best headset for the money?

Used Bose X.

I bought one set new, found a second set used.

I would like to get my own headset eventually, any suggestions? Budget between $350- $500

A brand new DRE 1001 is about $120. It's adequate for a student.

I upgraded mine to ANR with a kit for $200. That's with an extra auto-shutoff battery pack (really worth it). Still under your budget, but you do have to solder it yourself.

The most important thing is comfort. DC's suffer here. Then, it's low-frequency attenuation. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variation there aside from active vs. passive, and most headset manufacturers publish frequency response.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/denalid50anr.php

The Flightcom Denali ANR ($400) is what I'm using. I didn't really know what to expect when I ordered my first set, but after the first set came I liked them so much I went ahead and ordered a second set. I've tried the Bose and Lightspeed too. They are extremely nice but I could not see $600 difference between the Flightcom Denali's and the $1000 headsets. The Denali's are very light on your head without the clamping sensation a lot of headsets have and they come with a really nice case. Bang for the buck, I think they are very hard to beat.

Last edited:
Regardless, I suggest not buying one online if you can avoid it. Go into an actual store and put it on your head.

Sigtronics makes some really cheap headsets, but they feel terrible. You can't tell that from the website, and it may differ for you.

Some folks can deal with David Clamps. They are next to bulletproof, but I can't wear one for more than an hour or so.

I bought an ANR from Squawk Shoppe. Great product for the money so far. I haven't used any other ANR headset though. Im still working on my PPL.

I'm having a weird issue with the microphone and I'm 99.99% certain it's NOT the headset. Whenever I transmit, my volume goes crazy loud while on the radio in my ears. The radio is on a Garmin 430. When I'm talking to my instructor, it's perfectly normal. I fairly certain it's my intercom/radio in the training aircraft. I haven't engaged Squawk Shoppe since I haven't tried in another airplane yet. Once I do and it happens elsewhere, then I'll blame them. For now, I think it's my crazy trainer plane.

I will tell you. If you ever email Squawk Shoppee with a question...They will call you or email you back instantly and they are super friendly and helpful. Their website just needs a little help on explaining everything. I'll take pictures and do a write up after I test in another plane. After my order, I changed my mind on colors. No problem! I was their worst customer during the order, but they treated me very well. It's like having customer service in your family room! Amazing!

If I had to find a flaw with the ANR...It's the on/off selector switch. It's actually on/auto. There is no off. I wish the switch was a 3 position selector for on/auto/off. For now, I'm stuck having to unplug the ANR module on startup and then plug in the ANR module when I want it. Also. The toggle switch is easy to hit on accident from auto to on..but I think there must be a timer or something since the battery hasn't died after being on for a week. Perhaps the could use a slide switch or a stiffer toggle switch to prevent bumps when putting my bag.

Quiet Technologies Halo ++. Don't let the website fool you. These things are great. Note that they're in-ear. That bothers some folks.

I started with David Clarks and will never go back.

My Bose X has lots of vibration induced static. The ANR is almost useless. Without ANR turned on I can use them ok.

I think you ANR is broken. Mine work great.

I would also recommend a used Bose X headset.

Used Bose X headsets are a great deal if they're still under warrantee (ie less than 10 years old). They can be had for $400-500.

"Student" headsets are generally terrible and not worth the $150 spent. Those Bose headsets can later be sold for nearly as much as you paid.

If there's a shop nearby, try a variety for comfort and fit. Everyone's head and ears are different. I've tried the Halo's, great convenience, but don't like the earpiece. ANR is best invention for aviation, will save your hearing down the road. Spend the money on a headset that fits and suits you. It's money very well spent. Don't waste the $$$$ on gadgets and widgets, save for flight hours.

Most of the headsrt makers have a 30 day return policy if there's not a variety at your lical shop.

My Bose X has lots of vibration induced static. The ANR is almost useless. Without ANR turned on I can use them ok.
This statement makes no sense and sounds like you got a defective pair.

One of the problems with the Bose X is that they are designed to rely completely on ANR. They have little to no passive noise protection. That is one of the big things Bose did to improve it when they discontinued the X and introduced the A20. Without ANR, you might as well be using earbuds.

The most important thing is comfort. DC's suffer here. Then, it's low-frequency attenuation. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variation there aside from active vs. passive, and most headset manufacturers publish frequency response.
This is the single most common (virtually only) complaint with David Clark's, but I've never understood it myself. Is it an issue with older DC's or with certain head shapes?

I bought my DC ENC headset new in 2006 and never found them uncomfortable, and I've worn them for several 10+ flight hour days. Mine have the gel seal earcups. I have 3 used Bose X headsets that I got from Amazon for pax, but I prefer my DCs.

Sigtronics makes some really cheap headsets, but they feel terrible. You can't tell that from the website, and it may differ for you.

The S-58 model is okay in the comfort department, and much better than their cheaper offerings.

I understand uncomfortable headsets can be improved substantially with the Oregon Aero kits, but haven't tried them myself.

Clarity Alofts. No clamping light weight and pretty good noise reduction. Like wearing an earpiece very convenient.

For your budget, pick up a used pair of David Clark H10-13.4 or similar. Pay $150 or less. I bought 3 headsets this way and I found them all on Craigslist.

Then when you come to your senses, trade in your headset for a $200 credit towards Lightspeed PFX's when they become available. Trust me, ANR is worth it, even if the initial investment seems steep.

I tried the PFX at Oshkosh and I was really impressed. I have Zulu.2's now. I have H10-13.4 and H10-30 headsets for my passengers.

The most important thing is comfort. DC's suffer here.

I totally disagree. I have a pair of the DC H10-13s or whatever the standard PNR one is, and they're SUPER comfortable. I think it all depends on your head size. Whatever you get, see if you can't try one before you buy it.

I don't fly all that much right now, but once I start flying more I'll definitely make the jump to ANR of some sort.

I totally disagree. I have a pair of the DC H10-13s or whatever the standard PNR one is, and they're SUPER comfortable. I think it all depends on your head size. Whatever you get, see if you can't try one before you buy it.

I don't fly all that much right now, but once I start flying more I'll definitely make the jump to ANR of some sort.

You may find them comfortable, that's why I recommend people go to a pilot shop and put on a pair of various headsets and sit down and read for an hour. For me, anything more than 15 minutes with a pair of DCs is tantamount to torture.

I have a set of Zulu 2,s and after flying long day they make the top of my head hurt. After flying a week of long days they feel like my head has been in a vise.

You may find them comfortable, that's why I recommend people go to a pilot shop and put on a pair of various headsets and sit down and read for an hour. For me, anything more than 15 minutes with a pair of DCs is tantamount to torture.

And I've had them on for 3+ hours at a time and forgotten they were there. I like the reading a book suggestion.

I have a set of Zulu 2,s and after flying long day they make the top of my head hurt. After flying a week of long days they feel like my head has been in a vise.

And some people swear by their Zulus.

So the moral of the story is as Henning said. Try before you buy, because what one person finds comfortable, another person will find torturous.

Out of curiosity, what is it that creates the torture for you ( and others that find DCs uncomfortable)? Is it the ear seals? I have the gel seals and as I mentioned earlier, I have worn mine for 10 hours a day at times and not had a problem. Could be I just have a hard head.

Lightspeed Sierra has worked out great for me. They have great support and warranty too. $600 new so you may find one on ebay for $300 or so. Nothing wrong with buying a cheaper headset and upgrading later. It is nice to have an extra headset or two for passengers.

a good friend of mine is going to lend me several pairs to try out and see what I like. thank you for all the advice, I figured the Zulu's were great but I dont need a headache after a day of flying or after each lesson and I agree, DC's are a little hard on the head too, those I have tried before. I like the bose, but they are pricey.

I have a DRE-6000 ANR feels very much like a DC and I don't experience any real discomfort from wearing them. I am used to having ear plugs in my ears when on a job site so the QT's would be a non issue as far as sticking something in my ears. I plan to get a pair but for now I am just too cheap to do it and the DRE's are working well.

I have an old set of Telex ProAir 2000E that I have had foe almost 30 years. They still work well.

Not that my post is likely to change the bi-weekly best headset posts but, what they heck -
The best headset is the one that fits your head

a good friend of mine is going to lend me several pairs to try out and see what I like. thank you for all the advice, I figured the Zulu's were great but I dont need a headache after a day of flying or after each lesson and I agree, DC's are a little hard on the head too, those I have tried before. I like the bose, but they are pricey.

You are on the right track. Ear seal and comfortable fit ON YOUR HEAD are critical. Reliability and such next. Then ANR/PNR. And of course, price.

John

Out of curiosity, what is it that creates the torture for you ( and others that find DCs uncomfortable)? Is it the ear seals? I have the gel seals and as I mentioned earlier, I have worn mine for 10 hours a day at times and not had a problem. Could be I just have a hard head.

Clamping pressure and head band, even with gel seals and a lambs wool, I couldn't wear them long.

See, I have Zulus which are perfectly comfortable, don't discount them without trying them. My favorites for comfort though are my Clarity Aloft.

ditto, I'm too cheap or poor depending on your point of view... still sporting DC 13.4 all day... no issue here

Quiet Technologies Halo, Clarity Aloft.

Yup. Bought a $900 Zulu2 early in my PPL training. Loved it. Bought a QT Halo and now my wife/passenger uses the Zulu. And, you can damn near buy three Halos for the price of one pair of Zulus...

Another vote here for Bose X's. Keep in mind, Bose will also make any headset "like new" through a factory restoration. Last I checked, it was $175. Head on over to EBAY like I did. You won't be disappointed!

Henning has the best advise. Headsets are a very personal items. One person may love a cheap set of David Clarks while another person swears by the Bose. As a personal story, I've been using Lightspeeds since 1997 (currently using a Zulu), and love them. I tried DC's when flying for my airline, but they felt like a vice during a long day so I would bring in my Lightspeed headset.
I was tempted to "upgrade" to a Bose a few times and am glad I did not. I once rented an airplane with Bose headsets and thought I would be nice and let my wife use a pair while I used my Lightspeed. After 30 minutes she had a real bad hot spot and made me switch with her. After 30 minutes I had a hot spot. Does this mean Bose headsets are bad? No, they just don't fit my head right. The lesson is to try on headsets. If possible, try them on long flights. If you have an issue with a headset hurting try talking to Oregon Aero about their headset upgrade program. They turned my Lightspeed Zulus from great to fantastic.

Yup. Bought a $900 Zulu2 early in my PPL training. Loved it. Bought a QT Halo and now my wife/passenger uses the Zulu. And, you can damn near buy three Halos for the price of one pair of Zulus...

I originally planned to start out with the Halo's but they were on back order for about a month so I ended up going with the Zulu.2 on sale for $800. Have about 50 hours with them and love them. I'll probably end up getting the Halo's shortly if I seem to have some passengers now that I have my certificate.

Back