Best IFR Book(s)

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I have a renewed interest in an instrument ticket. Other than some videos I watched years ago (thanks, Nauga), I haven't pursued in-depth knowledge on the subject.

With that in mind, what is a good (readable) book on the subject? I'm plenty technical, and very capable of learning from a textbook, but it helps if the writing style is better rather than worser. ;-)

And yes, I'd prefer to start with a book, rather than videos, ground school, or other avenues.

Any suggestions?

If you're gonna use books. I buy the ASA Instrument Test Prep book and use it and the practice test to asses my readiness for the written exam. All the other info you need you can download for free from the FAA.

You'll want download these free handbooks and manuals from the FAA's website :

Instrument Flying Handbook
Instrument Procedures Handbook
Aviation Weather
Aviation Weather Services
Instrument Pilot Practical Test Standards

One other book I highly recommend you buy is the ASA Instrument Oral Exam Guide.

Oh yeah, don't forget your 2016 FAR/AIM!

If you just want some additional leisurely reading about instrument flying, read "Weather Flying," By Robert Buck (5th ed.) And "Flying IFR", by Richard Collins.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Explained-Professional-Richie-Lengel/dp/0974261300

51syKo8OuNL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I like Rod Machado Instrument flying handbook for the graphical explanations and the ASA test pre book. Gleim is ok and Mastering Instrument Flying is pretty good.

If you're gonna use books. I buy the ASA Instrument Test Prep book and use it and the practice test to asses my readiness for the written exam. All the other info you need you can download for free from the FAA.

You'll want download these free handbooks and manuals from the FAA's website :

Instrument Flying Handbook
Instrument Procedures Handbook
Aviation Weather
Instrument Pilot Practical Test Standards

One other book I highly recommend you buy is the ASA Instrument Oral Exam Guide.
Agree with all except for the oral exam book. The method that covers (rote Q and A) isn't done anymore. Now the oral is scenario based and covers the required items from the PTS. So I'd vote for the PTS over the prep guide.

Another book worth getting is The Complete Advanced Pilot by our own Bob Garner and available from www.asa2fly.com

An instructor turned me on to this book. Which is a nice summary of the major IFR flying items you really need to know. It's a good reference booklet I use when quick review is needed.

And don't forget your cat and duck.

+1 for the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook. They are free.

Be familiar with the legends for the approach plates and enroute charts. In fact, the more you can memorize these, the better. The 2 instrument books mentioned above are definitely required along with the PTS book.

For the actual "flying" parts, it's hard to beat Peter Dogan's book.

Several books a DPE-friend of mine recommended were:

FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook
Aviation Weather

Read the above books cover to cover. They can be downloaded free or purchased. No excuses.

Immediately prior to the checkride, review the following to make sure you or your CFII haven't missed something obvious:

Instrument Practical Test Standards
ASA Instrument Oral Exam Guide or Gleim PTS Guide

When the time comes, a mock oral and checkride with your CFII prior to your actual ride, some fine-tuning, and you'll do great.

Now - As NIKE used to say:

JUST DO IT!

I like Rod Machado Instrument flying handbook for the graphical explanations and the ASA test pre book. Gleim is ok and Mastering Instrument Flying is pretty good.

+1 for Rod's book. His jokes are a little hokey (as usual) but it explains the material much better than the government publications. Reading through the Instrument Flying Handbook like a regular book requires a pretty high attention span that a lot of people don't have (like me).

Take an approach chart and identify EVERY symbol and letter and understand what each means.

Design an approach to an airport, like YOUR airport and draw the approach plate precisely including every item.

The FAA books were what I used. Yeah the oral is more scenario based but I felt the ASA Oral Exam Guide gave me the regulatory basis(What equipment is required, when is an alternate needed, etc) to get me through the scenarios.

The 8th edition has some scenarios in it, in addition to the traditional stuff.

Add another vote for Rod Machado's book. Very readable. There's some humor in it(or maybe not humor, depending on what you find funny), but it keeps it from getting too boring.

I'm going through the ASA Oral Exam guide right now and I like it as well.

Here is what I have:

For learning and reading to fly instruments

Rod Machado's Instrument book is great on photos and quick how-toe
Instrument Flight Training Handbook the PIC book is good
ASA Instrument Flying books are good
FAA Instrument Flying and Instrument Procedure are free and good albeit dry reading

Instrument Pilot Handbook is the best for actual techniques for flying on instruments
and has good cheatsheets for copy down clearance and flying approaches.

For Test Prep I have:

Gleim
ASA Test prep
Shepard Air

A lot of books but I love to read different perspectives.

Back