best headset for the money?

Had h10-13.4s since 2005- loved em- just bought DC pro X- love them even more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much does one of these cost? I can't seem to find this on their website.

$349, but he has been backordered since Christmas...

Highly recommended.

If you dont like in-ear, AvShop sells an unbranded lightspeed ANR for $249. I have one of those too - works great. Get the gel seals.

Highly recommended.

If you dont like in-ear, AvShop sells an unbranded lightspeed ANR for $249. I have one of those too - works great. Get the gel seals.

I love in-ear headphones (as long as they're not Apple brand) so I'd love to get one if I ever wanted to replace my DCs.

I love in-ear headphones (as long as they're not Apple brand) so I'd love to get one if I ever wanted to replace my DCs.

About the Halo's, I mentioned them to my CFI and his response was don't do an in-ear headset.

Pressure being the one thing I remember him citing.. is it an issue? are there other reasons to not go in-ear? I love my in-ear headphones.

About the Halo's, I mentioned them to my CFI and his response was don't do an in-ear headset.

Pressure being the one thing I remember him citing.. is it an issue? are there other reasons to not go in-ear? I love my in-ear headphones.

That's ridiculous. I fly with mine all the time and don't feel anything different vs flying with my Zulu's. The things I like best about the Halo's is the clarity, the microphone is the best I've ever used, comfort and sound dampening. What I prefer really is the fact that the Halo's significantly reduce the outside sound with exceptional audio clarity...BUT that they don't kill the low end as much as the ANR's do. I feel like I can hear the engine MUCH better with the Halo's vs the Zulu's. Also, comparatively, the Zulu's audio is much 'tinnier' to me since the ANR's are pulling out much of the low end...the result for me anyway is the Zulu's are a bit more fatiguing. I literally forget I have a headset on with the Halo's.

As it's been said many times, no one can give you the right answer - headphones are a very personal thing - I'm no ear expert or anything but I've been up to 11k with my Halo's in my Cherokee and felt nothing different in pressure while using them.

Last edited:
Used Bose X.

I bought one set new, found a second set used.

I second that.

I found my Bose X on craigslist for $350. I had to spend $200 to get it (GA flight to wilmington and back) but hey, I would have spent that money on flying anyway.

Highly recommended.

Do you have a link on those? I can't find anything resembling that...

Bought the Halos about two months back but managed to only put in 10 hours on them so far - and I'm fairly pleased. I couldn't tell you whether they are quieter than a pair of Bose A20s (which implies they're quite close in performance).

A couple of things to note though - you wanna have clean hands since the inserts you mold with your fingers go into your ears, so do your preflight wearing gloves (I used to do this before I got the Halos anyway) or wash your hands before flying.

Also, they require a few seconds longer to 'put on' - unlike the over-ear headsets which you just put on, with these you need to put it on, mold the foam insert, reach over with your other hand and pull on your ear to straighten the ear canal (though not necessary from my experience) and shove it in. After a few missed approaches, I found it takes me about 10-15 seconds to get it all set up at the beginning of a flight.

If you are doing a bunch of small flights or any other type mission where you constantly have to take the headset on and off - this might be a nuisance. The silicone/rubber inserts (instead of foam ones) should be quicker to insert since they don't require you to mold them with your fingers before inserting. Some said the silicone inserts don't provide as good noise cancelling though.

The pressure concern is unfounded, since the foam inserts do allow air to pass through in small quantities. If you were being shot out of a cannon vertically up to 10.000ft you might feel a difference wearing them, but the pressure gradient we experience while climbing in an aircraft isn't steep enough to feel any difference. The inserts do NOT seal the ear completely.

Another thing worth mentioning is it's design - it's almost nothing but wires and tubes, so you can comfortably leave it on an aircraft seat and accidentally sit on it without any risk of breaking it. :rolleyes: There's nothing to break, really - wire might bend but you bend it during normal usage to fit the shape of your head anyway.

And finally, the guy who makes them is a great guy who had patience with me asking him a bunch of questions, and answering them all - of course.

In case someone else needs a link: www.quiettechnologies.com

In ears have zero pressure, they also eliminate the pinch point when you wear glasses.

That's ridiculous. I fly with mine all the time and don't feel anything different vs flying with my Zulu's. The things I like best about the Halo's is the clarity, the microphone is the best I've ever used, comfort and sound dampening. What I prefer really is the fact that the Halo's significantly reduce the outside sound with exceptional audio clarity...BUT that they don't kill the low end as much as the ANR's do. I feel like I can hear the engine MUCH better with the Halo's vs the Zulu's. Also, comparatively, the Zulu's audio is much 'tinnier' to me since the ANR's are pulling out much of the low end...the result for me anyway is the Zulu's are a bit more fatiguing. I literally forget I have a headset on with the Halo's.

As it's been said many times, no one can give you the right answer - headphones are a very personal thing - I'm no ear expert or anything but I've been up to 11k with my Halo's in my Cherokee and felt nothing different in pressure while using them.

How do the Halo's do with in-cockpit noises that you want to hear such as stall warning horns, gear horns (anyone seen that French video of the guys with the new plane doing a belly landing?), and such?

I've been flying a Marv Golden ANR for a couple years now. Bought it at his storefront in San Diego by KMYF. Reasonable noise reduction both passive and active, OK weight and comfortable. They are usually about $230-240.

My next headset will be in-ear ANR like Clarity Aloft but the Marv Golden has been a good buy IMO.

'Gimp

in terms of all around . . . Sierra. Basically a Zulu 1 , a whole 0.2 ounces more than the Zulu 2, still has ANR and blue tooth - I don't own one - so ain't no bias.

That said - I did send my XL20 into Lightspeed last week for a Zulu 2 . . . and will prob use that instead of my Bose X. . . . then we can both have music in the front seats bluetooth . . .

Quiet Technologies Halo, Clarity Aloft.
How serious are you about Clarity Aloft in a light piston single? IIRC their own website says "recommended for jets".

How do the Halo's do with in-cockpit noises that you want to hear such as stall warning horns, gear horns (anyone seen that French video of the guys with the new plane doing a belly landing?), and such?

My plane has a big red light for a stall warning (it was factory that way - 64 Cherokee 235) so no horn. That said, I can hear - not great but can definitely hear 'the voice' on ForeFlight talking when I taxi out on the runway with the iPad in my lap or in the seat next to me. So, I'm guessing you'd be able to hear the stall warning.

The airplane I fly most has no inside noisemakers; the Citabria i fly occasionally has a stall warning horn that is loud and clear with the Halo on. I got the first Halo when I was still flying a Mooney and I heard the gear horn without a problem.

I have nothing else to compare. I now own three sets and can't imagine flying with anything else.

The airplane I fly most has no inside noisemakers; the Citabria i fly occasionally has a stall warning horn that is loud and clear with the Halo on. I got the first Halo when I was still flying a Mooney and I heard the gear horn without a problem.

I have nothing else to compare. I now own three sets and can't imagine flying with anything else.

Good to hear, that's probably my biggest concern switching to an ANR headset but it sounds like the Halo setup gives you the best of both worlds quiet, clear exterior audio with exceptional comfort and good cockpit audio.

I currently have Zulu2's for pilot/co-pilot and the Lightspeed Sierras for passengers. They are ok and I do like the completely over the ear fit, but the Bose A20 seem to fit my Mellon better. :confused:

FWIW, I did have to send both the Zulus in for repair (think I had voltage spikes on shut down in a rental plane) but their service was excellent and got them back in days no charge.

NOW FOR ANOTHER OPTION-:idea:-- I also have a pair of regular bose Quiet Comfort headphones for home that I want to try the UFlyMike adapter on for grins and giggles.

Anyone have experience with this???
http://www.uflymike.com/products/aviation/microphones/microphones.html

I currently have Zulu2's for pilot/co-pilot and the Lightspeed Sierras for passengers. They are ok and I do like the completely over the ear fit, but the Bose A20 seem to fit my Mellon better. :confused:

FWIW, I did have to send both the Zulus in for repair (think I had voltage spikes on shut down in a rental plane) but their service was excellent and got them back in days no charge.

NOW FOR ANOTHER OPTION-:idea:-- I also have a pair of regular bose Quiet Comfort headphones for home that I want to try the UFlyMike adapter on for grins and giggles.

Anyone have experience with this???
http://www.uflymike.com/products/aviation/microphones/microphones.html

I cant wait to use my Zulu 2's. Wish this weather would allow

How serious are you about Clarity Aloft in a light piston single? IIRC their own website says "recommended for jets".

I use them in a 182. No problems. Noise attenuation is very good. Stall horn can be heard.

If you want a trial run, go to Walgreens and spend $2 for some disposable foam earplugs. Wear them around the house for a little while. Watch TV; run the garage door opener; play some music on your phone.

You can still hear all that stuff, but it's softer. Kinda like you can still see everything through sunglasses...just dimmer.

You'll still hear everything going on in your plane. It's not like the world goes silent.

If you want a trial run, go to Walgreens and spend $2 for some disposable foam earplugs. Wear them around the house for a little while. Watch TV; run the garage door opener; play some music on your phone.

You can still hear all that stuff, but it's softer. Kinda like you can still see everything through sunglasses...just dimmer.

You'll still hear everything going on in your plane. It's not like the world goes silent.

I wear earplugs VERY often for work in paper mills and wear very quiet in ear headphones for music so I'm familiar with how those sound. I was curious if the ANR portion of the Halo made it even quieter to the point that things like horns and other sounds couldn't be heard.

You can still hear all that stuff, but it's softer.

I used to wear ear plugs under David Clark passive headsets. It made a difference but it didn't attenuate low frequency "boomy" noises you get from the propeller/engine as well as Zulu.2 ANR's do.... so that's why I'm skeptical of Clarity Aloft or Halos.

I still wear earplugs sitting in the back on jetliner passenger flights, it makes a difference there too in fatigue IMHO.

I use Hearos Xtreme earplugs.

I vote for the in-ear headsets. I've had both QT and Clarity Aloft and like the CA better. I've flown hundreds of hours with them open-cockpit behind noisy radials with no problem but as mentioned earlier the low frequencies do get through but not enough to bother me. Plus I can easily put glasses on and off which is a big deal for me. I'll never get another set of anything that goes over your ear.

Last edited:
I wear earplugs VERY often for work in paper mills and wear very quiet in ear headphones for music so I'm familiar with how those sound. I was curious if the ANR portion of the Halo made it even quieter to the point that things like horns and other sounds couldn't be heard.

Halos do not have active noise reduction. They are headsets where the sound is literally piped in through a small tube through a foamy earplug (or a triple-flange rubber eartip). The earplug (or eartip) provides the passive noise reduction of the headset.

If you already know how foamy earplugs affect ambient noise, then you know how Halos affect ambient noise. You will hear everything in your plane, including stall warning horns, just softer.

Last edited:
Exactly. I did a short flight yesterday to get some pattern work in to clean the rust off and used my Zulu's. As nice as they are, I am just really fond of my Halo's now...and the main reason is that I can 'hear' the engine better. There is enough noise attenuation with the Halo's (not ANR of course) but you don't lose all the low end like you do with ANR headsets. And like I mentioned before, it's just simply the best microphone I've used in a headset...literally the audio sounds just like normal...just everything is a quieter.

I have a few different headsets including Lightspeed Sierra and Clarity Aloft. Prefer the Clarity Aloft as it feels less pressure on my head when flying and more comfortable.

At that price point:

New: QT Halo (www.quiettechnologies.com)

Used: David Clarks, Lightspeed Zulu (original), Lightspeed 30-3G

And check out http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com Both of the owners are PoA members and put out a nice product.

There is a used Zulu 2 on ebay right now for 550 buy it now, that would probably be the OP's best choice. Probably won't last long at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightspeed-...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2589a101fc&vxp=mtr

I am reading quite a bit of concern regarding not hearing alarms like the stall horn with Active headsets.

For what its worth, I have the Zulu2 head sets and have no problem picking out a noise like the stall horn or my Co alarm. Its not crisp as a pair of passive head sets but there is no problem hearing it.

Although I could be one of those super sensitive guys so your perception wont be the same, but even my wife can hear those noises with the Zulu2's on and she cant hear me talk when I am sitting right next to her in a quiet room.:lol:

I am reading quite a bit of concern regarding not hearing alarms like the stall horn with Active headsets.

For what its worth, I have the Zulu2 head sets and have no problem picking out a noise like the stall horn or my Co alarm. Its not crisp as a pair of passive head sets but there is no problem hearing it.

Although I could be one of those super sensitive guys so your perception wont be the same, but even my wife can hear those noises with the Zulu2's on and she cant hear me talk when I am sitting right next to her in a quiet room.:lol:

I don't believe that anyone actually using an ANR head set has written a report that they don't hear alarms like gear and stall warning. I have never missed hearing anything like that.

I don't believe that anyone actually using an ANR head set has written a report that they don't hear alarms like gear and stall warning. I have never missed hearing anything like that.

I must have been projecting from some outside conversations I have had about concerns with hearing noises you want to hear and got triggered from skimming back through this post:confused: hanger PTSD

The difficulties of getting older:lol:

I must have been projecting from some outside conversations I have had about concerns with hearing noises you want to hear and got triggered from skimming back through this post:confused: hanger PTSD

The difficulties of getting older:lol:

Oh I believe they were written, just from a position of ignorance. It's typical of people who don't want to spend the money to upgrade to form incorrect and/or irrational arguments against something.

It's certainly not a problem I've seen with my ANR.

But it's easily tested. You do test your gear and stall warnings, right? Try it with the ANR turned on.

ANR is only supposed to tune out the low frequencies, because those are what cause the damage. You can hear conversation with the ANR turned on, without shouting. I suppose gear and stall warnings can be low pitched, but I've never seen that.

The only drawback I've seen is that if the passive attenuation isn't any good (like, if the ear seals are breached), they can feed back and make an earsplitting noise right where you don't want it. I've only seen this if I try to remove the headset in a very noisy environment with the ANR on.

Having never used an ANR headset I'm basically worried that I would do this:

Back