exercise. And SheppardAir has one of the best systems going to help you post a good score.

VIEW LIMITING DEVICE:

ORAL EXAM PREPARATION
  • Your CFI-I
  • Jason Schappert's Pass your Instrument Checkride (Amazon Link)
  • ASA's Instrument Oral Exam Prep (ASA Link, $13)
  • POH From your Aircraft

There are lots of videos about the various topics scattered about YouTube. So if you need some visual learning support, search for the topic you need help with, view the video(s), then discuss with your CFI.

Last edited:
The instrument flying handbook,and the gliem instrument kit,worked for me.

Thanks for the response guys! I'll definitely have a look at some of the books you mentioned Mike Farlow!

[*]Jason Schappert's Pass your Instrument Checkride

Schappert has a book that's worth a damn? His private pilot blueprint is 50 pages of double space 18 pt font with 2" margins, half full page ads, and had some of the worst editing I've ever read. Spelling and grammar mistakes galore! Not to mention the crap he's feeding in it...

Agree with a lot of recommendations Aggie Mike made including using the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook, the Instrument Flying Handbook, the Oral Exam Guide, and just looking up the FARs and AIM on the internet and using Sheppard Air for the written.

Schappert has a book that's worth a damn? His private pilot blueprint is 50 pages of double space 18 pt font with 2" margins, half full page ads, and had some of the worst editing I've ever read. Spelling and grammar mistakes galore! Not to mention the crap he's feeding in it...

But definitely agree with mkosmo on this one...

Wanted to follow up on this for anyone else looking. I went with Sheppard for the Written and scored a 92%. Filling in some time now as I continue to prep for the checkride.

Thanks again everyone, fly safe!

Back