Best GA airport for downtown Portland, OR

SFDukie

Ejection Handle Pulled
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Don
I’ll be flying a c172 from the SFBay area for a weekend trip at the end of October, staying downtown.
Looking for feedback- is KTTD the way to go? Or PDX? Other?
Have read mixed reviews of FBO at PDX
Thanks!
Don

I've never been there, so my input isn't worth much, but I always thought VUO looked like a neat place to land.

I've never been there, so my input isn't worth much, but I always thought VUO looked like a neat place to land.
I was based at VUO from 1995 until I moved to AZ in 2016. I love that airport - scenic, historic (one of the oldest operating airports in the country). And though it is across the Columbia River in the State of Washington, VUO is the closest airport to downtown Portland (if somebody still wants to go there :( ). The VUO traffic pattern and radio procedure are a little unorthodox because of its close proximity to PDX, but easy if you're prepared for it, and Portland ATC is easy to work with.

Read up on the history of VUO and Vancouver WA - it's a fascinating place.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2005/september/pilot/field-of-influence
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver,_Washington

Appreciate the VUO replies. I noted it's close, but imagine it’s less convenient to downtown due to needing to cross Columbia River. Anyone want to comment about transportation to downtown from there vs other choices?

Will you be getting a rental car?

Appreciate the VUO replies. I noted it's close, but imagine it’s less convenient to downtown due to needing to cross Columbia River. Anyone want to comment about transportation to downtown from there vs other choices?
There's always Uber/Lyft or a Taxi. Pearson, Troutdale and Hillsboro all have Bus service within a few blocks walk. There's a Bus Stop right at Gorge Winds Aviation at Troutdale weekdays. Out of Pearson the bus will get you across the river then you transfer to a Portland bus. You'll have to make one in Vancouver transfer also. If you time things to do it during Commuters hours, there's a Vancouver express bus that takes you to Downtown Portland in the morning and then back in the Afternoon. I'd just put a $100 bucks in the piggy bank and save it for Uber myself. Or I could give you a ride. I'll still be around in Oct/Nov. PM me.

Will you be getting a rental car?
No

There's always Uber/Lyft or a Taxi. Pearson, Troutdale and Hillsboro all have Bus service within a few blocks walk. There's a Bus Stop right at Gorge Winds Aviation at Troutdale weekdays. Out of Pearson the bus will get you across the river then you transfer to a Portland bus. You'll have to make one in Vancouver transfer also. If you time things to do it during Commuters hours, there's a Vancouver express bus that takes you to Downtown Portland in the morning and then back in the Afternoon. I'd just put a $100 bucks in the piggy bank and save it for Uber myself. Or I could give you a ride. I'll still be around in Oct/Nov. PM me.
Thanks for all the detailed info and the incredibly generous offer!
I’ll put a half hour aviation equivalent in the piggy for Uber

Back