Best Inexpensive Avionics Suite

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
So I am considering a vintage project plane that currently has little to no avionics installed. What would be a representative price deduction compared to a similar plane with a full basic IFR suite of radios? What would be a resonable cost to install a basic IFR suite in the plane with no radios. My assumed avionics suite is dual Navcomm with GS and Xpndr and audio switch panel with mkr bcns. Can a icomm portable count for one radio? I would prefer something newer with GPS but could use an iPad for moving map weather displays, etc. Suggestions are appreciated.

20-30k to install everything with new parts from scratch is probably a ballpark figure for it. Maybe 10ish for used stuff.

You used inexpensive and avionics in the same sentence ;)
I hear you but I dont need G1000s but dont want Narco Mark5s either. Want something decent that will not stay in the shop all the time. If something is recent andnused tou have to wonder why it was replaced? Unreliable?

are you thinking AP and ADSB as well? Just dreaming, I think starting from scratch on a budget I'd imagine something like
GNS 530W (maybe GTN650)
G5
GTX345 xponder
keep an old radio as your comm 2
PS8000 audio

You could add to this by getting a G500 to give you an MFD and going to a GTN750 if you have a lot of space/$$

Autopilot seems like the worst. Hopefully we'll get some options that are lot more affordable in the next year

Get a Aspen PFD Pro 1000, GTN 650 and Stec AP.

$30k right there. Has everything you need including gpss.

If there is one thing you don't want to skimp on when it comes to IFR, it's your radio. At the very least get a used KX155. If you are wanting a to do a panel for a classic plane used is the best way to go. Other than Aspen I doubt there are any glass panels approved for your airplane so you will need at least a standard 6 pack steam set. The good news is, with everyone switching to glass cockpits, there are screaming deals on used steam gauges and old radios.

3k for used radio w/ glide slope
500 used gyro
400 turn coordinator
500 altimeter
500 audio panel w/ marker beacon
1000 for a dme for a little redundancy or 6k for a used garmin 430W.
Add another 1k for other instruments and gauges.
Probably another 1k for breakers, wiring, and used antennas.
1K for transponder

How much an avionics technician charges to put this in I have no clue.

This is what I would consider a bare bones IFR panel with all used avionics for about 9K plus installation.

If there is one thing you don't want to skimp on when it comes to IFR, it's your radio. At the very least get a used KX155. If you are wanting a to do a panel for a classic plane used is the best way to go. Other than Aspen I doubt there are any glass panels approved for your airplane so you will need at least a standard 6 pack steam set. The good news is, with everyone switching to glass cockpits, there are screaming deals on used steam gauges and old radios.

500 used gyro
400 turn coordinator
500 altimeter
1K for transponder

How much an avionics technician charges to put this in I have no clue.

This is what I would consider a bare bones IFR panel with all used avionics for about 9K plus installation.

Never 1000 for a DME. For 1000 you can get an old Apollo GPS in there, that can replace DME, ADF and be en-route /G.
GTX327 for 400-500, not 1k.

Installation for all that probably 3-5k. It'll be a 15k panel with second hand non-2020-compliant parts all in, installed.

Never 1000 for a DME. For 1000 you can get an old Apollo GPS in there, that can replace DME, ADF and be en-route /G.
GTX327 for 400-500, not 1k.

Installation for all that probably 3-5k. It'll be a 15k panel with second hand non-2020-compliant parts all in, installed.
I didn't consider an older GPS like an KLN which can be had for around 1k. Replace the older transponder with a GTX garmin unit and you will be 2020 compliant for about 4k more.

I'd look at:
Garmin GMA340 audio panel (has marker beacon, audio inputs, 6 place intercom)
Apollo GX60 for GPS/Com (it's approach certified but not WAAS)
Garmin SL30 for Nav/Com
GTX345 transponder for ADS-B compliance

You can put this together relatively cheap on the used market (except the Txp) and be easy enough to upgrade the GPS later.

I believe that the plane has the Garmin audio panel and a GX55 GPS. I would need decent Navcomms plus glide slope and Xpndr.

Unless it's a experimental, ain't no such thing, and even then...

Buy a plane with 85-90% of the panel you want already installed, I'd sooner OH a engine or do major cosmetic stuff than pay for a major panel upgrade.

Is this just for IFR? Like getting your IFR ticket, or is this going to be a real single pilot IMC plane?

If it's the latter, I'd want a GNS430, Stec 30 with alt hold, GPSS and a HSI at least.

Last edited:
Unless it's a experimental, ain't no such thing, and even then...

Buy a plane with 85-90% of the panel you want already installed, I'd sooner OH a engine or do major cosmetic stuff than pay for a major panel upgrade.

Is this just for IFR? Like getting your IFR ticket, or is this going to be a real single pilot IMC plane?

If it's the latter, I'd want a GNS430, Stec 30 with alt hold, GPSS and a HSI at least.

If it's a classic it probably isn't approved for an autopilot unless it's a Bonanza or something along those lines. GNS430 is overkill in my opinion. Nice to have sure, but an older KLN or Apollo unit will do what you need especially if using an IPAD as a back up for situational awareness.

For a IFR plane sure. For a IMC plane I'd find a plane with a GNS.

Also if you're going be restoring this thing, it would be silly to have a KLN in it

For a IFR plane sure. For a IMC plane I'd find a plane with a GNS.

Also if you're going be restoring this thing, it would be silly to have a KLN in it
Except for the 5k+ you save going with the KLN.

You'll save even more buying the plane with the GNS already installed

The good news is, with everyone switching to glass cockpits, there are screaming deals on used steam gauges and old radios.

500 used gyro
400 turn coordinator
500 altimeter
1K for transponder

How much an avionics technician charges to put this in I have no clue. This is what I would consider a bare bones IFR panel with all used avionics for about 9K plus installation.

I could cherry pick items out of your list a bit (an old KT-76A transponder can be had for just a few hundred dollars, for example) but close enough. I think a real IFR machine, even a barebones example, needs two navcoms which you alluded to in your used Garmin 430W line item. Most 430Ws are going for $7-7.5k right now, at least last I checked which was admittedly a few months ago. They're still running a premium.

If the goal was true barebones but safe IFR on a budget I'd be tempted to give up the GPS altogether and go with dual KX-155s. An IFR GPS installation adds big $$ to the bill.

Otherwise you could bump this from $10kish to $20kish quite easily and still have a very basic panel. It's easy to spend a little more for a little nicer stuff but not have any extra capability. A question worth asking the OP is whether or not he intends to fly in ADS-B airspace. If so you need to add another $5k onto the price.

The installation cost will probably exceed $10k, if I had to guess. You have to ask yourself when you install old gear whether it's worth it to spend that much to install it only to have to pay installation costs again for new gear when the time cones. Not saying there's a right or wrong there, just a consideration for the OP.

Personally speaking this is a slippery slope and I'd go either pretty basic (old stuff, non ADS-B, no GPS) or all the way in the other direction and get some modern gear mixed in with that stuff.

Back