Best aviator glasses under $100

FlyingForMe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingForMe
I tried a pair of raybans from Costco @$100.
I didn't like them, the lens is too flat and you see the reflection of your face and eyes in the lens.

I want good clean optics and don't need prescription.
I want a thin wire ear/ side frame so they fit on my headset well, and of course non-polorized.

Any suggestions?

I tried a pair of raybans from Costco @$100.
I didn't like them, the lens is too flat and you see the reflection of your face and eyes in the lens.

I want good clean optics and don't need prescription.
I want a thin wire ear/ side frame so they fit on my headset well, and of course non-polorized.

Any suggestions?
Try the ones from Home Depot, they are used as eye safety wear. they are light, polarized, and comfortable.

I buy 6 pair, throw them every where I may need them. the are about 10 bucks each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Indoo...y-Lens-Safety-Eye-Wear-90191-8V025T/202551333

Last edited:
Try the ones from Home Depot, they are used as eye safety wear. they are light, polarized, and comfortable.

I buy 6 pair, throw them every where I may need them. the are about 10 bucks each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Indoo...y-Lens-Safety-Eye-Wear-90191-8V025T/202551333
Thanks tom, I'm looking for something a little higher quality than that.
I learned a few years ago that a really good pair of glasses is worth the price difference. They will last longer, and you can see much better with them on than with a cheap set.

Also, you should not fly with polarized glasses, polarized reduces glare and reflections helpful for spotting other traffic, also you can't read your iPad in vertical orientation with polarized glasses.

American Optical makes nice sunglasses for around $50. Not polarized so you can read your displays.

I like the Hazebusters, have two pair.

I fly with polarized sunglasses... first serengeti's, and now prescription polarized. No issues.

In fact, I can see traffic much better now because the mild astigmatism was corrected and contrast went WAY up as a result.

Does anyone make a product like the hazebuster sunglasses with prescription lenses?

My vision is pretty good, passed my medical easily without glasses but I like to wear them when flying/driving because they reduce fatigue quite a bit. Right now I wear regular prescription glasses with hazebuster clip-ons. They work well but are starting to show their age. Also that combination is a bit heavy on the nose especially for a part time glasses wearer like myself.

Thought about transitions lenses too but I don't know if they'd "bust haze" as well as the hazebuster lenses.

American Optical makes nice sunglasses for around $50. Not polarized so you can read your displays.

I can read my displays just fine with polarized glasses. Aspen and 430W.

Now I do have to lift the glasses at some self-serve gas pump displays...

I fly with polarized sunglasses... first serengeti's, and now prescription polarized. No issues.

In fact, I can see traffic much better now because the mild astigmatism was corrected and contrast went WAY up as a result.

I doubt the polarized lens has much to do with your improved vision, it is likely because you have a high quality pair of glasses. The polarization does not improve vision as much as reduce glare.

The following is from an faa publication about sunglasses.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/sunglasses.pdf

POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment.
While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate thevisibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters.
Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation.

Last edited:
Serengetis all the way I just bought a new pair of the medium style on amazon last week for $88...had my other pair for alomst 10 years

Dont buy Polarized if you are flying behind glass intruments...I dont think this is an issue for LCD screens but real issue behind CRT displays. Also multi-ply windscreens can make things look distorted.

While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate thevisibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters.
Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation.
Yeah.. I've heard this before. I've encountered none of those situations. I'm also suspicious of the "sparkle of light" (specular reflection) argument. Specular reflection is highly dependent on the geometry of the situation, and shouldn't be relied on for spotting traffic. Even if it wasn't, polarized lenses only attenuate it some... they certainly don't block specular reflections.

I didn't buy the polarized lenses for flying. OTOH, I had a choice when I bought the prescription lenses and chose polarized (since I'm on the ground way more than I'm in the air) and they work fine in the air.

That said, I believe they cut the haze better than the non polarized, similarly tinted non-prescription glasses that were compared with in my informal, completely anecdotal study. :)

I've gone to the Oakley Radarlock. Light and comfortable. Non-polarized because I have older iPad... I like the yellow lens best, lest color distortion. The smoke color looks cool too I guess.

And they are vented frames. If you run or bicycle they are also great for that.

I've had my Randolph Aviators coming up 20 years almost. Best investment I ever made! If they're good enough for the USAF they're good enough for me!

A bit more than $100 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the length of ownership of sunglasses is inversely proportional to the price paid. A $100 pair would disappear within days. I've had a $7 pair for 10 years. Go figure.

I find the length of ownership of sunglasses is inversely proportional to the price paid. A $100 pair would disappear within days. I've had a $7 pair for 10 years. Go figure.
Same here. I know that gut wrenching feeling all too well when I don't feel my sunglasses on top of my head

I have the opposite problem, the cheap ones dissappear in a few days or break apart. The expensive ones seem to last me a few years.

I ordered a pair of the American optics original pilot, glasses from amazon. They should be here next week and I'll report back.
I went with black frame, true color grey lenses. 57mm.
I hope I don't regret the size but I think the raybans I had for a day were 55s and they could have been a touch wider.

American Optical, love mine ~$50/pair - if they were good enough for the Apollo Astronauts they are good enough for me.

'Gimp

American Optical, love mine ~$50/pair - if they were good enough for the Apollo Astronauts they are good enough for me.

'Gimp

Touché

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reporting back in, I didn't like the bayonet style frames on the original pilot glasses. I also found the glasses to be heavy and uncomfortable. I returned them and am continuing my search.

Non-polarized Ray-Bans. I think they were a bit over $100 but not by much. I use them for most outdoor occasions when I am wearing my contacts.

Goggles4u.com - pick your frame and tint, and then just get the blank lenses. They take about 2 weeks to arrive, but great bang for the buck. I made prescription sunglasses with them and have been happy with them.

I just buy $15 a pair Target sunglasses and call it a day. 100% UV protection, non polarized, I just get a pair with thin metal temples that will fit close to the head. I go through too many pairs to buy the expensive stuff.

Back