Best choice for Oil Analysis

TUPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TUPilot
I know there are a wide variety of feelings about the value of oil analysis, but for those of you that do get it done what is your preferred vendor to work with? I've dealt with Blackstone a bit in the past, but it looks like there are several other options (Aviation Laboratories, Lab One Aviation, etc.). Any preferences?

Keep in mind it's more for seeing trends.

Hay said, use blackstone, just pick one and stick with the same company.

Aircraft performance than filter cut, than oil consumption, than lab results compared to old ones, first one is just a base line

just my take but if you cut your filter or/and get a JPI (downloadable engine trend data) there's your oil/engine analysis...

in our data driven cell phone culture world I get how appealing this stuff is but IMO its Voodoo....

just my take but if you cut your filter or/and get a JPI (downloadable engine trend data) there's your oil/engine analysis...

in our data driven cell phone culture world I get how appealing this stuff is but IMO its Voodoo....

:yes:

so metal flakes....large, medium and small are voodoo?

No....it's physics of failure and how "it" fails. :yes:

I know there are a wide variety of feelings about the value of oil analysis, but for those of you that do get it done what is your preferred vendor to work with? I've dealt with Blackstone a bit in the past, but it looks like there are several other options (Aviation Laboratories, Lab One Aviation, etc.). Any preferences?

If there is a construction / farm tractor.. Ie, Caterpiller, John Deere, etc dealer close, just use them... Same testing eqiuipment, same results. 1/2 price and usually done in 4-5 hours..:):)

If there is a construction / farm tractor.. Ie, Caterpiller, John Deere, etc dealer close, just use them... Same testing eqiuipment, same results. 1/2 price and usually done in 4-5 hours..:):)

Yep. The (few) guys I know who do oil analysis on their airplanes all send it to the local lab.

Blackstone here. Most interesting data seen to date was when silicon levels rose sharply and the notes said, "you probably have a hole in your air filter". They were right. Went to the hangar and looked and saw a slit in the filter cut by a rock, and stuck my finger through it. Heh. New filter and the number fell.

ive used blacksone for my trucks and intend to use them for the plane also. They have always been pretty fast on getting everything done and reasonable.

I use Blackstone for my truck and plane. I like their write up and analysis style.

Back