Best Headset

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Thought I would start a thread on what everyone thought was the best headset in aviation.

We researched them for a year and found the Telex stratus 50-d to be the best of the best by a good margin. In second place we found the Lightspeed 30-3g's to be very good.

After hours testing them in the plane and in the sound booths I found the BOSE headset did not even make the top 5 regardless of price.

I have also used david clarks for years and have been very happy with them (non ANR). I thought about getting the ANR conversion, and still might, for a set of 10-20 clarks that are collecting dust in the basement.

So what's your favorite?

I recently had the mooney wired for my bose headsets..I love em, However, I have not tried the lightspeeds.

Michael

The best headset is the one that meets your technical requirement and feels the best on YOUR head. Since there ain't no two of us with the same head, there ain't no one headset that's best for all of us -- you gotta fly 'em before you buy 'em.

I love my DC's (H10-13.4S) and am currently contemplating my next set.... options on the table are
1. Buy a cheapie (or used set) for a passanger and stick with mine

2. Get the DC H10-13X ANR I really want (Don't fly all so much that I am going to destroy my hearing I think, but I've heard great stuff about ANR)

3. Get a new H10-13.4S for myself (the head pad has changed since I bought mine) and leave it at that.

I do know a guy who has two of the Bose, and loves them. I think there are alot of great options, but I like the durability, warranty and customer service of David Clark's.

Last edited:
Best headset? It depends on the shape of your head! (and the shape of your wallet!)

When I recently purchased my first ANR set, I went to a big pilot shop (advantage of being in LA) and tried on about ten different makes/models. I went with the Lightspeed Twenty-3G. For me, the difference in cost for the Thirty-3G isn't worth it. I also have a 12-year old David Clark 13.4, which I still think is a really great headset - very comfortable, and very good NR for an non-ANR set. The DCs have also taken a lot of abuse/neglect and seem to be pretty bullet-proof. I also have a couple pair of $90 Marv Golden's (re-branded Pilot Avionics, I think) for the back seat. They're nothing special, but I modified one with an Oregon Aero upgrade kit, and now it's pretty decent (speaker sound quality is only "fair" though).

Jeff

T Bone said:
I do know a guy who has two of the Bose, and loves them. I think there are alot of great options, but I like the durability, warranty and customer service of David Clark's.

I agree! Just a month ago I sold a 10-30 DC headset that was purchased in the late 70's. They never had a problem and were still worth $85 when I sold them.

And let me add...if it isn't ANR/ENC, save your money (ANR/ENC now is cheaper than a hearing aid later) and your ears and get one that is.

Jeff Oslick said:
Best headset? It depends on the shape of your head! (and the shape of your wallet!)

When I recently purchased my first ANR set, I went to a big pilot shop (advantage of being in LA) and tried on about ten different makes/models. I went with the Lightspeed Twenty-3G. For me, the difference in cost for the Thirty-3G isn't worth it. I also have a 12-year old David Clark 13.4, which I still think is a really great headset - very comfortable, and very good NR for an non-ANR set. The DCs have also taken a lot of abuse/neglect and seem to be pretty bullet-proof. I also have a couple pair of $90 Marv Golden's (re-branded Pilot Avionics, I think) for the back seat. They're nothing special, but I modified one with an Oregon Aero upgrade kit, and now it's pretty decent (speaker sound quality is only "fair" though).

Jeff

I agree - I went with the Lightspeed Twenty 3G also because I couldn't justify the Thirty 3G price. So far I love the 20-3G's, only problem I have had so far is in one plane, when I talk - I get a high freq. hiss in the background. If I cup the mic with my hand, it changes the hiss level. May be the intercom also, I'm not sure.
Also, I tend to hit the top of the strap (thick pad) on the ceiling of the Pipers I fly. :confused:
Eric
________
Nexium Class Action

Last edited:
Don't forget to check the weight of these suckers. I absolutely love my Lightspeed 20XL's for the ANR, but the one (and only) time I flew with a friend for 6+ hours in one day, I really felt it in my neck. I never noticed that before on my usual short 1-2 hour hops.

-Rich

I've owned a DC 13.4 headset by recommendation by my instructor, and it was excellent. Recently he's suggested the Denalis he himself purchased (at least he's not saying to get something that he himself isn't willing to spend the money on ;) ).. I haven't worn enough headsets to know for sure, but the 13.4s seemed to work well, and as others have said, they feel really solid. I guess I'm not sure if I really need ANR since right now I'll just be dealing with the C-150 and maybe the 172 (if I go into CAP).

wbarnhill said:
I've owned a DC 13.4 headset by recommendation by my instructor, and it was excellent. Recently he's suggested the Denalis he himself purchased (at least he's not saying to get something that he himself isn't willing to spend the money on ;) ).. I haven't worn enough headsets to know for sure, but the 13.4s seemed to work well, and as others have said, they feel really solid. I guess I'm not sure if I really need ANR since right now I'll just be dealing with the C-150 and maybe the 172 (if I go into CAP).

If you really like the 13.4's you might want to think about getting the ANR upgrade from http://www.headsetsinc.com/ or http://www.anr-headsets.com/ . I've heard that they are very good and only $175 if you install them yourself.

Cathy and I both love our David Clark's. Mine has a Headsets, Inc. ANR conversion, and has convinced me of the worth of ANR. We're saving pennies now to get Cathy an ANR set or the Headsets, Inc. conversion for hers. Sean is wearing my old Lightspeed QFR Solo headsets. I also liked these headsets, and Sean really likes them. I'll be replacing his with QFR CC ANR headsets as soon as we can, unless he likes the Telex 150 Echelon set when he tries it. We've also got an Avcomm headset originally bought for Sean, but they don't fit him yet. All the headset perform well, and are worth the money at their various price points. I like the Lightspeeds, and they've got fantastic customer service, but David Clark's have become my favorite.

I really like my David Clark 13.4s. The older DCs I've worn felt like my head was in a vice and began to really hurt after an hour. I've worn my 13.4s for 6 hours at a time in comfort. I would really like to try one of the ANR conversion kits. Are there more than one? If so what's the best and where do I find them?

Jeannie

I wear Bose at work. Love them because they can be worn all day everyday without a problem. I have two sets of DC ANRs as well as a couple of DC 10-40s. Much as I liked the DCs and really like the DC company, the Bose meet the "long time wear" need a bit better. The Bose are pricey but if you value your hearing and comfort it's money well spent.

Maverick said:
I really like my David Clark 13.4s. The older DCs I've worn felt like my head was in a vice and began to really hurt after an hour. I've worn my 13.4s for 6 hours at a time in comfort. I would really like to try one of the ANR conversion kits. Are there more than one? If so what's the best and where do I find them?

Jeannie

In my post above there are links for the two major ANR conversion kit mfg's.

I think it's all personal preference and mission demands. I use my Bose X in the helicopters, love 'em. We have one R22 with Lightspeed Twenty 3G's in it, and I don't like the fit, weight or feel of those headsets at all. We have David Clark headsets for the students and tours because they're rugged as heck and comfy for an hour or two.

So the best ones are the ones best for you!

My light speed 20XLs is a good ANR set at a reasonable price. Just flew yesterday with a CFI friend who has the bose. He says they are ok but not worth the money. The bose seem to be light and thus better for longer wear but otherwise my 20XLs fit the bill well.
I've been interested in checking out the micro sets like the panther, the auricomm and now lightspeed has one of those super micro sets. They say they are as good as ANR. Anyone try them yet?

The one on my head in the avatar is a DRE ENC-6000
http://www.drecomm.com/6kservice.htm
I bought them for only $260 at the time. Now they go for $299.

I've used the DRE for more than 3 years at this point with not a single problem. Of course, that means they aren't as good as with Lightspeed where they always fix them repeatedly at no charge. ;)

The DREs have remained comfortable on long legs. I don't have to deal with them getting clammy on hot days as compared with the Dave Clark.

I have a pair of Pilot 17-79 which I used for a few years until I found out how badly they needed passive capability when the battery dies. I give those to passengers. They're good and lightweight. I liked that they have no power cord because the battery is inside the earcup.
http://www.pilot-avionics.com/html/html_root/independenceanr.htm

My first pair is a Dave Clark H10-60. I never had a problem with them, other than the discomfort on long legs due to the clamping pressure. You can adjust the pressure. I parked those when I decided to try ANR. ANR is quieter. I'll put an ANR kit in them as soon as one has auto shutoff.

mikea said:
snip

My first pair is a Dave Clark H10-60. I never had a problem with them, other than the discomfort on long legs due to the clamping pressure. You can adjust the pressure. I parked those when I decided to try ANR. ANR is quieter. I'll put an ANR kit in them as soon as one has auto shutoff.

Looking at the links that were posted earlier, I noticed that Headsets, Inc now boasts of auto shut off, which would be handy. So far I've only needlessly killed one battery, but there will be more.

My first was a pair of Sigtronics. I used them thru most of my primary training until I treated myself to a pair of DC 10-13X ANRs. Since they're the only ANRs I've used, I think they are terrific. We used Telex 100 echelons while on vacation. My pax loved them, even better than the Sigs. So I guess it is more a matter of personal preference than anything.
As an aside, a local Pilot Shop offers a lifetime warrantee on all headsets purchased there. There prices are quite competetive. If you want the name, email me offline please.

I loved my Bose headset the minute I put it on. I was using DC 13.4 with HS inc
ANR conversion before. Hurt my head on 3 hr plus cross-countries. The Bose does not, worth every penny.
Don

My first pair was a Peltor headset that the flight school was offering as an alternative to DC. And my second pair is the ANR Peltor with the 9 volt battery inside one ear cup, that way there is no battery pack hanging anywhere. The cord is also detachable at the ear cup, and has two cords, one airplane, one helicopter, so I can switch back and forth, and also wear them without a cord and still enjoy the ANR (good for lawn mowing, or riding the airlines). I have had no problems with either one other than worn out mic muffs.
I did manage to pick up a brand new DC helicopter set at auction a number of years ago, but I have never worn it, it goes to the passenger if the flight school does not have a set for them to wear.

We do also have a Buyer's Guide to Headsets on our site (in the public area): http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/2001/headsets.html

Robert

As I was rereading my post I think I was a little to harsh on Bose headsets. When I was looking at headsets I was mainly concerned with total ANR reduction performance. I have a hard head so comfort was a second concern. If I was mainly concerned with how light/least pressure the top two would probably be lightspeed and Bose.

I'm just saying this because I know how mad I would get if someone said a divice that I just spent 4g's (four sets) is not as good as other sets.

I tried several different headsets and finally went to the Bose for several reasons.

The Lightspeeds were quieter in the booth at Oshkosh; however, in my A-36 there was an annoying buzz in the headset. Sent them back three times; finally they refunded my money. I have DC ANRs and they are nice but heavier and have a thicker pad on top I didn't like. I had used the Bose a couple times and found it was far and away better in my plane and especially on long trips.

Best,

Dave

I have Pilots, I think 17-72s? they have ANR. I'd have to check the number though. having used my CFI's old DCs under the hood (his foggle wouldn't fit mine) I will never get regular - ANR only.

I switched from a Lightspeed Thirty-3G to a Bose about 150 hours ago. Flying 5-6 hours a day the Bose is a whole lot more comfortable but another thing to consider is that I only got 10-15 hours on a set of batteries with the LS and I get 40-50 hours with the Bose. Changing those batteries got old especially since the LS is terrible and I mean nearly worthless once you lose the power. The Bose is quiet even without the ANR, I flew it one day for 4 hours with no batteries at all and it was still great. Anyhow just one head and a set of ears, everyone is different like Ron said.

As many have said, everyone has different ears and a different head, so try out several pairs before buying...

That being said, if you fly for 4+ hours in a day, it is hard to beat the light weight and effective noise reduction of the Bose...

I started out with David Clarks, then moved on to Lightspeed. Still own a 15XL and a 20XL that I use for back seaters...

I tried a Bose X one day, the next I ordered my own pair. Today, I own two pairs of them, one for myself and one for Sue. They are worth every penny in my opinion.

I've flown as much as 13.2 hours in a single day, and while my ears were tired, so was the rest of me... I know that had I done that with the DCs or LSs, it would have been much worse...

Buy the best headset you can afford, you only have one set of ears... As Cap Ron said, get ANR, it really is worth the money...

I must be the only one wearing the Softcomm C-90 headset. It works for me, YMMV. Oh, and Captain Ron said - ANR is the only way to go. I do have a Bose product - the Quiet Comfort 2 headset for riding in those pressurized aluminum tubes that resemble airplanes. Sure made the trip to Singapore a lot more endurable. I'm glad I've got them for the flights home on Friday.

Just got the Lightspeed Twenty-3G's. I went with Lightspeed mainly because of the cell phone and music interface(s). Number two reason is that the biggest discomfort problem I had previously was this one little spot right on top of my head where the headband was resting, and the Lightspeed has that little cut-out there in their headband. The Lightspeeds replaced my Pilot Avionics passive set (with which I did once fly 7.2 hours in one day).

I tried on the 20XLc as well as the 3G, but the 3G just fit better - The ear cups don't stick out as much yet they're bigger inside. Other than that (and the different color) they're fairly similar, and only $40 difference in price.

I've been using it quite a bit while pounding the ground, only once in the plane so far. Using it several hours per day, the batteries lasted over a week. (Someone mentioned short battery life, and I believe the latest iteration of the lightspeeds - 3G/XLc with both cell and music interfaces - has fixed that, they're claiming 50 hours on a pair of AA's which seems to be about right so far.)

And, in those several hours per day I don't notice any discomfort at all. In fact, sometimes I can forget I have it on until I bump one of the ear cups into something!

I've been listening to music on them a lot while driving, and the audio response is fantastic. (I have certain songs I play to test audio setups, you'd be surprised what doesn't come through on some "good" systems.) In fact, I'm hearing notes I've never heard before in some songs!

I've tried on the Bose several times and they're excellent - But I'd rather have two Lightspeeds (with cell/music) and 50 bucks in my pocket than one Bose! :-/

I will still, at some point, consider Pilot Avionics and DRE for cheaper pax ANR's, but if I spend more than $300 I'll be getting more Lightspeeds.

Later,

Kent

Back